Thread: My results

My results

Sorry, I haven't been frequenting the forum as much as I did the first year or so I was in Invisalign.

I've finally finished not only my Invisalign treatment, but also the rest of the smile makeover which included root canals, crowns and bridges. I posted in a recent thread that I used a cosmetic dentist for my treatment and I have to admit I was nervous after I started my treatment and started doing all the research I should have done BEFORE I started my treatment, but I am one of the lucky ones and my treatment results are incredible (to me anyway.) I get compliments on my smile daily and it's a great feeling. Here are a few photos...I never did get after photos taken at the dentist of my arches, so I apologize for the amateur shots. I am wearing my Essix retainers in the after photos of my arches.

Michelle Tray 7 - After Invisalign.jpgPre-Invisalign vs now.jpg

Edited to add that I am wearing my retainers in the after photo. They are thicker than aligners, so my teeth don't close completely when wearing them, but bite is perfect when they are out. :)
    Last edited by mlblair502; 03-11-2015 at 12:53 PM.
    Round 1: Began 3-8-13 - Stopped at 19 trays - original plan 19U/28L w/ 13 attachments-6U/7L.
    Round 2: Began refinement 1-3-14 - 15 trays both U/L w/ 8 attachments-2U/6L.
    Received Retainers February 24, 2015 - (6 months full time retainer wear)

http://michellesinvisalignjourney502.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Wow! You look fabulous :)
    Invisalign Start Date: 1-17-2013

Initial round of treatment: 24 U&L, 14 attachments
    Refinements 1/28/14: 22 U&L, 16 attachments, 3 metal buttons, 5 elastics

Lower retainer 12/23/14, circumferential elastics
    Upper retainer 1/14/15

3. Wow you look so different! What did you do to close the spaces in the back? I got an implant for a molar that cost me an absolute fortune and I'm still waiting for it to fully fuse to the bone so I can get a crown so I still have a ways to go before I'm done but I'll be happy with everything so it is money well spent

Currently on Tray 38 of 38 U/L

Wow your results look amazing!! You have incredibly beautiful teeth. They are all a consistent color and bright white!
    Tristan
    Began Treatment on February 28, 2013.
    53 Upper and 53 Lower trays.
    I change trays every seven days.

Began 1st Refinement April 24, 2014.
    34 Upper and 34 Lower Trays.
    Changed every seven days.

Began 2nd Refinement March 3, 2015.
    32 Upper and 32 Lower Trays.
    Changed every seven days.
    Read my Blog and my Invisalign Story HERE

Blog Entries
    Amazing results!!! I bet you're thrilled!!! :)
    Initial Round October 29, 2012
    Tray 32/37 Upper (8 Attachments, 1 Additional Attachment Trays 20-26)
    Tray 19/19 Lower (7 Attachments)
    Change Biweekly

Refinement Round February 26, 2014
    Tray 22/22 Upper (5 New Attachments)
    Tray 30/30 Lower (no new attachments)
    Change Weekly

COMPLETED September 29, 2014
    Attachments removed. Retainers received October 8 and October 14!

My Blog: http://invisaligned.weebly.com/

Markham, Toronto, Richmond Hill, Stouffville
    Thanks for sharing and nice result! Smile lots!

It isn't 100% clear from the photos, but did you have crowns done on the anterior teeth in addition to the bridges done in the lower arch.
    Dr Jason K Tam
    Markham Orthodontist, Stouffville Orthodontist, Oshawa

Top 1% Super Elite Invisalign, Teen Provider, Invisalign Speaker's Bureau
    2012 Las Vegas Invisalign Case Finalist
    2014 Invisalign Case Publication

Invisalign in Toronto Blog
    **NEW** Before and After Invisalign 2.0 Video
    Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

MCO Orthodontics Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Invisaligned View Post
    Wow you look so different! What did you do to close the spaces in the back? I got an implant for a molar that cost me an absolute fortune and I'm still waiting for it to fully fuse to the bone so I can get a crown so I still have a ways to go before I'm done but I'll be happy with everything so it is money well spent
    I got bridges on both sides. Implants were just too expensive! All the money I have spent on my teeth in the last two years could have paid off my vehicle! LOL
    Round 1: Began 3-8-13 - Stopped at 19 trays - original plan 19U/28L w/ 13 attachments-6U/7L.

Quote Originally Posted by MCOMarkhamOrthodontist View Post
    Thanks for sharing and nice result! Smile lots!

