Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    zoso729 Guest

Underbite Surgery

I was considering getting surgery to correct my underbite. I was wondering if braces are ABSOLUTELY mandatory and if there are any risks...thanks

My brother had a moderate underbite until he was 25. He finally found an ortho that said he could fix it wihout surgery. Surgery should be your last and final try.

Braces with the user of applicance and rubber bands can be used to slide the jaws and such.

Get atelast 3 orthos opinion in your area and go from there... Surgery is much more expesive and not covered by insurance.

Good luck

ctoler1920 Guest
    I have to get the upper and lower jaw surgery to correct an open bite. My dentist said that I could get the braces but I would still have an overbite or I could get the surgery and then go into brace (the time frame would still be the same) and my teeth would be perfect! My insurance should cover it because it is medically necessary. I would still ask around before making a decision.

EddyMac71 Guest
    Sorry for the late reply, but figure it may help others who stumble across these posts.

Braces are mandatory - interview a couple orthognathic surgeons and ask them though.

Risks - there are always risks with anything, like driving to work every day. If you find a good surgeon that does orthognathic procedures frequently (mine does one or two of them every week), the actual risks are minimal these days, and you will be very happy that you went through it if you need it.

Stephanie's post - I disagree. If most of the orthodontists said your brother should go through orthognathic, he probably should do it ... just because he found one orthodontist that will take his money and fix it as best he can does not mean this will be the best outcome and that your brother will be happy with the results. For everyone else, try to do what is the right treatment the first time - if the right treatment is just braces, that's great - I would think your could overcome up to a few millimeters offset with orthodontics alone. Most people inquiring about orthognathic surgery are in a different category though. If your brother is unhappy with semi-alright braces results, then to reverse everything they are doing now will take the same amount of time ... another 2 years of braces at a later age plus the surgery. Hopefully he does not need to go through that though.

ctoler1920 - How many millimeters is your overbite? If they can flare your bottom teeth forward slightly and be within a few millimeters of where your jaws should be, then I would probably go with that. If it is more distinct than that, I am guessing you will be happier with the results of orthognathic.

Good luck all!

polorun1117 Guest

I had surgery 5 months ago

Hi All,

I had orhtognathic surgery 5 months ago and I can honestly say it was the best decision I have ever made. I had a great experience and I would be more than happy to answer anyone's questions. I had it when I was 19 years old, I took summer classes while being wired shut and I also worked at my summer job. I made it! It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had some hard times but the good things override those other moments. I had my upper and lower jaw adjusted due to a "severe" open bite. My surgeon was so amazing and he had done an incredible job. I would love to reccommend him to anyone if you are in New York.

Hope to hear from you soon
    Good luck!

-Roseanne :)

mike5824 Guest

I had Underbite surgery 6 weeks ago.

I wanted to correct my smile and every Orthodontist told me I need surgery. But I needed to wear braces to straighten my teeth so the surgeons could line up my jaws and wire them together during surgery.
    So I wore braces for 2 years. Had surgery on Upper & Lower Jaws 6 weeks ago. Will wear braces for 6 more months.

I'm very happy with the results.

obanyakis Guest

orthonagtic surgeons

I have class III underbite and supposed to have an orthonagtic surgery done...but i have a hard time deciding on the right surgeon. The oral surgeon i worked with all along is no longer cover under my network due to my insurance change from my employer, so i have consulted few other oral surgeons. There is this one surgeon that seems to be covered under my insurance but i am not so sure if I trust him enough. He is an out of network surgeon but he told me that he had negotiated with my insurance and had agreed to take whatever my insurance paid. Moreover, he is the only surgeon that had submitted merely lower jaw movement without graft, while all other surgeons submitted for both lower and upper jaw surgery with graft (whatever that means). I am very concern and not sure what to do. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
    Last edited by obanyakis; 01-17-2008 at 12:33 AM.

mike5824 Guest
    I just had my $35,000 Underbite surgery done for free. I was responsible for paying for the hospital stay after surgery and for my Braces but still haven’t gotten 1 bill yet.

