1. I've been badly mislead

And you may be mislead too. About a year and half ago, I began treatment with Invisalign. I agreed to go with the treatment because the projection was 24 trays. I expected to go longer, perhaps 30 to 36 trays, as Invisalign never ever projects accurately. It is not possible to pinpoint a completion date, everyone is different.

About 16 trays in, they were not fitting, so back for a scan. Tray count went to 39. I was concerned to say the least, as my bite had worsened - bottom teeth were now hitting the back of my top teeth. Painfully. Fast forward to now. Tray 37 is done, back for a scan because teeth are far from straight and the bite issue is 100% uncorrected, and is in fact worse.

Today I show up at the dentist, and they unveil the plan for 70 (SEVENTY !!!) trays. WTF. Back when I signed up for this, I stated flatly that I would not do this if it were longer than 18 months. The initial plan looked fine.

So I am feeling very mislead, even lied to. 3X initial marketing promise is not within a reasonable margin of error. Not even close.

Lessons:

1. If you want orthodonture, see an orthodontist. They are trained properly and can spot nonsense fast.
    2. Dont't rely on a general dentist no matter how much you like them. Invisalign markets to them a program to make money. And they are not fully qualified. Period.
    3. Don't ever expect Invisalign to be truthful or accurate. I know 5 people in my circle of freind who similarly complain about the vast underestimation of time and trays.

Invisalign works, but for the love of God, see a professional.

First things first. Absolutely never go to a dentist for orthodontic work. That was your first mistake. Secondly, I'm sure your dentist did mislead you considering they want to make money on you and will tell you anything you want to hear.

My first Invisalign consultation was with a dentist. I sat down in his chair and made it very clear what I wanted. A better smile and to NOT have my wisdom teeth pulled. He evaluated me and basically told me that I would need to pull my wisdom teeth. I got the quote and left and never returned. I spent 3 more weeks looking for a qualified and experienced orthodontist to do my treatment. I went to him for my consultation and was overly thrilled with his experience, credibility, and his honesty in that there is no black-and-white "this is what will happen" with any orthodontic work, not just Invisalign.

I have been going to my orthodontist since January of 2013. I drive an hour and a half to see him about once a month. I am absolutely THRILLED with what he has done to my mouth, my teeth, and even my face. (I seriously look like a different person. People ask me if I have had plastic surgery!) This is because he knows how to move teeth, how the jaws work, how the face should look, etc.

I'm sorry you are having a bad experience with this dentist. Take your experience and be an advocate for proper orthodontia by going to an orthodontist, NOT a dentist.
    Tristan
    Began Treatment on February 28, 2013.
    53 Upper and 53 Lower trays.
    I change trays every seven days.

Began 1st Refinement April 24, 2014.
    34 Upper and 34 Lower Trays.
    Changed every seven days.

Began 2nd Refinement March 3, 2015.
    32 Upper and 32 Lower Trays.
    Changed every seven days.
    Read my Blog and my Invisalign Story HERE

3. Quote Originally Posted by TriPaC87 View Post
    First things first. Absolutely never go to a dentist for orthodontic work. That was your first mistake. Secondly, I'm sure your dentist did mislead you considering they want to make money on you and will tell you anything you want to hear.

My first Invisalign consultation was with a dentist. I sat down in his chair and made it very clear what I wanted. A better smile and to NOT have my wisdom teeth pulled. He evaluated me and basically told me that I would need to pull my wisdom teeth. I got the quote and left and never returned. I spent 3 more weeks looking for a qualified and experienced orthodontist to do my treatment. I went to him for my consultation and was overly thrilled with his experience, credibility, and his honesty in that there is no black-and-white "this is what will happen" with any orthodontic work, not just Invisalign.

I have been going to my orthodontist since January of 2013. I drive an hour and a half to see him about once a month. I am absolutely THRILLED with what he has done to my mouth, my teeth, and even my face. (I seriously look like a different person. People ask me if I have had plastic surgery!) This is because he knows how to move teeth, how the jaws work, how the face should look, etc.

I'm sorry you are having a bad experience with this dentist. Take your experience and be an advocate for proper orthodontia by going to an orthodontist, NOT a dentist.
    Not to hijack but thanks again for the link to the info about your implants! I got mine a week ago and just had the stitches taken out tonite. I was pleased that there wasn't much swelling and pain but the doc had me icing it and taking ibuprofen and amoxicillin and I stayed home the day of surgery and just watched movies so no major complaints at all. My gums are healing over top of my implant so I can't see much of the top of the screw part but I'm anxious to get through the next few months and get my tooth. :)

Currently on Tray 38 of 38 U/L

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mike View Post
    And you may be mislead too. About a year and half ago, I began treatment with Invisalign. I agreed to go with the treatment because the projection was 24 trays. I expected to go longer, perhaps 30 to 36 trays, as Invisalign never ever projects accurately. It is not possible to pinpoint a completion date, everyone is different.

