Blog Entries

Cool Got my lower retainer today!

Well, I'm almost done with my Invisalign journey! I went to the ortho today and he put in my lower bonded retainer. I also have to wear circumferential elastics on the bottom for 3 weeks. So, I still have the 2 lower buttons for the elastics. He did some IPR on my lower teeth, too. Then, he took impressions for my upper retainer. After a lot of discussion, I decided to go with the Hawley (traditional) retainer. He gave me a choice of Vivera (have to order), Essix (he makes them himself in-house) or Hawley (made in a lab).

Because I work in a hospital, I don't have time to take out the Essix to drink beverages like coffee, tea or soda pop. While I drank these with Invisalign, I only did so when it was close to switching out my trays. With the Vivera & Essix, I won't be switching to another tray in a few days. I'm too worried about staining, so the Hawley was the best option for my lifestyle. No, I'm not thrilled about having a visible retainer, but he said I'll only need to wear it full time for 3 months and then wean down to night time wear. I'm fine with that. Plus, he said he can make adjustments on the Hawley at any time. Those adjustments would require new impressions with the Essix or Vivera.

I will go back on January 13th to get my Hawley and I will officially be done with my Invisalign treatment. That will make nearly 2 years since I started (I got my 1st tray on Jan. 17th, 2013). I'm SO excited to being nearly done. It feels so strange to only have a tray on top right now! By the time I get my Hawley, I'll have been wearing my last tray for 9 weeks.

The finish line is in sight!!!!!!!!
    Invisalign Start Date: 1-17-2013

Initial round of treatment: 24 U&L, 14 attachments
    Refinements 1/28/14: 22 U&L, 16 attachments, 3 metal buttons, 5 elastics

Lower retainer 12/23/14, circumferential elastics
    Upper retainer 1/14/15

Ahhhh thats so exciting! I agree on the hawley and lifestyle. Having to take something out go your mouth when you're in an environment low on free time just isn't practical.

Congrats!
    http://fixingmysmileinvisalignstyle.blogspot.com.au/

26/26 U
    23/23 L
    9 attachments as of aligner 3
    Changing every 10 days

Refinement 1
    Don't even remember how many

Refinement 2
    11/14 U
    11/11 L

Congrats SopranoKris, getting to the end of the Invisalign phase is a joyul moment. Hopefully your bonded retainer works well for you. I just got the lower hawley and after a little tweeking it is fitting fine. How long will you have to wear the upper hawley for before reduced wear. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, mal & karl :)

Karl, I'm not sure on the upper Hawley retainer wear yet. I don't get to pick it up until Jan. 13th. I will be SO happy to stop wearing this upper Invisalign tray. It'll be 9 full weeks of wear once I pick up the Hawley. It just wasn't mean to wear this long. Getting lots of sharp spots I have to file down on it. If I recall what the ortho mentioned, I believe he was thinking of 3 months full-time wear and then taper off to night time use. Not sure if that's still the plan.

I'm finally getting used to the lower bonded retainer. Stringy foods get caught in it easily, but it's not too bad to deal with. I use a WaterPik, so flossing is much easier than using those threaders with regular floss.
    Last edited by SopranoKris; 01-03-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Upper retainer 1/14/15

Markham, Toronto, Richmond Hill, Stouffville
    Congrats SopranoKris!

One thing to consider is that not all retainers are equal for all situations. The hawley may be better in some cases, but it does not have as much physical contact to keep all part of the teeth in as precise a place as an essix or Hawley. The best choice depends on a variety of factors, most notably how your teeth started off.

Congrats again!
    Dr Jason K Tam
    Markham Orthodontist, Stouffville Orthodontist, Oshawa

Top 1% Super Elite Invisalign, Teen Provider, Invisalign Speaker's Bureau
    2012 Las Vegas Invisalign Case Finalist
    2014 Invisalign Case Publication

Invisalign in Toronto Blog
    **NEW** Before and After Invisalign 2.0 Video
    Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

MCO Orthodontics Facebook

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Dr. Tam!

Yeah, my teeth had relapsed after having had braces as a teen (now in my 40s). He wanted the bonded retainer on the bottom to prevent the over-crowding from recurring on the bottom. He wants the Hawley on top because he can tweak 2 of my teeth with it instead of doing more trays.

I'm SO happy with how my teeth look now. I can't wait to post my before & after pics!

Upper retainer 1/14/15

YAY! So excited for you!! I can't wait to see the pics :)
    ~Angela

INITIAL ROUND: 11/5/2012- ended 9/29/2014
    Upper- 50 trays
    Lower-20 trays lower ended 9/2013

REFINEMENT ROUND: Began 11/13/2014
    Upper- 10/17
    Lower- 10/18