It isn't 100% clear from the photos, but did you have crowns done on the anterior teeth in addition to the bridges done in the lower arch.
    Good catch, Dr. Tam. I had a crown on my right central incisor...I had it replaced and also got a crown on my right lateral incisor. This one appears to kind of tilt outwards just a bit, but when you look at the arch, it's in perfect alignment. I did have an issue with the color matching, they weren't getting them white enough (and I still think there is a slightly "greyer" tint than my natural teeth, but I think I am the only one noticing that,) so I had to go multiple times to get custom color matching done at the lab. Major hassle, but I insisted! I made them do it for the bridges too, even though they are in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by mlblair502 View Post
    Good catch, Dr. Tam. I had a crown on my right central incisor...I had it replaced and also got a crown on my right lateral incisor. This one appears to kind of tilt outwards just a bit, but when you look at the arch, it's in perfect alignment. I did have an issue with the color matching, they weren't getting them white enough (and I still think there is a slightly "greyer" tint than my natural teeth, but I think I am the only one noticing that,) so I had to go multiple times to get custom color matching done at the lab. Major hassle, but I insisted! I made them do it for the bridges too, even though they are in the back.
    Definitely a good idea on the extra crown :). What would have been interesting to see is the way your teeth finished after Invisalign and before any of the crowns or bridges. I only mention this in the debate of whether general dentists will provide a great result like experienced Invisalign orthodontists. To take nothing away from your result, which is very nice aesthetically, the use of the crowns on those two teeth as well as the bridges, likely helped your general dentist "mask" their lack of ability to move them with Invisalign from what I can see. Unfortunately, we don't see anything with regards to the root angulations of the molars/premolars or the upper anteriors, factors that will contribute to the overall stability and long term health.

This pattern is something that we commonly see with general dentists where their fees for Invisalign seem much lower, but they are selling cleanings, exams, and fillings before aligners as well as cosmetic work afterwards to make up for their loss leader. It works well for them because they can cover up the lack of movement in many cases with crowns or veneers. In your situation, it worked out because you needed the extra cosmetic work anyways, so it was a win win for both sides :).
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MCOMarkhamOrthodontist View Post
    Definitely a good idea on the extra crown :). What would have been interesting to see is the way your teeth finished after Invisalign and before any of the crowns or bridges. I only mention this in the debate of whether general dentists will provide a great result like experienced Invisalign orthodontists. To take nothing away from your result, which is very nice aesthetically, the use of the crowns on those two teeth as well as the bridges, likely helped your general dentist "mask" their lack of ability to move them with Invisalign from what I can see. Unfortunately, we don't see anything with regards to the root angulations of the molars/premolars or the upper anteriors, factors that will contribute to the overall stability and long term health.

This pattern is something that we commonly see with general dentists where their fees for Invisalign seem much lower, but they are selling cleanings, exams, and fillings before aligners as well as cosmetic work afterwards to make up for their loss leader. It works well for them because they can cover up the lack of movement in many cases with crowns or veneers. In your situation, it worked out because you needed the extra cosmetic work anyways, so it was a win win for both sides :).
    Here is a photo of my results before I had the crowns and bridges done. I had the crown on my right central incisor replaced on my request, because it was crafted with metal underlay and you could see it at the gum line. The right lateral incisor was replaced because it was dead and turning grey (due to an mouth injury when I was 8) - it was the reason I went to see the cosmetic dentist to begin with and what started the process.

Had I done the proper research before signing up for Invisalign, I would have chosen an orthodontist. I didn't though, and got lucky because I didn't have a particularly complicated case.

Edit: I paid $5500 for my treatment (Full Invisalign,) so no cheaper rate... and no work done prior to starting my Invisalign. Cleanings and exams happen twice a year anyway, so not sure this is a great selling tool to get people to buy into Invisalign. :)

Pre-Post.jpg
    Last edited by mlblair502; 03-12-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlblair502 View Post
    Here is a photo of my results before I had the crowns and bridges done. I had the crown on my right central incisor replaced on my request, because it was crafted with metal underlay and you could see it at the gum line. The right lateral incisor was replaced because it was dead and turning grey (due to an mouth injury when I was 8) - it was the reason I went to see the cosmetic dentist to begin with and what started the process.

Had I done the proper research before signing up for Invisalign, I would have chosen an orthodontist. I didn't though, and got lucky because I didn't have a particularly complicated case.

Edit: I paid $5500 for my treatment (Full Invisalign,) so no cheaper rate... and no work done prior to starting my Invisalign. Cleanings and exams happen twice a year anyway, so not sure this is a great selling tool to get people to buy into Invisalign. :)

Pre-Post.jpg
    It's great that you are happy with your results and you should be because there is a significant improvement in your smile even pre-crowns. However, I will say that many of the patients I see would still feel that there is more work to be done. I still think there are areas where alignment was improved because of the restorative work. That is also before seeing the teeth supporting your bridges.
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog