Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How long will your wear your invisalign?

My ortho told me 9-12 months. I have 12 lower aligners and 11 upper aligners. I'm really hoping 9 months. I know it will take some time to get use to them, but I am so aware of the in my mouth and it drives me crazy! I'm only on day 3, so I'm sure it will get better.

Anyway, just curious as to how long everyone is wearing their braces

20 months for me.. and 15 for my hubby.
    Finished Invisalign After 22 Trays
    Love The Results! :party:

38 top and 38 bottom, for at least 2 weeks each = 76 weeks = about 1 1/2 years. Minimum
    -Brenda

AlleyCat Guest
    I have had mine since January, so Ive got about 8 more months to go and then I will get a retainer. After a month or so of wearing them, you will get use to them, like another poster said, its when its time to change them they will bother you most after you get use to them, you want to rip them out of your mouth and put the new ones in. good luck:D

The new aligners do feel better. I guess the old ones get too loose. Even though the first couple of days might hurt, having them snug feels better. I'll have to ask my ortho about the time. If I wear each for 2 weeks, that's only about 6 months. I guess its possible to have to wear them longer than 2 weeks, though.

AlleyCat~ Do you know what kind of retainer you're getting? I think my ortho wants to put a bar behind my teeth. I'm not sure how I feel about that!

AlleyCat Guest

Red face

So far as I know, Im getting another aligner as a retainer, but that might change with my treatment, depending on how that goes and if my teeth move or not, or if I have any problems with the aligner...I'll let you know what happens, when it happens.

7. 5 months... not bad eh? but it still cost me tons of money.. should have got the express price. I spent 6,500.00 bummer

Snowy Guest
    Mine were scheduled for 10 months originally, and I'm definitely looking at refinement. I'd say maybe a year, 13 months all told?

The funny thing is that at the beginning, I figured "Hell! If it's not perfect after 10 months, I'll live with it." Now I'm used to the aligners, I'd rather deal with several months of refinement and get everything perfect. In for a penny, and all that... ;)

9. The plan is 12 months.

Seems like most people get refinements afterwards though!

Blog Entries

refinment

sorry, but i'm new to all this and not even having my impressions done yet i'm still full of questions. I will only get to see / speak to my ortho once a month. What actually is refinement and what does that involve? sorry to be such a novice.

I was given 10 sets each of aligners. I wont see my dentist again until 1st week of June. Dont know what will happen after that.

Well, my first phase is about 18 months, but there will be more phases...

Refinements are where they take new impressions and get additional aligners to correct any problems after the first run weeyin.
    Visit my Invisalign Braces Blog MY Hollywood Smile

Blog Entries
    I will be finished around June 2010 for the straightening (so thats around 18 months) but I believe that you wear a retainer style aligner for around a year after that? And then depending on your teeth it could be for the rest of my life at night time. I really dont care, as long as I have straight teeth!!

My ortho says 18 months, but my bottoms will be done in July and the tops in November. I'm assuming he calculated time in the estimate for possible refinements.

15. about 9-10 months plus refinements.

About 18 months for my uppers and about 8 months for my lowers. I am on 10/38 and 10/22 at the moment.

I would love to see some pics of those who have had around about the same number of aligners as me.

:wave:
    New here and new to invisialigns... On tray 2 of 18 uppers/15 lowers. So, I "should" be finish around Octoberish!?!?

Blog Entries
    I've got 23 weeks left all going well, I'm on trays 6 of 29 top and 13 bottom and wearing one set a week. Train track refinements at the end of this and more than likely completely finished by Christmas.

19. I have 26U and 20L so a year for me plus any refinements. Just about to change to tray 2.
    Simon
    26U / 20L
    Started Invisalign : 10 Feb 2009

I just began treatment today and have 9 uppers and 12 lowers. My ortho said he expected it to take about 8-9 months, but it I do the math, with 12 trays it should take about 6 months (early August) as I have to change them every 2 weeks. So I'm a little unsure of the actual treatment time now, so I will have to ask my ortho during my first checkup on April 1.

I guess I will also have to check in to refinement. My ortho didn't mention that refinement was even an option, nor has he mentioned retainers, cleaning nor did he give me a case for my darn trays to put them in when I'm eating! So far I am unimpressed with him, but I won't let it cloud my view of the Invisaligns themselves.
    Last edited by Michi; 02-26-2009 at 01:27 AM.

21. 18 upppers and 14 lowers. I'm about 1/2 way, 36 weeks total I'm told.

