Just started invisalign Jan 23!

I have been interested in invisalign for years and finally decided to take the plunge and get my teeth corrected. My insurance did not cover it so I got a flex spending account and put all the money in that towards my set and this covers about half. The total cost for me was around $5000 or so.

I got 42 trays on the top and 21 trays on the bottom. I am very excited to get my teeth corrected using invisalign but it is a bit of adjustment as you all know. I have this dull ache and the sores in my mouth right now are not too bad. I am already annoyed with having to brush my teeth so much. I love to eat and drink coffee and I am finding I have no desire for either one of these things right now because its a distraction.

I found this forum and I am looking to meet others that have or had invisalign and maybe learn a little bit about their experiences.

Look forward to meeting all of you.

Bradley

Markham, Toronto, Richmond Hill, Stouffville
    Welcome Bradley and wishing you the best in your treatment. Do speak to your doctor and ask what is happening after you finish tray 21, since you still have to continue on with the top. Will there be retainers for the bottom or will you continue wearing that last aligners until everything is done?

Looking forward to hearing about your experience!
    Dr Jason K Tam
    Markham Orthodontist, Stouffville Orthodontist, Oshawa

Top 1% Super Elite Invisalign, Teen Provider, Invisalign Speaker's Bureau
    2012 Las Vegas Invisalign Case Finalist
    2014 Invisalign Case Publication

Invisalign in Toronto Blog
    **NEW** Before and After Invisalign 2.0 Video
    Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

MCO Orthodontics Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MCOMarkhamOrthodontist View Post
    Welcome Bradley and wishing you the best in your treatment. Do speak to your doctor and ask what is happening after you finish tray 21, since you still have to continue on with the top. Will there be retainers for the bottom or will you continue wearing that last aligners until everything is done?

Looking forward to hearing about your experience!
    I am getting a retainer I believe.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad to hear you're getting a retainer. 21 trays is a LONG time to go just wearing the bottom tray.

Congrats on starting your journey. Let us know if you have any questions :)
    Invisalign Start Date: 1-17-2013

Initial round of treatment: 24 U&L, 14 attachments
    Refinements 1/28/14: 22 U&L, 16 attachments, 3 metal buttons, 5 elastics

Lower retainer 12/23/14, circumferential elastics
    Upper retainer 1/14/15

5. Welcome!
    You will probably get used to the soreness during the first couple days. As for me i like the pain cause i know that there is happening something... Instead of drinking hot tea i now drink 'body temperature' tea without sugar. Probably with coffee that wont work since coffee will stain alot more then tea..

Quote Originally Posted by SopranoKris View Post
    I'm glad to hear you're getting a retainer. 21 trays is a LONG time to go just wearing the bottom tray.

Congrats on starting your journey. Let us know if you have any questions :)
    The ortho said it would take 30 months to complete my treatment. That is a long time to me but I am very happy that I decided to go this route. I have waited that long just debating if I should do it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bracesforme2 View Post
    Welcome!
    You will probably get used to the soreness during the first couple days. As for me i like the pain cause i know that there is happening something... Instead of drinking hot tea i now drink 'body temperature' tea without sugar. Probably with coffee that wont work since coffee will stain alot more then tea..
    Yeah I am not much of a tea guy but I might need to reconsider. I am a software developer and I like to get amped up on coffee cause I feel like it makes me work better. I really have no desire for coffee now because it is such a hassle to drink it. Only time will tell how I do with it because I am sure I will need to get my caffeine from some where.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bdwoods View Post
    Yeah I am not much of a tea guy but I might need to reconsider. I am a software developer and I like to get amped up on coffee cause I feel like it makes me work better. I really have no desire for coffee now because it is such a hassle to drink it. Only time will tell how I do with it because I am sure I will need to get my caffeine from some where.
    I'm a nurse and work in a hospital. I drink diet cola all day to keep my caffeine level stable...LOL :) Anyway, when I had the Invisalign, I could get away with drinking the soda with the trays in if I used a straw. I'm not a coffee drinker, but maybe you could get away with drinking coffee through a straw so it doesn't stain your trays? I experimented with this when I was a day before changing my trays, so if it stained, I wouldn't have to go a long time with them like that.
    Invisalign Start Date: 1-17-2013

Initial round of treatment: 24 U&L, 14 attachments
    Refinements 1/28/14: 22 U&L, 16 attachments, 3 metal buttons, 5 elastics

Lower retainer 12/23/14, circumferential elastics
    Upper retainer 1/14/15

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SopranoKris View Post
    I'm a nurse and work in a hospital. I drink diet cola all day to keep my caffeine level stable...LOL :) Anyway, when I had the Invisalign, I could get away with drinking the soda with the trays in if I used a straw. I'm not a coffee drinker, but maybe you could get away with drinking coffee through a straw so it doesn't stain your trays? I experimented with this when I was a day before changing my trays, so if it stained, I wouldn't have to go a long time with them like that.
    As a male I feel my man card would be revoked if I drank with a straw. Maybe in private but in public I pretty much guarantee my friends would lay in to me and that would be the end of that.

10. Ps if it takes 42 trays aka 2 weeks each it might be usefull to think about accedelent... It can speed your treatment up big time... (Changing every week). It is pricy though, i only have 23 trays so i thought it wasnt worth my money.
    About the drinking sugar drinks, i wouldnt do it. Normally your spit cleans and protects your teeth from decay, but with trays and soda stuck in the tray it probably can cause decay to your teeth.
    Last edited by Bracesforme2; 01-27-2015 at 02:04 PM.

11. I had 38 trays (plus refinements) at 2 weeks each and it wasn't so bad time wise as you get used to it after a while. As far as the eating/drinking with the trays in, don't even bother trying to eat with them in - I tried it once very early on and you can't chew and food gets stuck in them and it's gross so just always take them out it's no big deal really. As far as drinking with them in, when I first started I was all about having only water like they said but I loooove my coffee and I'm certainly not advocating this but after about a week on water I drank coffee every single day with my trays in for over two years since my ortho said her husband did it through a straw. I tried to use a straw but sometimes I didn't bother but after I was done since I like to nurse my coffee I would take out the trays and clean them and brush my teeth before I put them back in. I didn't have any cavities like they make you paranoid about but everyone's teeth are different and mine are very strong so they were ok. The thing you probably need to watch for is staining of the trays from coffee. All of my trays prior to refinement were the "old" material and cleaned up easy but once I got to refinements those were the new and current material which seemed more porous and hard to clean which I learned that you need to avoid pumpkin spice lattes for sure or you're stuck with an orange tinted aligner but once I got to refinements I really wasn't obsessed with my trays being crystal clear haha.

If you must drink with the trays in I would just try to avoid stuff with a lot of sugar or color in it for sure

Currently on Tray 38 of 38 U/L