I had the Upper jaw moved forward & the Lower jaw moved back to fix a bad underbite after I wore the braces for about 2 years to first align the teeth better.

I always had a bad smile especially if I smiled big so I asked Orthodontists and they all told me I NEED surgery to get braces.
    BRACES = $5,000+
    SURGERY = $35,000+
    So I prayed for about 4-5 years while thinking God would provide the $40,000. Then my wisdom teeth needed to be pulled and the Oral surgeon who did it asked me if I ever considered surgery for my Underbite and told me that his brother, also an Oral Surgeon, does those surgeries for free because it would be done in front of students so they can learn how its done and he has done lots of those surgeries and specializes in them. But I needed to talk to him and then get braces on until my teeth were straight. So I put braces on in 1 week from Drs. Selky & Reily in Grayslake, IL, USA.

When my teeth were straight I met with the surgeon and we set a surgery date and, as I am typing this, its been 4 months after surgery. I have no numbeness or any complications. I get my braces off in 2 weeks and then I’m all done.

ALL I CAN REALLY SAY IS THAT IT WAS REALLY WORTH THE INCONVENIENCE!

9. hey

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    My brother had a moderate underbite until he was 25. He finally found an ortho that said he could fix it wihout surgery. Surgery should be your last and final try.

Braces with the user of applicance and rubber bands can be used to slide the jaws and such.

Get atelast 3 orthos opinion in your area and go from there... Surgery is much more expesive and not covered by insurance.

Good luck
    Hey, I have a question, now i have an underbite and my dentist said i should get surgery to fix my underbite but i don't want to. now can you tell me where this orth of your bother is. My email is garytheman2@hotmail.com

Thank you

10. Hey, I have a question, now i have an underbite and my dentist said i should get surgery to fix my underbite but i don't want to. now can you tell me where this orth of your bother is. My email is email garytheman2@hotmail.com

Thank you

Blog Entries
    Hi theman2, Stephanie does still visit this forum, but I'm not sure she'll notice your post, due to this being a thread written back in January 2007.

My underbite was dental and therefore could be fixed with braces. If it's a result of the way your skeleton has developed when you were younger, it's a surgical issue, if you want stable results. My treatment probably woud have been a lot faster if I'd had surgery, but it wasn't an option for me.

My ortho has helped me achieve a class one on my left, and nearly a class one on my right ... still working on that side, with the use of the archwires and class three elastics. These elastics go from the top molar to the lower canine and help move the upper teeth forward in the arch and the lower teeth back in the arch. It's been a slow process, but it's happened and still happening ... which is exciting!

If you're lacking confidence in your ortho theman, consider consulting with another few and listen to what they consider would be best for your case.

Good luck! :thumb:
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

Just want to comment that whilst orthognathic surgery is not generally covered by dental insurance, and is not infrequently excluded from medical insurance, it is entirely inaccurate to say that it is not covered by insurance at all, because for many people it is in fact covered under their medical policy if deemed medically necessary.

I'd also like to add that it is also extremely important to explore the issue of the stability of the results that can be achieved in any particular scenario. Sometimes a purely orthodontic approach might lead to a good result, but one that is not stable. It all depends on the initial presenting case. I know folks who had to have braces a second time, and this time with orthognathic surgery as part of the treatment plan, because the initial treatment had led to a good looking result that had however over the years proved to be entirely unstable.
    Last edited by Zoso; 07-05-2009 at 12:02 AM.
    I am not a dental professional.

As it says on the main Bracesreview.com page, always consult a qualified orthodontist, dentist, or medical professional with questions you may have.

Just had lower jaw surgery a week and two days ago. I'm still wired shut and I thought I would have a hard time with this because I have asthma and was scared to death about having an asthma attack. But thank God, that I'm doing good. I had braces on for 5 years already and I plan to have them on for another year. the surgery was worth it and my insurance paid for the operation and the hospital stay as long as it was under 24 hours. Anything after that, I would have to pay for. I did have to pay for the oral surgeon but I got on a payment plan and started paying them before I had the surgery. It was going to be a total of 7,000. I payed 4,000 off already.