17 uppers and 14 lowers, my dentist estimates about 10 months

Just about to start my third tray....10 months feels like a million miles away!!

I have 26 retainers top & bottom. so thats 52wks in total ! Originally thought i was going to be 7&1/2 months but when invisalign got back to my otho it had increased. And then I think 6 months retainer afterwards ! Starting treatment in 7 days !!

Oooohhh Good luck lindak. It seems there are a few of us that will be finishing around the same time which is early next year. How exciting.

I just started Invisalign a few days ago and will have 11 on top and 18 on bottom. When I got my impressions my dentist said treatment would be 'about a year' but now I'm not sure if that includes wearing the same retainer for a long time at the end? I would have thought I would have a lot more trays than that.

A year is probably a decent estimate. The lowers, with 18 trays, will take 36 weeks, then if you needed any refinements you'd need to wait some weeks from taking impressions, then two weeks per tray for each tray in the refinement set.
    I am not a dental professional.

As it says on the main Bracesreview.com page, always consult a qualified orthodontist, dentist, or medical professional with questions you may have.

Blog Entries
    Great that your treatment is not going to take very long FootballGirl. :)

Often if the main work is the alignment of the teeth, there are less aligners and therefore the treatment takes less time. You'll still need to wear your retainers for life ... maybe full time for up to a year, then nightly for a while and then a few nights a week ... but after going through ortho treatment, no one wants there teeth to drift back to where they were before.

Good luck! :thumb:
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

Talking

About 18 months for my uppers and about 8 months for my lowers. I am on 10/38 and 10/22 at the moment.

I would love to see some pics of those who have had around about the same number of aligners as me.[/QUOTE]

I'm on 17/36 and 0/11. Almost half way through. I can see a Big improvement.

29. I got mine and orthodontist said they do a case review after 13 aligners. She said I might be done with top. I don't know how every one else got retainers out till 20-30 sets after one impression.

My doctor might be following a different procedure. I stopped asking too much after 3-4 appointments with non-sense responses. I like the product but doctor seems like a glorified technician with the modelling taking place off site.

Is it possible to find out from Invisalign directly how many sets of retainers are expected?

Quote Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
    but doctor seems like a glorified technician with the modelling taking place off site.
    That is (or at least should be!) a major misconception. Though the sequence of trays is set up by a technician at Align Technologies, this is - or should be - done with reference to an initial plan that is specified by the prescribing doctor. This plan could be expected to specify detailed tooth movements, and might also make specific instructions regarding placement of any necessary attachments; the plan might also have been drawn up by the doctor to include the use of extras such as elastics later on. This is why it is important to find an Invisalign provider who really knows their stuff. My personal opinion is that it is always preferable to choose an orthodontist over a dentist, as they have extensive training in occlusion and tooth movement; but with Invisalign, a lot of experience with this modality - this way of moving teeth - is also very important. So the very best choice is an orthodontist who has extensive experience with Invisalign.

If literally all the doctor does is send in the necessary records, and he does no work on mapping out the treatment to send in along with that, then I'd say there could be a problem.

As it says on the main Bracesreview.com page, always consult a qualified orthodontist, dentist, or medical professional with questions you may have.

31. I see one of the problems is they deal with children primarily, where questions and concerns can be largely ignored. Without this being done the orthodontist will continue to be perceived the same way. Taking ten minutes up front to explain mechanics of process would be valuable but impossible with current provider.

Quote Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
    I see one of the problems is they deal with children primarily, where questions and concerns can be largely ignored. Without this being done the orthodontist will continue to be perceived the same way. Taking ten minutes up front to explain mechanics of process would be valuable but impossible with current provider.
    I disagree with that statement. Besides the fact that Invisalign is primarily used on adults, and not children (although Invisalign Teen is changing this), orthodontists also deal with the parents of those children (most of whom are teens who do actually know if they are being ignored).

Perhaps your ortho is different, but mine has been very upfront and honest with any questions I've had about the whole process. I've been very pleased.

I also found the orthodontist I used with my son to be very upfront and honest as well, and anytime my son had concerns, he would talk to me about them as well (the ortho).
    -Brenda

Let's face it: some orthodontists are wretchedly poor at communication. Others are great. Some seem to view any queries as questioning their abilities and expertise, whereas others see it merely as a patient who wishes to be more informed about what is being done and why, so as to be able to be more involved, and to make informed decisions should any issues arise. I've always felt that finding an orthodontist whose communication style meets your own needs is darn near as important as finding one who is technically proficient.

Markham, Toronto, Richmond Hill, Stouffville
    There are many different styles to people, whether orthodontists or not. Some are inherently better at communication, whereas others are not.

Some patients want to know about every single aspect of their treatment down to the mechanics. Others could care less about anything except when the braces are coming off or when Invisalign will be done.

From the perspective of an orthodontist, it is our job to figure out what each individual patient wants, as each person has different needs. Individualized treatment is not just providing the treatment best for that person, but also "figuring out" the best way to interact with them.

As you can imagine, with the number of patients that seek consultations, as well as the number of active patients in treatment, it is not always easy to find enough time to
    "figure" each person out. This is why the office team plays such a large role in our practice. Alone, the orthodontist may not be able to spend that much time with each patient, but someone in the office who is knowledgeable can.

With regards to being glorified technicians, there are likely many who are. Those orthodontists are likely to never really find success with Invisalign, and end up with many frustrated patients. Just like communication with patients is important, the same can be said for communication between the orthodontist and the technician. The doctor has to tell the tech where teeth should move, what order, which attachments are required, how many stages, IPR, etc. Note that Invisalign mechanics are very different from that of traditional fixed braces. Treatment planning is crucial and I can speak for very experienced Invisalign orthodontists when I say that it is exceedingly rare that a ClinCheck is accepted without modifications.
    Dr Jason K Tam
    Markham Orthodontist, Stouffville Orthodontist, Oshawa

Top 1% Super Elite Invisalign, Teen Provider, Invisalign Speaker's Bureau
    2012 Las Vegas Invisalign Case Finalist
    2014 Invisalign Case Publication

Invisalign in Toronto Blog
    **NEW** Before and After Invisalign 2.0 Video
    Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

MCO Orthodontics Facebook

35. I attempting to get accountability out of a bunch of southern women, I accept it as my problem for getting into this situation. I have taken the following approach. I repeat what they said would happen, and they confirm it. I then say I'll follow up myself if (when) I don't hear back. If they don't get back to my messages then I get loud and tell them why.

It took from December till Mid April to get first retainers. I would not have left a deposit if I had know this.

Blog Entries
    I have 32U and 32L. That's 64 weeks + refinements so I would say roughly 18 months all said and done.
    Experience is not something you can buy, but it is something you will pay dearly for.

Ive got 17 upper and 12 lower, so 8 and a half months altogether

38. I've got 10U and 10L. So happy it isn't for very long. Compared to everyone else that is :P

I have 17L and 14U - so all things going well should be done by March 2010. I'm crossing my fingers for only 8 months, but I have been told to allow up to a year including the refinements at the end. I'm only on day 6!

my niece just started invisalign and has 20 upper and 17 lower...
    Braced Twice. Wear Your Retainers!
    Ceramic Braces On Top and Metal Braces On Bottom, Palatal Expander - First Time Around
    Metal braces top and bottom - Second Time
    Now Wearing Retainers At Night!

12 upper/ 8 lower....so apx 6mos. (I hope and pray). I'm only on my first week and am finding it to be quite a hassle. I can't imagine having to deal with this for over a year!!! Yowza! I give those people credit!

The hassle gets easier over time.
    -Brenda

Blog Entries
    I was told a year (including refinements). I just picked up my first set of aligners this morning and I have 12 uppers and lowers.

I have 30 trays for the bottom and 29 for the top. Just started on tray 3 yesterday - the end seems a long way off!

45. When I first started I wasn't too sure and thought it could take longer than christmas but I am on tray 4 of 10 with a week left on tray 4. As long as every tray is 2 weeks it should be good.

I'm getting 10 trays for the top and 6 for the bottom and I was told it was gonna take 10 months but I'm hoping to have to have them in for a shorter period of time.

Two years!!!

(I am halfway through this)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    .oO ROSIEEE Oo.

48. 12 upper and lower I think.
    Just started on my first tray. I change new aligners every month.

Blog Entries
    Last time I posted to this thread was 23rd February......and thats me all finished now.
    I got tray 1 on 10th January, had 29 upper and 13 lower, so well ahead of schedule, with 29 trays it should have been 58 weeks (2 weeks a tray) but I've managed to finish in 40 weeks total and I dont need refinments either.

50. I think I am on my 8th or 9th tray out of 10. I'd check but I don't have the packets with me. But either way there is only a few weeks before I can get these annoying things out. I do have a question though, what are refinements? I should of asked this way earlier but i'm hoping there not more trays :(