Damon brace for $8,500?!

hi, i was wondering how much does your damon brace cost?

today i went to an ortho in NYC, the expense for 14~16 months treatment is $8,500, which is much higher than i expected. the price includes everything: brace, retainer, 2 year complimentary retainer checks.

i've googled some info. that in LA it costs only $4,200. So does anyone know if my quote is too high? or is it a fair price in NYC? i'm struggling now...

also, how often do you guys visit the ortho? she told me visit her every 8 weeks. is it too long? c'z i think it's not frequent enough to make adjustments. i feel people often go to ortho every 6 weeks.

thanks for any info~

Welcome, Jenny.

Adjustment intervals in the 6 - 8 week range are common. But as much as 8 - 10 weeks and even 10 - 12 weeks are not uncommon. Increased intervals between appointments are actually one of the selling points that Ormco (manufacturers of Damons) uses, when marketing to both patients (along the lines of, "your braces will be less inconvenient since your adjustments will be less frequent") and orthodontists ("with less frequent adjustments, you can see more patients without increasing your workload") Even though, in theory, adjustments can be more widely spaced with self-ligating brackets (this is nothing peculiar to Damons) without impacting the overall treatment time (remembering that archwires are not changed at every adjustment, so many appointments might amount to little more than checking in on your progress) not all orthodontists choose to spread the appointments out more like this when using self-ligating brackets, as they understand that many patients, like you, feel they are not getting value/their case if not being properly followed/they are not being seen often enough when appointments are further apart.

As to price: I'd expect it to be more expensive in what is an expensive part of teh country to live and do business, such as NYC. And precise prices will vary too on the general complexity of your case, as well as whether other factors might come into play, such as needing to coordinate with an oral surgeon or a periodontist. However, you should certainly check around, have a couple more consultations, and see what else is out there. This is not just for price considerations either - you should be entirely confident in the treatment plan that is being proposed before you move forward, and one of th ebest ways to do that is to get a second professional opinion.
    I am not a dental professional.

As it says on the main Bracesreview.com page, always consult a qualified orthodontist, dentist, or medical professional with questions you may have.

Blog Entries
    At my place we do not offer damon or any brand of self ligating brackets, and I cannot comment about the price of them. I do know that the same brands of brackets we use vary in cost, depending on the city of Australia, you're getting treatment in. You will need to compare prices with other providers of the same bracket type in your city, to see if this price is fair or not. Most important ... did you feel good about the ortho who was offering to do your treatment? This is one of, if not the most, important question to be answered with regard to seeking orthodontic treatment.

The ortho's I work for, prefer to let the archwire do most of the work required before taking up your time with an adjustment. This means that appointments are usually between 6 and 12 weeks, with a few being less than 6 and a few more than 12 weeks. Ten weeks seems to be the most common gap, but there is not a set time between appointments, due to the desired treatment outcomes varying.

There are still ortho's who prefer the 'set appointment' style and this makes no difference to your treatment time, as your teeth will not move any quicker or slower due to having appointments that are closer together or further apart.

Good luck with finding the right ortho for you. :)
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

Thanks Zoso & Sunny, the ortho is pretty nice and patient, she answered all my questions and tolerant of my english :-) since that is my second langnage. I feel she's trustworthy but the coodinator who set the appointment and gave the quote seems to be pushy since she wanted me to pay the $3,200 downpayment right away! i just told her i need time to make my decision and will call her back next Monday. For the consultation i paid $250 (taking pics, x-rays, Q&A), last about one hour and a half.

i couldn't find a second certified damon brace ortho in NYC, the next neariest is in New Jersey... that made me hard to compare her with other ortho

and the coordinator told me the ceramic brace did exactly the same job as damon brace, and take the same treatment time, for the same price, but only not self-ligating. i feel the ceramic one is a little bit more bulky than damon one. i'm kind of fan of damon (may be just because their advertise) so i decide to use it if i do the treatment there. i have a narrow arch the ortho said damon is the best one to expend archform. That made me confused: on this aspect, can ceramic one do the same job?

Damons are not the b-all and end-all of braces. The coordinator was exactly right when she told you that other systems will achieve the same results. But, that said, given their level of market penetration, it's unlikely that only one orthodontist in the whole of NYC offers Damons. In any case, why not just look at a few different orthodontists without worrying about what brand of hardware they use? You may be pleasantly surprised by what they have to offer :) You do not need to pay for consultations at all orthodontists - many will offer a basic consultation entirely free of charge - I suspect the reason this doc charged was because he took records (many consultations do not include this).

I suspect that part of what attracts you to Damon is the fact that they are small, but partially clear, so quite discreet. However, there are other options available that meet these needs as well, or in some cases better than Damons. For example, Clarity SL are not much bigger than Damon, and Inovation C are about the same size, but completely clear/white (white metal clip) so are less visible on the tooth even than Damon 3.

