Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    If you look closely the number of your tray is printed on it. If you only have 10 trays you might be an express case and maybe not get refinments, if you do it could be another set of trays to tweek how the teeth look to make them more perfect. I'm not having any tho so i'm not sure what you've agreed with your ortho.

Refinements, if needed, are indeed additional trays; typically not as long as the initial set however.

I'm currently in refinements having completed 38 upper and lower trays. I have 6 for the bottom and 14 for the top.
    -Brenda

3. I just briefly talked to my dentist about it just then when I picked up my 9th trays. I am doing the express case i'm pretty sure because I remember seeing what it would look like using the express and I was happy with it. It was also a lot cheaper. She also said I would be on a retainer maybe for a year after i'm done which is still at least 5-6 weeks away. But I only have to wear it at night (phew!)

But what is a retainer? lol I would of asked but she was closing and still had to help another patient.

Blog Entries
    Blitz often the retainers are like your aligners, but made of a slightly stronger material.

About the wearing of retainers ... it's for life! Teeth will continue to move for as long as you're alive and unless you want the work done by your invisalign to become updone, you'll need to prevent this by wearing retainers for life. Usually there's a period of full time wear, followed by a period of nights only and then you can change to two or three nights a week for life.

Many people are having treatment for the second or third time due to not wearing their retainers ... so it's not something you want to happen ... for cost and inconvenience!
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

5. Oh you best be kidding lol. I should of reserched this a bit more before getting into it. I regret it now and wish I got normal braces. And I do hope retainers are stronger than the normal aligners because I have snapped my bottom tray at a button twice now. And I also hope she didn't mean to say retainer haha

Blog Entries
    Blitz many people do loose/break their retainers, and when this happens, it's essential to get back to your ortho asap and get new ones made. None of us want to have to pay for treatment again due to our own fault ... being slack with our retainer wear.

Talk to your ortho about what type of retainers you'll be getting and how strong they are.

Good luck! :thumb:
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Oh you best be kidding lol. I should of reserched this a bit more before getting into it. I regret it now and wish I got normal braces. And I do hope retainers are stronger than the normal aligners because I have snapped my bottom tray at a button twice now. And I also hope she didn't mean to say retainer haha
    You'd have retainers no matter what type of braces you have.

If you're concerned about using retainers similar to the invisalign trays, you can always talk to your orthodontist about other retainer options.
    -Brenda

8. I have retainers and they are made of a much heavier plastic. They are also much easier to keep clean as well.

I will have to my aligners for 2 years for my top 52 sets and a year for my lowers 25 sets. Only on my first set now, and my teeth ache.

Blog Entries
    What will you be using to retainer your teeth after that time?

Remember teeth need retaining for life ... or they will move!

Today is day 5. I didn't know enough at the time to ask how many trays I'll be needing but my ortho said 10 months for initial phase then 6 months with some type of wire? But he extended my first tray from 2 weeks to 3 -4 as it was super tight. So it could be longer if that is a regular occurence.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Weeeyin View Post
    If you look closely the number of your tray is printed on it. If you only have 10 trays you might be an express case and maybe not get refinments, if you do it could be another set of trays to tweek how the teeth look to make them more perfect. I'm not having any tho so i'm not sure what you've agreed with your ortho.
    Hi Weeeyin -

May I ask what your initial diagnosis was? As in - what all needed to be corrected? I ask because looking at your photos - you look as though you have an open bite, which is what I have -amongst other things.

Thanks!
    Mel

Blog Entries
    I start mine on monday but my teeth are a bit of a mess to start with, been told about 2 years. Can't remember how many trays I've got though. x

I have to endure 64 trays - and have now reached 24. I have a long, long road ahead of me. I am so envious of anyone with less than 30. You lucky devils. I haven't really got used to them and I am only wearing one for my bottom teeth so far. The top teeth phase in at tray no. 29. Only have myself to blame.

U/19
    L/64

I only have 7 Upper and 5 Lower.

Started on Dec. 8th and now on Tray 2.

Figure 4 months or so.
    Last edited by JSL; 12-25-2009 at 05:01 PM.

16. i recommend to wear each tray 17 days (3 days more)... i started doing that with my 2nd refiement and it made a big difference... So i would add 20% on the overal time.

12 uppers,8 lowers

U 12
    L 8

U 10
    L 9

I started with 17U and 34L. Then did 9U refinements. Now waiting for refinements number 2....
    Visit my Invisalign Braces Blog MY Hollywood Smile

I have 16U/12L and I currently just got my 4th set today. My ortho, who is an Elite provider, said that I was a somewhat advanced case, but she was able to get it down to only 8 months! I am wondering if I will need refinements because it seems that a lot do. :)

My advice is to prepare yourself emotionally to have refinements, and then if you need them, you'll be fine with it. If not, we'll all celebrate with you! :toast:

That is a good idea! I was not told that refinements might be needed at my consultation or even during the fitting, I learned it all from here! I did ask the dental assistant about them and she said that some do need them of course. I also asked her if that was included in the cost, and she said it would be a little bit more, but not as much as the invisalign. That has me a little worried because I am already spending a lot more than the others around because she is an Elite provider. Is it up to the ortho if the refinements are included in the price or is it something that invisalign has set in their plan?

Markham, Toronto, Richmond Hill, Stouffville
    Refinement should be regarded as a part of Invisalign treatment. It is not a failure of treatment, but a rather a detailing stage if required. Therefore, I'm sure that almost everyone who has posted in this thread has underestimated how long they will wear their aligners, since they've only taken into account the first set of trays :).

Align has a set fee to the orthodontist for their products, but ultimately it is up to the individual doctor to set their patient fees and what is included.
    Dr Jason K Tam
    Markham Orthodontist, Stouffville Orthodontist, Oshawa

Top 1% Super Elite Invisalign, Teen Provider, Invisalign Speaker's Bureau
    2012 Las Vegas Invisalign Case Finalist
    2014 Invisalign Case Publication

Invisalign in Toronto Blog
    **NEW** Before and After Invisalign 2.0 Video
    Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

MCO Orthodontics Facebook

It's a long road isn't it. I've got to go thru 32 upper and 17 lower - so that's about a year and a quarter for my top set. On tray # 2 so long way to go!! My dentist hasn't mentioned about refinements - so hoping there aren't going to be any nasty surprises...

Straight Teeth Journey - Invisalign blog

24. I have 50 top and bottom Aligners!!!...I was told 18 months with changing each week. Im on #5 right now dont notice any difference.

10 trays for upper and bottom:D
    So about 5 months..HOPEFULLY!

about to change to my 2nd tray tomorrow

Long journey...52 uppers, 19 lowers. May 2012. On day 2.

Welcome, ChicagoVols!

Congrats on getting started. After the first few weeks, time will fly more quickly. It seems like a daunting treatment period right now probably, but you'll see progress and that will keep you focused on the terrific smile you'll have down the road. It is really worth it!

There are a few of us from Chicago on this forum. Hope you stayed dry today! The weather was a mess, wasn't it?

Thanks Phantom

Yes - there were some downed trees in our 'hood that damaged cars and some people! Our office wouldn't let us leave the premises.

Crazy! Never expected that here!

I have 13 Upper and 8 Lowers(I was told I would get 14 U, but on my first tray it said 1 of 13...) That will be about 6 months or so :)
    I hope I can get refinments if that is needed even if I only have 13 trays.

invisalign treatment time

my ortho told me a little bit of a year, I have 31 upper trays and 27 lower trays. im currently on tray number 7. im blogging my entire experience here invisalign experience 2010

Hello, new here and this is my first post. Decided to get Invisalign back in april and been reading these forums as a guest for a while now. 15 upper trays / 20 bottom. I am about to be on tray 7 and I only see results on the bottom. I guess it is all happening in the back on the upper, but I rather see the front. Can't wait till i get closer on it.

Welcome, Nuzents!

Most of my initial movement was made where it couldn't be seen; however, the final few trays have really pushed my teeth into place - especially on top! I am finished with my initial series on Friday (an expect a few refinement trays, but not many). I suspect you'll see a lot of movement in after another few trays. Hang in there, and keep us posted!

Where in Chicago are you located?! Hope you missed the worst of the brutal weather the other day. :)

33. I am currently on #20 of 28 upper and lower. That takes me to the end of October.

Surprisingly, I don't see a lot of movement. I know my teeth are moving because each new tray fits the way it should. I still have to get IPR done before each tray after #22 so hopefully that's when the most movement will take place. It seems strange to have it done that late in the process as there isn't a lot of time left in the process.

46 trays top, 63 trays bottom = $7100 in NYC

35. 12 uppers and 27 lowers.. :)
    Starting refinements in 2 weeks. :party:

36. Hi, another newbie here from the Uk. Started last week 12 upper, 24 lower, not sure about refinements will definately ask as people seem to have some amazing results.

37. Quote Originally Posted by racheybabe_2000 View Post
    Hi, another newbie here from the Uk. Started last week 12 upper, 24 lower, not sure about refinements will definately ask as people seem to have some amazing results.
    Looks like you and I are pretty much the same in length. What's wrong with your teeth? I have an overbite, mild crowding on top, and severe crowding on the bottom.

Though I must say, I'm already noticing a difference! :thumb:
    Starting refinements in 2 weeks. :party:

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Muse View Post
    Welcome, Nuzents!

Most of my initial movement was made where it couldn't be seen; however, the final few trays have really pushed my teeth into place - especially on top! I am finished with my initial series on Friday (an expect a few refinement trays, but not many). I suspect you'll see a lot of movement in after another few trays. Hang in there, and keep us posted!

Where in Chicago are you located?! Hope you missed the worst of the brutal weather the other day. :)
    I live on the out skirts of chicago. Forgot when this was posted, maybe you are talking about the strong winds that one night, can't remember honestly.

I just can't wait till the changes are up front, i hear a lot of ppl say the last 4-5 trays and I will be on that in August/Sept so that will be an exciting period for me.

Sounds like you are entering the home stretch of this part of treatment! I found it to be pretty spectacular when I was able to see visible changes. The changes came on rather quickly and my teeth moved to the right places very rapidly after that. I suspect that during those weeks of seeing very little change, my back teeth and the rest were scooting around to make room for everything to fit properly. It does happen!

24 uppers and 24 lowers! I am glad they are the same length and that they are only 24 as I was told I'd get about 40 for each!

41. Quote Originally Posted by Janesays View Post
    20 months for me.. and 15 for my hubby.
    How come with 22 trays it took 20 months?? I have the same number of trays and have been told 15 months.. although it doesn't make sense as if you count 1 per 2 weeks.. Did you wear refinements after the trays?

Thanks!! I'm a bit confused!!

Markham, Toronto, Richmond Hill, Stouffville
    Whenever I see a new post in this thread, I have always wanted to mention that treatment does not always end up lasting "the number of aligners" X 2 weeks. However, everyone here is so excited about their treatment times, that I've never wanted to put a damper on that :). For those of you who are beginning treatment, it is better to ask for a treatment time estimate, rather than basing your own estimate on the number of trays in your first round of aligners.

It would be really cool to hear from those who are now finished with treatment and posted before in this thread previously to see what the changes to the total number of aligners was if they had mid-course correction and/or refinement(s)!
    Dr Jason K Tam
    Markham Orthodontist, Stouffville Orthodontist, Oshawa

Top 1% Super Elite Invisalign, Teen Provider, Invisalign Speaker's Bureau
    2012 Las Vegas Invisalign Case Finalist
    2014 Invisalign Case Publication

Invisalign in Toronto Blog
    **NEW** Before and After Invisalign 2.0 Video
    Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

MCO Orthodontics Facebook

43. Basically I have been told 15 months for Upper and 9 months for Lower - and have 24 sets for Upper and 11 for lower..
    Currently on my 11th tray for both and going to see dentist in two weeks time.. Guess I'll find out if I need refinements then, although this is the first time I hear of them.. I just want to finish! hehehe

PD: In my case I used to wear metal braces 10 years ago for 1 and 1/2 years and my retainers were eaten by a dog (if you haven't noticed dogs LOVE aligners/retainers) and as I was 17 never thought about going to the dentist (silly me!) so just let it go.. And now the problem was my front teeth were crooked again and my lower a bit as well..
    So boys and girls, teenagers of everywhere, wear your retainers and if you loose them, Go and ask for a new one!! It's totally worth it and you will not have to pay money later in your life!:)

U - 22/22
    L - 11/11

Now in the 3rd set of refinements

U - 03/07
    L - 08/08 finished on 1st set of refinements

Quote Originally Posted by JSL View Post
    I only have 7 Upper and 5 Lower.

Started on Dec. 8th and now on Tray 2.

Figure 4 months or so.
    JSL are you doing Express? What did you pay, if you don't mind my asking?

45. I was told id be wearing mine for 11 months....fingers crossed that it will really be that short! I am 6 weeks in so still have a long way to go :)

Two years.
    I've got bad teeth.
    :D

I was told my treatment is between 8 to 12 months, but seems like i will have 16 upper and 13 lower, which means about 8 months?

U - 10 of 16
    L - 10 of 13

my dentist told me that it would be 7-9 month. 14 up and 14 lower...
    but he was talking allready about refinments...

my treatment time has changed from one ortho telling me 6-8 months to now my current ortho telling me 12-15. im not unhappy about it at all though because at the end of the day i know if i had gone with the last ortho i wouldnt have gotten a good result. she seemed far too inexperienced

50. I'll be with Invisalign for about seven months.
    15 upper and lower.