They were willing to work with me and my budget. I put extra money aside because this is what I really wanted. I've waited for this my whole life. I knew the only way I was ever going to get it down was to do it myself. I'm 35 years old and I can't tell you how happy I am that I stuck to my plan.

I know that i have a long road ahead of me yet but it's so worth it. The surgery was the biggest step for me.

Congratulations on your surgery - that is indeed a big big step in your journey to the bite, smile, and profile that you've been working towards. I'm glad you're doing well, especially given you're wired (which is less common these days - I wonder if you needed to have your lower jaw moved back and your surgeon chose IVRO?)

It sounds like you're doing well so far. A lot of people do get a bit blue at some point post-op, so if this should happen, try not to let it engulf you too much. It does seem to be a normal part of recovery, and I think not least because your body is having to clear out the nasty chemicals that need to be used for anesthesia.

Keep eating, keep drinking plenty of water, and make sure you get as much rest as your body tells you it needs. But do get up and about, since mild exercise should definitely help with your recovery - especially with the swelling and bruising.

Congratulations on making this a possibility for yourself, and on sticking to it :)

As it says on the main Bracesreview.com page, always consult a qualified orthodontist, dentist, or medical professional with questions you may have.

Blog Entries
    Love your attitude kcombs and it's great that you're recovering so well after your surgery! :toast:

All the best with your recovery continuing to go smoothly! :thumb:
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

16. I need a dentist that can fix my underbite without surgery

I'm looking for a good dentist in toronto that can fix my underbite without surgery. Can anyone tell me of one that can fix my underbite without surgery. please

Thank you

theman - it's not really a question of whether one doctor or another can do this - it's more a question of whether it is possible, given your particular jaw structure and your teeth, to reach a good and stable result without surgery. Really what it boils down to is whether the underbite is skeletal (caused by the jaws being mismatched in size) or dental (caused by teeth being "in the wrong place"). If it is skeletal, then really the only way to get a stable result, with good facial aesthetics is through surgery. Of course, I am oversimplifying, since it's quite possible there are a mixture of dental and skeletal effects in play. If your case is very much at the borderline, you might indeed find that some orthodontists suggest surgery, but others are willing to treat without. In this case, have multiple consultations with different orthodontists (they're very often free of charge in North America) and be sure to ask lots of questions not just about how your bite will look at the end, but also about how your face (especially the profile) will appear, and how stable the results would reasonably be expected to be. Also ask what appliances and methods they would plan to use to treat your case, because the answer there may or may not influence your decision - for example, would you wear headgear were it suggested? Would you be willing to have temporary implants (tiny screws) placed to help move the teeth? Would you be willing to have your teeth "shaved"/slenderised (called Interproximal reduction) or teeth extracted? Etc.

Edited to add: Since this is the surgery forum, you may get more responses (from others with similar cases) if you post under General Braces.
    Last edited by Zoso; 07-15-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: minor addition and major addition

18. thanks zoso

By the way, and please do not take this as an endorsement, because I have no experience of being treated by this doctor, but you may consider having a consultation with Dr. Tam, who posts here under the username MarkhamCentreOrthodontics. I suggest this because he seems to be experienced in a variety of techniques, and beyond that seems to be to be a very caring practitioner, at least based on his willingness to spend time offering advice through a medium such as this.

hi kcombs100
    im getting ready for ortho surgery and im 25 years old orthodontist assistant , however ive been in braces for an extra six months just waiting on an approval with my insurance. im currently with united health care and am making a switch to blue cross blue shield on sept 1. if you dont mind may i ask what insurance approved orthognathic surgery for you? i am having such a hard time with an insurance approval and im so ready to get this surgery done and over with.

Blog Entries
    Hi - I have helped a couple of friends over the years get there surgery covered and we found that CIGNA was the only one we were able to work with. The surgeon usually knows best, so I would ask your surgeon first.