Back to what braces can do what. Ormco (who make and market this brand) like to tell people that you can do things like avoid extractions only with their brackets. However, I've heard several respected ad well-qualified orthodontists state unequivocally that it really doesn't matter what bracket system is used - it is the skill of the orthodontist and their knowledge of how to harness the tools they use that matters in what can be achieved.

As it says on the main Bracesreview.com page, always consult a qualified orthodontist, dentist, or medical professional with questions you may have.

Blog Entries
    Jenny it's great you feel comfortable with this orthodontist, and I think you were wise not to pay a deposit without taking time to think about your decision.

I realise that advertising sells, which is why the damon brand are spending so much money on it, but I recommend you consult with some other ortho's in your area, just to check out what they have to say. Many other brands don't feel the need to spend huge amounts on marketing, instead their money goes into their product, training their providers and obtaining the best end results for the clients. When making comparisons, it should help you to make your final decision.

Bulky ... most (not all) ceramic brackets have a larger footprint, but they are not higher off the tooth than the metal brackets. The reason for this, is so that ortho's can mix the brackets they use. Many people have ceramic brackets on their front 6-8 teeth and then the ortho places a metal bracket on the other teeth. Another important factor about the larger footprint, is comfort. You will become comfortable with your brackets, no matter what type you get, but the smaller the bracket the more 'pokey' it is, due to the smaller area it will be pressing into.

Good luck with coming to a decision about your treatment ... it can be challenging, but be confident that you'll make the best decision for you! :)
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

thanks folks~
    i also feel there must be more othors using damon brace in nyc, but surprisingly, that's the only one i found out through damon's website. today i my friend told me that one of her family member had invisilign in Hawaii and it cost $7,500... well, compare with that, i might feel $8,500 in manhattan is not crazily expensive...

My advice is either to forget about Damons and just have a couple more consultations without thought heading in to what hardware they use. Or head to the AAO's find a doc page (Orthodontist Locator Search Form) and then check out any web pages for orthodontists who turn up in your area to see whether they advertise Damons. But truly, as I said before, Damons are not going to be able to achieve results that are not possible with other brackets, and they're not even the only or most discreet option (even if you have ruled out ceramics).

Good luck with your search.

9. I'm getting Damon Braces in Jersey for a 12 month treatment for $4880, by a highly recommended orthodontist.

That is an insane amount.. let us know what you found. Im glad I went with damon, If i had gone with reg ones I simply would not have had enough room on me teeth since they are so small. My ortho doesnt charge more for the damon. Each bracket is a few dollars more but you dont have to go in as often so it evens out.

Blog Entries
    Smilez the type of bracket does not need to dictate the time between appointments, instead this is up to your ortho, who can easily adjust it to suit the progress of your teeth. Some ortho's operate using regular appointments, like every six or eight weeks, but others will request to see their patient, 10 weeks or 14 or 3 weeks after their adjustment, to track progress.

As to size, I doubt there is a regular bracket, due to the number of companies producing a variety of brackets. There are other brands who have brackets of similar size, and smaller that the damon bracket. They are generally a lower profile bracket, due to not having a door to clip over the archwire, and fit on small teeth.

Sunny... I am repeating what my Orto told me. If you would like to argue with her then so be it. Its her practice and so be it. I can go in anytime I need to but my appointments are less. As for different brackets... well hello.. of course there are many. After going over many types this is the one BEST FOR ME. Simple. It does no protrude out for me.
    What I am saying.. is there is no need for the Damon system to be so much higher. Simple as that. The lower profile brackets didnt fit as well as the damon did on my teeth. Amazing how we all have different teeth and all have different experience with brackets. One size does NOT fit all. Plain and simple.

13. Quote Originally Posted by smilez4me View Post
    Amazing how we all have different teeth and all have different experience with brackets. One size does NOT fit all. Plain and simple.
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true!

14. Your estimate is almost the same as mine, a little lower actually for damon braces. The ortho that gave the estimate though is highly reputable and recommended as one of the best offices in the region, which kind of explains the high cost. I've had other estimates for significantly less but I was not confident in the doctors abilities as they had less than optimistic plans saying that "maybe" we can fix this or "maybe it will work but it won't be as great without surgery."

My case is quite complicated though, involving missing molars on only one side and crossbites and stuff, definately not the worst but easily not a textbook case.

So he could just be giving false confident in his abilities which I am skeptical about but the fact that so many people I know and so many random people I meet with braces went to him, and he was highly praised - is worth a lot in my opinion.

I would say to go with the ortho that inspires the most confidence with the treatment plan you like the best, you will have to deal with this person for the next two years and I don't think any amount of money is worth it if you don't feel that your treatment is going in the right direction. I don't think any ortho is in the market for ripping people off, they just all have different approaches to dealing with the same situation.

Blog Entries
    Some orthos really know what they are doing thus they charge for it. The brackets are tools and not all orthodontist will use them the same...

prices will vary by area too....

Good luck with your treatment...
    In Retainers. Hawley On Top and Perm Retainer Lower.