About 16 trays in, they were not fitting, so back for a scan. Tray count went to 39. I was concerned to say the least, as my bite had worsened - bottom teeth were now hitting the back of my top teeth. Painfully. Fast forward to now. Tray 37 is done, back for a scan because teeth are far from straight and the bite issue is 100% uncorrected, and is in fact worse.

Today I show up at the dentist, and they unveil the plan for 70 (SEVENTY !!!) trays. WTF. Back when I signed up for this, I stated flatly that I would not do this if it were longer than 18 months. The initial plan looked fine.

So I am feeling very mislead, even lied to. 3X initial marketing promise is not within a reasonable margin of error. Not even close.

Lessons:

1. If you want orthodonture, see an Orthodontist. They are trained properly and can spot nonsense fast.
    2. Dont't rely on a general dentist no matter how much you like them. Invisalign markets to them a program to make money. And they are not fully qualified. Period.
    3. Don't ever expect Invisalign to be truthful or accurate. I know 5 people in my circle of freind who similarly complain about the vast underestimation of time and trays.

Invisalign works, but for the love of God, see a professional.
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience! I imagine there are some good dentists out there who do Invisalign treatment... but for me, I didn't even realize dentists could do it so only looked at an orthodontist. I was told upfront that initial treatment would get me "95%" to where I wanted and I knew I'd have refinement trays. I admit, I was a little surprised at first when my refinement trays seemed so many. But I changed weekly. I finished just shy of two years of treatment. Maybe the 70 trays is to change weekly, and not biweekly? (I hope so!)

It's not Invisalign that is not "truthful or accurate." It's the professional who's planning the treatment. As has been stated on this board many times (by resident expert Dr. Tam), Invisalign is a tool. The underestimation of time/trays also happens with regular braces. I had regular braces as a kid, and I think I was told it'd take 1.5 years up to 2 years to finish. I didn't get my braces removed until 2.5 years after I started. Teeth don't always move according to plan, even with an experienced provider!

I hope the rest of your treatment goes a lot better than it has! Good luck!
    Initial Round October 29, 2012
    Tray 32/37 Upper (8 Attachments, 1 Additional Attachment Trays 20-26)
    Tray 19/19 Lower (7 Attachments)
    Change Biweekly

Refinement Round February 26, 2014
    Tray 22/22 Upper (5 New Attachments)
    Tray 30/30 Lower (no new attachments)
    Change Weekly

COMPLETED September 29, 2014
    Attachments removed. Retainers received October 8 and October 14!

My Blog: http://invisaligned.weebly.com/

Markham, Toronto, Richmond Hill, Stouffville
    Mods- Feel feel free to remove my post in the other thread.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, many people do not recognize that Invisalign results will differ depending on who you see for your treatment.

-Invisalign is not responsible for the length of your treatment time or the number of trays. The doctor you are seeing is responsible for this and if there is a problem with the length of time for treatment if you have been wearing your trays, it is squarely on the provider.

-orthodontists are trained experts in tooth movement, but much of that is not with Invisalign. They are in general, as a group, more knowledgeable about the use of Invisalign, but there is a wide range in skill level and experience even amongst orthodontists.

In other words, Invisalign works well when planned well by the doctor and when worn well by the patient. Hope you can come to a satisfactory resolution.
    Dr Jason K Tam
    Markham Orthodontist, Stouffville Orthodontist, Oshawa

Top 1% Super Elite Invisalign, Teen Provider, Invisalign Speaker's Bureau
    2012 Las Vegas Invisalign Case Finalist
    2014 Invisalign Case Publication

Invisalign in Toronto Blog
    **NEW** Before and After Invisalign 2.0 Video
    Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

MCO Orthodontics Facebook

6. My dentist is very dear to me... I've been his patient since I was a little kid. Needless to say, I chose to go with an orthodontist despite the fact that my dentist offered Invisalign at a much lower cost.

It's like going to the transmission shop to have your leather interior reupholstered. :)

I guess I am in the minority, but I used a cosmetic dentist for my Invisalign treatment and got stellar results! I'll post some photos when I got home this evening! When I first started treatment and saw all the comments about ortho vs dentist, I was quite concerned, but it turned out great for me. I also didn't have a particularly complicated case with bite issues.
    Last edited by mlblair502; 03-02-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    Round 1: Began 3-8-13 - Stopped at 19 trays - original plan 19U/28L w/ 13 attachments-6U/7L.
    Round 2: Began refinement 1-3-14 - 15 trays both U/L w/ 8 attachments-2U/6L.
    Received Retainers February 24, 2015 - (6 months full time retainer wear)

http://michellesinvisalignjourney502.blogspot.com/