Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. I've decided to try soaking them in "Polident for Retainers" perhpas 3 times a week along with brushing them with a toothbrush(no paste) and rinsing. They are always soaking when not in use.

I soak mine in half hydrogen peroxide and half water everytime I take them out for a meal. I give them a rinse under the tap before putting them in a jar of the mixture and rinse them again before putting them back in. I hardly have to brush them, maybe a little bit each night but that's if I'm being really fussy. Hydrogen peroxide doesn't smell like bleach, it has no smell - in case people didn't know :) I prepare a new mixture each fortnight when I put my new aligners in.

Would the rotary kind of electronic toothbrush like Oral B be too strong for the trays? I need to brush very hard on some hard to clean areas with a manual soft toothbrush, but it's just a second or two on each spot with the Oral B. Wondering which way is less "abrasive" on the trays.

4. I always just use an ordinary toothbrush and toothpaste every time I take them out on my aligners and have never had any problem with odour or discolouration or abrasion...
    :clapping::clapping: round one 18/18 done! round two 6/6 done! Waiting to hear about round three... :clapping::clapping:

5. Just thought I'd re-post now that I'm on tray 10 out of 10 (Finally!!!) - I soak my trays in Listerine every morning when I wake up for about an hour (while I have my coffee, shower, etc). I then brush them with my sonicare toothbrush to get all the green/blue off, rinse them and pop them back in. I've had no issue with them smelling and they look very clear and clean before I put them in. Works great!

Markham, Toronto, Richmond Hill, Stouffville
    Quote Originally Posted by ginakins View Post
    I haven't read any posts regarding ultraviolet dental cleaners. Has anyone any experience with them? I'm investigating one that cleans and sanitizes with just water.
    Do you have a link to such a product? We provide our patients with ultrasonic cleaners that can help loosen any hardened material on the aligners, making it easy to brush off, but haven't yet seen an ultraviolet cleaner.
    Dr Jason K Tam
    Markham Orthodontist, Stouffville Orthodontist, Oshawa

Top 1% Super Elite Invisalign, Teen Provider, Invisalign Speaker's Bureau
    2012 Las Vegas Invisalign Case Finalist
    2014 Invisalign Case Publication

Invisalign in Toronto Blog
    **NEW** Before and After Invisalign 2.0 Video
    Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

MCO Orthodontics Facebook

I'm new to invisalign Tray #1/25 U 1/17L but so far what works for me is to soak them everyother day with a 50/50 mix Peroxide/Water. Every time I remove them I rinse them with water and after I brush my teeth I only use water to wash them off. 1 time a Week I've decided I'll use half a efferdent tablet and soak them. If I make any changes I'll post them on my blog From Gap to Gone ~ My Invisalign Adventure

just doing what the ortho said

I'm very new to this, got my first set of trays 6/21. My ortho (and the instruction manual) said to use warm water to rinse them and a little bit of toothpaste with a soft bristle brush. I do this in between brushing my teeth and putting the aligners back in my mouth.
    Also, my ortho suggested to rinse them off when you take them out of your mouth because if you let the saliva dry on them when you take them out of your mouth, it tends to make them look cloudy. Seems to be working so far! :)

For my initial set of trays (19U 19L) I always brushed them with toothpaste in the morning and during the day, and polident at night. At the end of the 2 weeks, they always got pretty cloudy although I cleaned them religiously. At the time I didn't mind the cloudiness too much since I only wore each for 2 weeks anyway. Now that I'm on refinements, I figured I should start looking for a less abrasive way and get used to it before I'm put on the same tray (retainer) for a whole year.
    - The sonic cleaner did not work too well for me. Maybe it's just me but I didn't feel comfortable putting them back to my mouth if I couldn't see it's clean (it's so mild)... Another major drawback is that I get paranoid and can't sit tight watching TV knowing some battery is still running in my kitchen. But again, maybe it's just me.
    - Whoever suggested Listerine Whitening deserves a medal! It made a huge difference! Now at the end of each 2 weeks, my trays remain sparklingly new and fresh. My experience is that it does not have to be Listerine brand. It can be Crest 3D White, even Scope, as long as it is a whitening one. I'm sure the regular green/blue mouthwash does the same cleaning, but it won't give you that sparklingly shine...

10. My dentist said to clean them with a toothbrush(not the one I use to brush my teeth with), water and a little bit of soap... and to get polident retainer cleaner (not denture cleaner!!!)
    The toothbrush I do after everytime I eat and the Retainer cleaner once a week but he said I can do it as often as I want.
    Im still on my first aligners

11. I just brush mine with a separate toothbrush and toothpaste morning and night, sometimes after lunch, and I haven't had any problems with keeping them clean. My dentist said not to soak them in mouth wash.

Blog Entries
    I have the best technique i just stumbled across by mixing potions. (Science kids bahaha) i purchased some denture cleaner called "Polident - Fast acting within 3 minutes" and just have been using that on its own a few times a week. It never really got the build up of gunk out of the grooves. So i would then have to brush them as well. I was going through this and someone suggested listerine whitening. I happened to have some already. So, i got about 30% listerine and 70% warm water and added my polident tablet. Chucked them in and left them for about 5 minutes. They are literally now squeaky! No white, no build up stuck in grooves. Just ran them under cold water and popped them back in. No need for brushing. I'll be doing this every 2-3 days. Brushing them the rest of the time.

Wow Thomas, that sounds like a magical mixture.
    I just ordered Retainer Bright in the UK.
    I have cleaned my first tray with hand washing liquid and a toddler toothbrush. It has never smelt but it has this whitish build-up in the "grooves".

14. I am a dental hygienist. In office we do clean patient's aligners, dentures and other oral appliances with the ultrasonic in a special cleaning solution. At home we recommend brushing them with dish soap or hand soap, as it is not abrasive and will not harm the appliances. I have my patients bring any oral appliances in to their hygiene appointments and I clean them at the same time. This is the safest, cheapest and easiest way to keep them clean.

Blog Entries
    I'm now on day 19 of my first trays. I started brushing them with Dawn dishwashing liquid (I think I read it on here.) I bought a small bottle for the bathroom and use it every time I take them out. In the morning, I take them out, rinse them, then drop them in a glass with 1 part Listerine and 3 parts water. I let them soak while I get ready for work and drink my coffee, then brush them with the Dawn and put them in. I notice absolutely no odor this way.

I just compared them to my next set of trays and they actually look cleaner than the new ones.
    Millenia

20/20 Upper
    18/18 Lower

Refinements
    26/26 Upper
    15/15 Lower

Started Invisalign 10/1/2012
    Finished on 3/10/2014

I've brushed by aligners every day every time I brush my teeth (although I can't say after every single snack). I just finished 48 trays (11 months of treatment). I've never had a problem with odor or them not feeling clean. I only wear my aligners for one week though...so that likely helps. I find it hard to believe everyone is having trouble cleaning them?

Quote Originally Posted by ElyseAnne View Post
    I've brushed by aligners every day every time I brush my teeth (although I can't say after every single snack). I just finished 48 trays (11 months of treatment). I've never had a problem with odor or them not feeling clean. I only wear my aligners for one week though...so that likely helps. I find it hard to believe everyone is having trouble cleaning them?
    On tray 1 I noticed that the real build-up happens during week 2 if I do not use retainer brite. Now that I use retainer brite once a day, the first three weeks were fine but in week 4 I start to see build-up even though I use retainer brite once a day and liquid soap the other time I take the trays off. I am looking forward to wearing tray number 4 for "only" two weeks again.
    For the remaininig days of tray 3 I will use retainer brite twice a day.

Currently on 50/68 U and L - 8 U and 4 L attachments; No planned IPR! No planned change of attachments! Currently again two elastics.

18. Im going to be wearing my next 2 lowers for about 8 weeks each as per my dentist so Im curious how they will hold up. I use retainer bright in warm water every morning, I notice you still need to brush them but it really loosens up the plaque.

Talking

My dentist recommended using an extra soft perio-type toothbrush and just water to brush off the trays every time I take them out to eat. And they said always rinse with water TWICE after brushing & flossing before putting your trays back in. Any residual toothpaste or mouthwash can break down the tray material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    Do not brush your trays. You will scratch them and bacteria will collect in the scratches and make you have bad breath. All you have to do is soak them in denture cleanser when you wake up in the morning. When I take them out to eat I will either soak them again in denture cleanser or pour some mouthwash into a mixture of water. Works great, no problems.

I brush mine once or twice a day with a non-abrasive (non-whitening) toothpaste and my Sonicare toothbrush. Usually about 30 seconds a tray works perfectly, and I have not had any trouble with smell or cloudiness since I started doing this. If I am brushing them away from home I have a very soft toothbrush that I use, but I found very quickly that it doesn't get all the gunk off. My Sonicare keeps them smelling fresh.
    F. Bearslippers

New Trent Sonic Cleaner -- bought it on Amazon. Does an awesome job. I think it was about $36 us and arrived in two days. I drink coffee with my aligners in and this little guy makes my aligners sparkling.

Blog Entries
    I know sonicbrite and retainer brite are used with sonic cleaners and not ULTRAsonic cleaners. Dr. Tam above mentions he provides ULTRASONIC cleaners for his patients. Are their any specific brands/types to look for to make sure I get the correct technology

Blog Entries
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!! My dentist did a "rush job" on me when giving me my invisalign and did not tell me anything except to not eat or drink anything besides water with them in and to brush and floss everytime I had anything else. I have been brushing my braces with toothpaste since i got them! The smell is horrific in the morning! Thank goodness I get a new set tomrrow.

So I'm a new member here, but I though I would post here to save all of you some headaches while trying to clean your Invisalign. I finished my treatment about 9 months ago and have moved on to Vivera retainers, and the best way to clean them both is with OxiClean! Mix a bit in a cup of water, and after rinsing your aligners, just toss them in the cup. The longer you can leave them in, the better, but even 30 mins is plenty to get most of the gunk off. Give them a quick rinse after to get all the OxiClean off and pop them back in. No smell, no gunk, no pain. If you can soak them for an hour or two they will be spotless. If not, a quick scrub from your toothbrush will help. If they are really dirty, soak them as long as you can, and from then after, it will only require a quick soak every night before bed. I used to brush them tirelessly to get all the gunk off and the smell was harder to get rid off, but this little trick is so easy and effective, and relatively cheap for the amount of OxiClean you have to use. Just dump the water out every few days to keep it fresh and you will never be frustrated with cleaning your aligners again. Trust me, it works wonders!

Quote Originally Posted by mrstone14 View Post
    So I'm a new member here, but I though I would post here to save all of you some headaches while trying to clean your Invisalign. I finished my treatment about 9 months ago and have moved on to Vivera retainers, and the best way to clean them both is with OxiClean! Mix a bit in a cup of water, and after rinsing your aligners, just toss them in the cup. The longer you can leave them in, the better, but even 30 mins is plenty to get most of the gunk off. Give them a quick rinse after to get all the OxiClean off and pop them back in. No smell, no gunk, no pain. If you can soak them for an hour or two they will be spotless. If not, a quick scrub from your toothbrush will help. If they are really dirty, soak them as long as you can, and from then after, it will only require a quick soak every night before bed. I used to brush them tirelessly to get all the gunk off and the smell was harder to get rid off, but this little trick is so easy and effective, and relatively cheap for the amount of OxiClean you have to use. Just dump the water out every few days to keep it fresh and you will never be frustrated with cleaning your aligners again. Trust me, it works wonders!
    EXCELLENT suggestion! Of course, OxiClean! That makes so much sense, since it is designed to removed organic (living) material!

Blog Entries
    I would be very wary of using OxiClean on something you're putting in your mouth. It's not meant for this purpose. Also, many people are allergic to OxiClean. I know I am! If I use it in my laundry, I break out in hives. It could potentially be a life threatening allergic reaction if I put it in my mouth.
    Invisalign Start Date: 1-17-2013

Initial round of treatment: 24 U&L, 14 attachments
    Refinements 1/28/14: 22 U&L, 16 attachments, 3 metal buttons, 5 elastics

Lower retainer 12/23/14, circumferential elastics
    Upper retainer 1/14/15

Quote Originally Posted by SopranoKris View Post
    I would be very wary of using OxiClean on something you're putting in your mouth. It's not meant for this purpose. Also, many people are allergic to OxiClean. I know I am! If I use it in my laundry, I break out in hives. It could potentially be a life threatening allergic reaction if I put it in my mouth.
    Yes, certainly if you have an allergic reaction to something definitely don't be using it in your mouth. I found this info on Livestrong.com "According to research by Laundry Alternative, OxiClean consists of 50 to 60 percent sodium percarbonate. Sodium percarbonate must be added to water to be activated. When activated, it breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate in solution. The bubbling action, or the release of oxygen molecules, loosens stain molecules from fibers so they can be rinsed away."

So if dentists are recommending a hydrogen peroxide solution as a cleaning idea for aligners, Oxiclean is still a possibility. Also, bleach is toxic, but some dentists do recommend a very weak solution of bleach & water for aligners as well (I tried this with my first trays but they got very cloudy...I may have been over zealous with the bleach :)

Also, I don't think its a great idea to drink Dawn detergent yet this is also suggested as a cleaning remedy for aligners. Also, who knows what is in either the Polident tablets or the Retainer Brite product??

If you are a sensitive person to chemicals (of any sort) than probably the vinegar & baking soda option may be best.

As for myself, on my second set of trays I am trying Cologate Optic White mouthwash (pure strength) in a jewlery sonic cleaner machine. So far so good (only day 1), and the aligners taste nice when I put them back in!!

Blog Entries
    Oxiclean is 40% sodium percarbonate and the remaining 60% contains surfactants and emulsifiers that you do not want in your mouth. It is meant for cleaning laundry, not your aligners. You'd be better off using a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water to clean you aligners. Cheaper & safer :-)

Upper retainer 1/14/15

I am still very new to Invisalign as I am only on my second aligner. I soak my aligners in water w/retainer bright(I don't get a new tablet everytime, just once a day. I leave the glass on the bathroom counter for later use) anytime they are not in my mouth even at work (lucky for me there are only 2 women in the office, so the bathroom is always clean and semi-private.) Then I simply brush them with a soft bristled toothbrush and rinse very well before putting them back in. I haven't noticed any gunk or odor at all. They stay nice and clear.
    Round 1: Began 3-8-13 - Stopped at 19 trays - original plan 19U/28L w/ 13 attachments-6U/7L.
    Round 2: Began refinement 1-3-14 - 15 trays both U/L w/ 8 attachments-2U/6L.
    Received Retainers February 24, 2015 - (6 months full time retainer wear)

http://michellesinvisalignjourney502.blogspot.com/

30. Okay. I'm having trouble choosing which route to go. I'm only on day 7 of my first set of trays (my treatment plan calls for 21 sets of trays). Thus far my routine has been to always rinse the aligners well upon removing them. In the morning, I brush them with water only & a separate soft tooth brush before popping them in a generic brand Efferdent-type denture cleaning tablet bath while having breakfast. I brush them again with the separate brush & water, rinsing well, before placing them back in mouth. I brush & floss after every meal, and brush the aligners again with water only. After reading tips online, I started soaking the aligners in either a 50/50 white vinegar/water solution or hydrogen peroxide/water solution while I eat meals during the day.

I'm considering buying either a sonic or ultrasonic cleaning machine (sonicbrite or actual ultrasonic model??), but cannot decide what cleaning tablet/powder to get. I've got a fairly large box of the efferent-type still left, which I'm sure I'll use over time. Stick with the generic Efferdent? Buy RetainerBrite? Buy the powdered sonic cleaner that comes with the SonicBrite?

I've not had any issues with odor or white build-up or gook or anything. Of course I've only had my aligners 7 days now.

Any suggestions on what to purchase? Either way I'm sure I'll keep rotating the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide baths in during the daytime.

OH - I also read about the Listerine Whitening Mouthwash. Try that?? AAAAAH! My head is spinning!

Blog Entries
    If you have something that is working for you, why not continue? I bought the SonicBrite because I was tired of mixing 50/50 peroxide & water twice a day. I will say, the Listerine Whitening Mouthwash was easier than mixing peroxide & water. The sonic cleaner is easier to use for cleaning. However, you do have the added time of having to wait 15 minutes for the cleaning in the unit and then you have to rinse & dry the unit when you're done. So...it just depends on what works for you.

Upper retainer 1/14/15

32. That's true, but I wouldn't say it's working for me just yet. I'm trying to figure out what works best. At this point I can say that I've not experienced any problems with cleaning yet -- but I'd like to become more efficient in my cleaning time. I'm trying to develop a routine. I don't want the aligners to become cloudy, which some orthos suggest might happen with the denture cleaning tablets... so I'm looking at the options. The generic Efferdent tablets I saw on sale, so I bought a box quickly before I received my trays without thinking too much about it. I'm not sure if I'll continue that route, it appears at this point NOT to have damaged the aligners. I'll compare these first trays to the next set next week to see if they look cloudy at all.
    Last edited by mikkime; 04-05-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Here are my tips for keeping your aligners clean.

Sunshine!: How to Keep Invisalign Clean
    Tristan
    Began Treatment on February 28, 2013.
    53 Upper and 53 Lower trays.
    I change trays every seven days.

Began 1st Refinement April 24, 2014.
    34 Upper and 34 Lower Trays.
    Changed every seven days.

Began 2nd Refinement March 3, 2015.
    32 Upper and 32 Lower Trays.
    Changed every seven days.
    Read my Blog and my Invisalign Story HERE

I find that using a child-size toothbrush and regular toothpaste on the trays works well.
    I like Listerine Whitening mouthwash for soaking the trays, I think it's the hydrogen peroxide & alcohol that keeps the trays clean.
    A Denture Bath is what I use for soaking the trays, as it has a removable basket. You can buy a denture bath at Walmart or any drugstore.
    Last edited by Sagebrush; 11-17-2013 at 01:33 PM.

35. If you are from the UK I recommend Milton baby sterilising fluid - it has worked wonders for me. I have used a few drops in warm water morning and night throughout treatment (as recommended by my dentisit). I soak them for about 15 minutes in a denture soaking case (both can be brought in Boots pharmacy). There is no need for expensive products (i have retainerbrite and it makes no difference whatsoever from the 2 bottle of Milton which lasts 2 months +). I have smoked throughout (i know -don't judge me LOL) and my retainers are always clean, unstained and smell free! I do like to have the retainerbrite as they are convenient when travelling/on the go but apart from this I have stuck to Milton and have been pleased with how clean they are at the end of the 2 week cycle.

36. If you are from the UK I recommend Milton baby sterilising fluid - it has worked wonders for me. I have used a few drops in warm water morning and night throughout treatment (as recommended by my dentisit). I soak them for about 15 minutes in a denture soaking case (both can be brought in Boots pharmacy). There is no need for expensive products (i have retainerbrite and it makes no difference whatsoever from the 2 bottle of Milton which lasts 2 months +). I have smoked throughout (i know -don't judge me LOL) and my retainers are always clean, unstained and smell free! I do like to have the retainerbrite as they are convenient when travelling/on the go but apart from this I have stuck to Milton and have been pleased with how clean they are at the end of the 2 week cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
    I find that using a child-size toothbrush and regular toothpaste on the trays works well.
    A Denture Bath is useful for soaking the trays, as it has a removable basket. You can buy a Denture Bath at any drugstore.
    I like Listerine Whitening mouthwash for soaking the trays, I think it's the hydrogen peroxide & alcohol that keeps the trays clean.
    I just bought some Efferdent Power Clean Crystals at Target.
    This is all very close to what I do. Child toothbrush with water or whatever cleaning fluid I'm using (no toothpaste), soak 5-10 minutes each am in a denture bath. What I soak them in depends on where I am. If at home, I do a 50-50 mix of the whitening mouthwash and hydrogen peroxide. I mix a new batch about twice a week.

If I'm traveling (doing a lot of that right now for work) I use the 3 minute Efferdent tablets in warm water because they are easier to travel with than hydrogen peroxide! One half tablet per day. I break the tablet in half while still in the package.

Either way I brush the trays off lightly with the soaking liquid, then rinse well. Both methods work quite well, but I give the slight edge to the 50-50 mix. Trays feel slightly cleaner and more 'minty'.

Been soaking my trays in half mouthwash, half water for a quick rinse. Otherwise, I use denture tabs (Efferdent) and a soft toothbrush to for general cleaning. No staining whatsoever.
    Started Invisalign on: 8/29/2013 (19 attachments)
    Currently on: 25/59 U and L (weekly) + Acceledent + 2x Elastics (night wear)

This is the most stressful part I think!

I've had Tray 1 in for a day and a half and am just not sure what path to take!

I have some sample Retainer Brite so think I will soak them in the morning.

Do i soak them everyday?

What else should I do other than soak them?

Hi Bellzie,

A lot of the older posts on this thread are from when people had the older material for their aligners. The cleaning methods are a little different with the new material, I believe. I am on week two of aligner three and I simply soak mine every morning in retainer brite (purchased from amazon) and brush lightly with toothpaste (as instructed in the info packet that came with the aligners) before putting them back in after eating. Mine are still clear after two weeks. I only drink water and white wine with them in. Good luck!
    Started Invisalign April 8, 2014
    12/19 - Upper and Lower

That's good to know!

Thank you!

Despite the SmartTrack material, I would still advise not to brush with toothpaste because they have an abrasive in them. Particularly with the new material, there is a thin surface layer that Align calls the "comfort layer". This has been shown to slough off, causing a roughened area on the aligner. It does not cause any issues for tooth movement, but may make the aligner less clear and less comfortable.

Our patients are still using their ultrasonic cleaner and brushing with water only. We haven't seen any issues thus far.
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

43. So, based on what I'm seeing here... I should not be using a vibrating SoniCare toothbrush and toothpaste to clean the trays. (If you thought just a plain toothbrush is too aggressive, a running SoniCare brush is probably a jackhammer by comparison.)

I got some generic Walgreens denture cleanser tablets, we'll see how that goes.

44. I rinse my trays with running water as soon as i take them out. Directly after i put my trays in a cup with a bit of dish soap with cold water. When i put my trays back in i brush them with a soft tooth brush and that seems to do the trick for me. If i dont put them in water but in my blue box they are a bit smelly when i put them back in, so the dish soap gives them a nice scent again to
    Edit: i switched to cleaning my trays with an electric brush... It keeps them really clean! Only thing is the brush isnt as deep as the tray so if it gets white somewhere the electric one cant reach, i use a hand brush for those areas
    Last edited by Bracesforme2; 01-09-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawerth View Post
    So, based on what I'm seeing here... I should not be using a vibrating SoniCare toothbrush and toothpaste to clean the trays. (If you thought just a plain toothbrush is too aggressive, a running SoniCare brush is probably a jackhammer by comparison.)
    Toothpaste has an abrasive in it that will cloud the aligners and remove part of the comfort layer on the surface. The use of a sonic toothbrush is fine as long as it is used with water alone. It is a great way to keep things clean.
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

46. Ok so I have used just about evrything under the sun and FINALLY found something that is great.

In my experience tablets don't work and can ruin the plastic, brushing with toothpaste makes the plastic cloudy, and machines and home remedies are annoying. I got a soap made for the aligners called oap cleaner. I really love it. It takes less than 60 seconds and is in a slim bottle that I can take with me.

Hope I helped.

Quote Originally Posted by divaglam View Post
    Ok so I have used just about evrything under the sun and FINALLY found something that is great.

In my experience tablets don't work and can ruin the plastic, brushing with toothpaste makes the plastic cloudy, and machines and home remedies are annoying. I got a soap made for the aligners called oap cleaner. I really love it. It takes less than 60 seconds and is in a slim bottle that I can take with me.

Hope I helped.
    I also use this cleaner. Glad I found this. Really like is. Just curious how much you got it for because I paid 19.99 with a coupon code and free shipping. It was for a 3 month bottle (which actually lasted me 5 months i think).

Well, it was good for you. If you are facing any problem then you should consult with an Orthodontist for better result and safety.