Dont' forget to start your blog on this site and document you results.. it really does help people in the future and it is great to keep track

Braces Forums - Blogs
    In Retainers. Hawley On Top and Perm Retainer Lower.

Quote Originally Posted by mike5824 View Post
    I just had my $35,000 Underbite surgery done for free. I was responsible for paying for the hospital stay after surgery and for my Braces but still haven’t gotten 1 bill yet.

I had the Upper jaw moved forward & the Lower jaw moved back to fix a bad underbite after I wore the braces for about 2 years to first align the teeth better.

I always had a bad smile especially if I smiled big so I asked Orthodontists and they all told me I NEED surgery to get braces.
    BRACES = $5,000+
    SURGERY = $35,000+
    So I prayed for about 4-5 years while thinking God would provide the $40,000. Then my wisdom teeth needed to be pulled and the Oral surgeon who did it asked me if I ever considered surgery for my Underbite and told me that his brother, also an Oral Surgeon, does those surgeries for free because it would be done in front of students so they can learn how its done and he has done lots of those surgeries and specializes in them. But I needed to talk to him and then get braces on until my teeth were straight. So I put braces on in 1 week from Drs. Selky & Reily in Grayslake, IL, USA.

When my teeth were straight I met with the surgeon and we set a surgery date and, as I am typing this, its been 4 months after surgery. I have no numbeness or any complications. I get my braces off in 2 weeks and then I’m all done.

In other words, if I don't have money, i'm not getting my underbite fix?... There have to be a way, like mike5824 said. I'm willing to do anything to get my teeth fix. One of my passions is learning languages, but because of my underbite it's so hard to pronounce words correctly. Please If anybody knows of some help I can get, I would appreciate it. My mom doesn't have the money to pay for the treatment, and my father never cared, so i'm defetnely not a lucky one. I don't have a job, i'm currently in college, straigh A's student, can that help me in any way to get a grant for my underbite surgery?, I really need it, since my first language is Spanish, my second is English, my thrid is French. I will have to take speech class, and my accent, plus my underbite pair together, doesn't help with my improvment in the language

The severity of your underbite, due to the abnormal development of your jaw, will dictate the necessity of a combined orthognathic surgery + braces.

My sister had an underbite, but braces alone were able to bring the top teeth over the bottom teeth. Her lower jaw is slightly longer than her upper jaw; however, the orthodontist was able to create the normal bite by bringing the upper teeth over. Her jaw allowed some room for this kind of adjustment. No relapse.

On the other hand, I myself have a severe underbite with a posterior crossbite due to asymmetric growth of the mandible. There's no way braces alone can create a normal bite for me. I've already proceeded through with seeing a surgeon and have been approved by the insurance. I will be starting my orthodontia soon.

I'm from California and am insured by Kaiser. Kaiser has a high approval rate for this surgery. Additionally, the outcome from patients are quite positive. Kaiser does employ some of the most well known surgeons. There's no need to jump through the insurance hoops with Kaiser. You are seen by the surgeon, who assess your mouth, xrays and study models and decides right on the spot if you are approved. Kaiser will cover all costs, except for any co-pays you may have. This does not include braces (unless deformity is congenital ie: cleft palate)

Belle: don't give up. I put the surgery and braces on hold for 7 years since my first consult due to college, internship and work. Once I settled down, I was able to pursue this situation again. It's quite understandable to feel sad to not be able to speak the languages you describe to the best capacity, but don't get discouraged. Continue on with your education. It's important. It's quite cliche, but don't let anything bring you down. I hope in your future, you will get it resolved. Financially, I would wait until you have insurance that will support you. It will make your life much less stressful. I have a friend who decided to pay her $70,000 orthognathic/orthodontics out of pocket and it has taken her 10 years to finish. Best of luck.
    Last edited by boatsink; 01-28-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Fantastic that you've found an insurance company to cover your surgery and have a surgeon and ortho ready to start treatment! :party:

The question of needing surgery is whether the bite issues are the results of the bones growing incorrectly (skeletal) or due to the placement of the teeth in the existing arches (dental). If it's a bone issue, then surgery is necessary, as there's no way orthodontics can do anymore than mask these issues with relapse being a major concern.

With my class III, dental corrected the class III by my ortho using elastics. X-rays showed my bite was the result of my teeth, not due to my skeleton.

Good luck with your treatment! :thumb:

I had braces when i was 15 & the ortho slanted my teeth back to conceal my underbite but once I got older & more educated about an underbite I was really disapointed with the ortho & wish they would have educated me about my underbite & surgery.
    So now i am 30 & just had braces put back on & am going through the entire process. A friend of mine had the surgery & he looks like a different person. its unbelievable.

If you want 100% correction you must have the surgery. I just wish I knew that when i was 15. I must have both jaws fixed so its gonna be a process but I think it will be well worth it.

This is my 2nd day w/ braces & i am misreable & seriously regret putting it off for so long. What i have done in the past 3 yrs to conceal my underbite is I get juvederm injections regularly in my top lip. It totally makes me feel normal & pretty. It is also a quick fix while going through the process. Bad part is expensive but it made a huge difference in my life
    Last edited by nopollywood; 02-16-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Great that you're getting your surgical case corrected properly nopollywood! :)

At 15 it's highly unlikely you'd have been able to have surgery, so maybbe your ortho did the best that could be done with what he had to treat.

Good luck with your second round of treatment and make sure you keep well hydrated and use wax generously and hopefully this time will run smoothly! :thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by polorun1117 View Post
    Hi All,

I had orhtognathic surgery 5 months ago and I can honestly say it was the best decision I have ever made. I had a great experience and I would be more than happy to answer anyone's questions. I had it when I was 19 years old, I took summer classes while being wired shut and I also worked at my summer job. I made it! It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had some hard times but the good things override those other moments. I had my upper and lower jaw adjusted due to a "severe" open bite. My surgeon was so amazing and he had done an incredible job. I would love to reccommend him to anyone if you are in New York.

Hope to hear from you soon
    Good luck!

-Roseanne :)
    Hi Roseanne
    I'm actually living in NYC and I'm looking for a good surgeon who could take care of my under-bite condition. I would greatly appreciate if you could give me contact info for the surgeon that you have used. Also, for those of you who know any other surgeons in NYC area worth to recommend please don"t hesitate to do so. I'm counting on you all. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    In other words, if I don't have money, i'm not getting my underbite fix?... There have to be a way, like mike5824 said. I'm willing to do anything to get my teeth fix. One of my passions is learning languages, but because of my underbite it's so hard to pronounce words correctly. Please If anybody knows of some help I can get, I would appreciate it. My mom doesn't have the money to pay for the treatment, and my father never cared, so i'm defetnely not a lucky one. I don't have a job, i'm currently in college, straigh A's student, can that help me in any way to get a grant for my underbite surgery?, I really need it, since my first language is Spanish, my second is English, my thrid is French. I will have to take speech class, and my accent, plus my underbite pair together, doesn't help with my improvment in the language
    Belle: if you're under 23 and going to school, you may still be covered under your parents' medical insurance plans if they have them. If so, check to see if their medical insurance will cover your surgery. If your underbite is causing a speech impairment like you say, then most insurance plans will cover the surgery if your underbite is severe enough. Start off at your primary care physician and let them know what's going on. My own doctor wasn't sure where to start, but she got me my referral to the oral surgeon and I have my consultation appointment in less than 4 weeks, so don't give up hope! :)
    Last edited by smylex; 02-20-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added info

Hello theman2, I'm currently seeing Dr Jeremy Kellerstein in Toronto to treat my underbite or edge to edge bite. I've gone to Dr Jason Tam for a consult (before I even joined those forum) He refused to work with me if I didn't agree to surgery. Dr Kellerstein explained my treatment plan during our consult and surgery wasn't even mentioned! When I did ask him if I would require surgery, he told me he could fix with elastics and braces alone. Surgery would just be "overkill"....He's very informative and helpful. Also, Dr Tam quoted me $1000 and 6 months more than Dr Kellerstein did so bottom line, get at least a couple consults and go with who you feel is best for you and will do the best job for you. Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    honestly I wish I would of done surgery, however it was too $$. Stable results are the main issue here.. Sometimes the results just are not stable with braces/elastics and when you get your braces off, the retainers can only do so much to keep your teeth stable.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
    honestly I wish I would of done surgery, however it was too $$. Stable results are the main issue here.. Sometimes the results just are not stable with braces/elastics and when you get your braces off, the retainers can only do so much to keep your teeth stable.
    Surgery is covered under our Health care system in Canada...hopefully he wont need it. :)

32. hi, I was wondering how you managed the surgery when you are working? I just finished university so if I do indeed do the surgery (which I have been iffy about for past few years), it would be when I am working. I know that recovery from swelling in post-op could last around 6 to 7 weeks.

Thanks.

33. Quote Originally Posted by kcombs100 View Post
    Just had lower jaw surgery a week and two days ago. I'm still wired shut and I thought I would have a hard time with this because I have asthma and was scared to death about having an asthma attack. But thank God, that I'm doing good. I had braces on for 5 years already and I plan to have them on for another year. the surgery was worth it and my insurance paid for the operation and the hospital stay as long as it was under 24 hours. Anything after that, I would have to pay for. I did have to pay for the oral surgeon but I got on a payment plan and started paying them before I had the surgery. It was going to be a total of 7,000. I payed 4,000 off already.

They were willing to work with me and my budget. I put extra money aside because this is what I really wanted. I've waited for this my whole life. I knew the only way I was ever going to get it down was to do it myself. I'm 35 years old and I can't tell you how happy I am that I stuck to my plan.

I know that i have a long road ahead of me yet but it's so worth it. The surgery was the biggest step for me.

hi, I was wondering how you managed the surgery when you are working full time? I just finished university so if I do indeed do the surgery (which I have been iffy about for past few years), it would be when I am working. I know that recovery from swelling in post-op could last around 6 to 7 weeks. I think a lot of people who made up their mind during school did it then, which I think is easier to manage with summer vacation. In my case if I've made up my mind the surgery is still be at least a year a way 'cause I still need braces to straigthen teeth first. I didn't get to put on braces when I was younger because my parents are against the idea of surgery and the ortho said he'll do the braces only if i do the surgery.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I have known some surgeons in which the swelling is very minimal with their patients... not sure if they have the magic touch or what and it possibly also depends on the amount of movement needed...

But you can expect to be swollen the first couple weeks for sure.. after that I would be OK with returning to work.

Blog Entries
    Hi chebgtc ... after a major operation it's important for you to rest. This means having time away from work. Usually the time off work is between 4-8 weeks, but it might be longer if you have complications.

When you're working and thinking about scheduling this surgery, it will be important that you let your employer know and check about taking this amount of time off work. Remember it's not just because you'll be swollen, it's also because you'll be feeling achy, tired and for many people due to their food intake not being so great, they don't have the energy to work for a few weeks. Plus your body needs rest to heal and to recovery from the knock out drugs.

If your job requires you to talk, this is also compromised after surgery due to your mouth being held tightly with elastic bands.

Your surgeon can give you information with regard to how long you'll need to be off work etc.

Good luck!

36. In slight cases of underbite, braces alone can correct it. I am only speaking from my own experience though. Growing up with a not so perfect smile was hard. I hope all here who needs surgery to correct your bite will one day have that dream come true. And if you have just a slight case of underbite, don't give up if surgery is too expensive for you; try getting braces first to see if that can help correct your bite.

Blog Entries
    Ashleigh the treatment to correct a class II or class III bite is not about severity but about what is causing the bite problem. If it's due to a bone problem, then the person will require surgury. If it's about the way the teeth are placed in the jaw bone, then it's a dental problem and can be fixed using braces.

Surgeon in NY

Hi Roseanne,

I live in NYC. Who is the surgeon that you saw? Have you experienced any complications or pain since having the surgery?

Thanks

39. To Kcombs100

I have to have lower jaw surgery too. I'm looking for a surgeon where I can make payments. Can you please give the information of your surgeon?

Thank you.

40. Underbite Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by mike5824 View Post
    I just had my $35,000 Underbite surgery done for free. I was responsible for paying for the hospital stay after surgery and for my Braces but still havenít gotten 1 bill yet.

BRACES = $5,000+
    SURGERY = $35,000+

When my teeth were straight I met with the surgeon and we set a surgery date and, as I am typing this, its been 4 months after surgery. I have no numbeness or any complications. I get my braces off in 2 weeks and then Iím all done.

Hey, Mike! So, who is this oral surgeon that performs underbite surgery for free? Can I get get his name, address, and phone number? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    lukekim this post was back in 2008 and was from a guest, not a member, so it's unlikely you'll get a response. Sorry.

I definitely will be getting the surgery done when my ortho gives me the green light. Have to have braces on for between 12-18 months beforehand (had them on for one, so far) however so that my teeth don't just mash together post surgery. Which is kinda annoying because my teeth are actually relatively straight...wouldn't have needed them If I had a normal bite.

My underbite is a skeletal problem. When I bite, the gap between my front upper and lower teeth is about 18mm. So quite large...and it affects my speech - and pretty much every aspect of my life as you can imagine.

One question that you Sunny, or someone can probably answer - Why do I need to have the braces on for 6-9 months post surgery? I gathered it was for stability..but I'm not really sure.

Anyway, I look forward with excitement to the day I step out of the surgeon's room with a normal bite and no lisp!!

hey, my name is ANDREA, im 25 and live in brooklyn, nyc i have a CLASS 3 under bite, with a pseudo cross bite! i will have to get surgery!
    i started treatment when i was around 14, but never completed it! i've had braces on 4 TIMES! now that i dont have n e insurance i will be paying OUT OF POCKET FOR IT ALL!

I currently have on the INNOVATION C (clear) braces but heard about damon system being SUPREME! so i went to a ortho who only does them! he wanted to charge me $10,500 n a %50 down $530 a month, payment plan (some plan that is!) he was a GREAT sales man! i felt very comfortable he explained everything!! but im paying $5,800 for the braces i have now! with $1200 down! and $99 a month!

i dont really like the DR i have now! i have been 2 about 6 appts! and i've only met him ONCE!!!!! the assistance do all the work!, im not even sure who put on my brackets! HONEST! i dont know the treatment plan or ANYTHING! they deal with mostly CHILDREN, so i understand how having serious conversation with patients is something that isnt warranted. i have considered changing DR but the cost is GREAT!

i am ALSO looking for a ORAL SURGEON! in the TRI STATE area! I WILL ALSO be paying OUT OF POCKET! im not sure WHAT TO DO! but i would like some advice! thank u!

if n e 1 has n e referrals or n e info! please EMAIL ME! ASAP! @ candydt@me.com thanks

I've had braces for 2 years and head gear & a jaw expander and now that that's all done my teeth hit eachother and the right side is an underbite. I was wondering if I did decide to do surgery, would I not need braces again since my teeth are straight ? And how much average for Canada jaw surgery?

45. hi I'm kath and I'm 55..and an aussie.

I've had a horrible under bite for most of my life.. my teeth were misalined as well..
    the rude comments from people over the years finally got to me.. I've had people call me shark tooth and mrs.fang..

About 15 years ago I went to an ortho and he wanted to remove teeth, brake my jaw and reset it..
    I wasnt too happy with his opinion and sought another one.. the second ortho wanted to remove teeth and luckily I didnt let him do that either..I figured orthodontics will improve and decided to wait..
    I found an orthodontist Mark Scheiner from Braces and Faces, he looked at my teeth and said it wasnt anything major and that it can be straighted in 18 months..he is a fabulous orthodontist.
    He put on the Damons about10 months ago and I havent had any problems with them at all, the top braces are clear and the bottoms are standard metal..

It took a little while to get used to them but only because I wasnt used to wearing them but it settles down and I havent had any problems since.. I paid $6000 dollars and that also includes all spirals,floss threaders,wax etc..(the floss threaders are a god send)..even though I have 8 months to go my jaw line has improved, lol and my nose looks in proportion..

and you know what?..
    the best part of all is going to be the "after" photo..

Hey I'm new to this site but I feel like I can get some answers from here regarding my underbite surgery. I just turned 18 but I was told that I would need braces and surgery when I was 17..I have braces now and my orthodontist just told me I'm ready for surgery this summer. I'm still debating on whether I should do it or not. I'm scared to go under the knife, especially since this is my first but from what I've been reading here its not so bad. Anyone care to tell me if it was painful or scary?? O_O I really want to get the surgery but I'm scared I'll be in so much pain, idk why this is just my fear lol. I think Grey's Anatomy has scared me from all their gruesome surgeries they do...what should I do???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andreaLA1 View Post
    Hey I'm new to this site but I feel like I can get some answers from here regarding my underbite surgery. I just turned 18 but I was told that I would need braces and surgery when I was 17..I have braces now and my orthodontist just told me I'm ready for surgery this summer. I'm still debating on whether I should do it or not. I'm scared to go under the knife, especially since this is my first but from what I've been reading here its not so bad. Anyone care to tell me if it was painful or scary?? O_O I really want to get the surgery but I'm scared I'll be in so much pain, idk why this is just my fear lol. I think Grey's Anatomy has scared me from all their gruesome surgeries they do...what should I do???

i just got underbite surgery on 4/4 and am now home recovering. pain isnt bad as long as you dont think about it. you would be on a liquid or blender diet which is the stage i am in right now. stayed overnight at the hospital and was sent home the next day as i had no problems. my jaw is not wired shut, just have 2 elastic holding jaws together and the plates in the bones. I having to relearn how to swallow liquids and remember that my jaws no line up as for 22 yrs i had a 8mm. to be honest as much swelling as i have i am happy with the results as i also had tmj (lock jaw) which i no longer have

48. Quote Originally Posted by mzkimx3 View Post
    i just got underbite surgery on 4/4 and am now home recovering. pain isnt bad as long as you dont think about it. you would be on a liquid or blender diet which is the stage i am in right now. stayed overnight at the hospital and was sent home the next day as i had no problems. my jaw is not wired shut, just have 2 elastic holding jaws together and the plates in the bones. I having to relearn how to swallow liquids and remember that my jaws no line up as for 22 yrs i had a 8mm. to be honest as much swelling as i have i am happy with the results as i also had tmj (lock jaw) which i no longer have

Hi, I tried sending you a PM last night but I'm not sure if it went through because I don't see it in my "sent items" folder. Figured I'd post here. I have an underbite and am experiencing some TMJ issues. So far I have only seen my dentist once and he gave me a mouth guard which has helped a bit with the pain but I'm still getting disturbing sounds in my jaw when chewing. So, reading about it, it sounds like the only recourse for me might be this surgery.

I am also in Boston and was wondering if you could share with me the orthodontist and/or surgeon that you used and any opinions you have of them. Feel free to respond here or PM me, whichever works for you.

Good luck with your recovery!

Blog Entries
    this is the website of the dr.s i saw (ortho) both are great and work hand in hand as they are husband and wife i believe or related. i go to spencer however they have other locations

http://www.tightbite.com/

Blog Entries
    When I was 16 I had a consultation with an ortho who said jaw surgery was my only option to correct my underbite, and I refused. So when I finally got braces at 22, my ortho said he could fix the problem purely with elastics, then TADs, then surgery as a LAST resort. So far I've been just using elastics and there has been a huge improvement. I'm so glad that I waited until my face had developed more, I think 17/18 is pretty young to assume your face has matured enough. Anyway that's just my opinion, I would suggest seeking out other treatment if you're too uncomfortable with jaw surgery as I was.
    BRACES OFF AS OF OCT. 17/ 12!!!! 1 yr, 7 months later.
    Damon Q top and bottom
    My blog!