Blog Entries
    I agree fosterp it's important to choose the person who makes you feel the most comfortable. it's also important not to be overcharged. I realise in some areas if there are many ortho's, some may try to charge more for their skill, which is really unfair, as you're paying for something they believe they have, not something that they've trained for.

Things can go wrong during treatment, whether the case is considered to be straight forward or complicated. If you've paid higher for a perceived skill, you're going to be even more upset about this, when in truth, it wouldn't have mattered what you'd paid.

The consumables used by orthodontist's (brackets, archwires, ligatures, powerchains, elastics, hooks etc) do not cost very much. The main expenses are - personal liability insurance, business insurance, membership of professional bodies, rent/lease, staff wages, electricity, updating equipment, training for ortho, training for staff, etc etc etc.

Good luck with your treatment! :thumb:

Hello,
    The price seems high doesnt it? I got my Damons on at the end of January. They cost 8400.00 for a 22 month treatment basis. However, im very comfortable with my dentist. He sure knows his stuff, I would rather pay the price and know that in the end I will be very satified :). I had my first appointment today since I have had my braces put on. So this was about 10 weeks since I last saw him. My next appointment is end of June so about 8 weeks. Maybe it varies each time? Im not sure. Im new to this! :)

Blog Entries
    Many ortho's vary the time between adjustments to let the archwire complete the work it needs to do.

Where I work, we don't have set times and it can be as short as one week and sometimes as long as three or four months.

There are other ortho's who schedule their patients for regular appointments every 6-8 weeks. Sometimes this suits the office or circuit that they do and sometimes it's just because they like to see their patients that often.

Good luck with your treatment! :thumb:

Thumbs down i have a DAMON consultation n NYC! $10,500 wow

hey, my name is ANDREA, im 25 and live in brooklyn, nyc i have a CLASS 3 under bite, with a pseudo cross bite! i will have to get surgery!
    i started treatment when i was around 14, but never completed it! i've had braces on 4 TIMES! now that i dont have n e insurance i will be paying OUT OF POCKET FOR IT ALL!

I currently have on the INNOVATION C (clear) braces but heard about damon system being SUPREME! so i went to a ortho who only does them! he wanted to charge me $10,500 n a %50 down $530 a month, payment plan (some plan that is!) he was a GREAT sales man! i felt very comfortable he explained everything!! but im paying $5,800 for the braces i have now! with $1200 down! and $99 a month!

i dont really like the DR i have now! i have been 2 about 6 appts! and i've only met him ONCE!!!!! the assistance do all the work!, im not even sure who put on my brackets! HONEST! i dont know the treatment plan or ANYTHING! they deal with mostly CHILDREN, so i understand how having serious conversation with patients is something that isnt warranted. i have considered changing DR but the cost is GREAT!

i am ALSO looking for a ORAL SURGEON! in the TRI STATE area! I WILL ALSO be paying OUT OF POCKET! im not sure WHAT TO DO! but i would like some advice! thank u!

if n e 1 has n e referrals or n e info! please EMAIL ME! ASAP! @ candydt@me.com thanks

20. WHoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa $8500....I live in LA and my cost with EVERYTHING was $4500. And I literally didnt pay a penny out of my pocket due to my dental coverage and my job spending account.

Blog Entries
    Mine were about $5500 but I put $1500 down and I pay $186 a month! Luckily I will be finished with my payments next June :) Braces are no joke.

I was suppose to have mine for 22 months. The cost of mine were 8500.00. Although its looking like I will have to have them longer now.

in the Chicago suburbs damon style runs from 3500 (insurance priced) to 5000-6000. And my adjustment interval is 4-5 weeks.

24. Quote Originally Posted by ports View Post
    in the Chicago suburbs damon style runs from 3500 (insurance priced) to 5000-6000. And my adjustment interval is 4-5 weeks.
    @ports
    I wanted to know if you could message me your Orthodontist info because I live in skokie, IL and my doctor wants around $7500 for my Damon brace. Thank You

Blog Entries
    I would also suggest you give your state university a call. If you're comfortable with Residents working on you, they're often lower cost.

The Crime: Protruding upper canine, upper and lower crowding.
    Sentence: 2 years
    Fine: $4,100
    First day: 12/05/2011. 4 Extractions: 12/12/11. 3rd Adjustment 3/28/12 (canine's in the wire, and pulled into position!). 4th adjustment: 5/16/2012 (closing the gaps!)
    Early release, eligible for parole: June 11, 2013.

My braces (damon clear on top) are costing $5,500 total. I got them in Princeton NJ. I also have a bite turbo, elastics, and a tension holding spring over recessed maxillary lateral incisor.

The whole treatment will be about 2 years.
    Last edited by rtclayton86; 02-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.

1/12/12 - Braces on. Zebra elastics for cross bite. Spring put in. Bite turbo put in.
    3/12/12 - No changes made.
    5/7/12 - Spring removed. Otter elastics added to close holes from extractions. New wires.
    6/20/12 - All elastics stopped. New wires. Spring added to prevent one gap from closing (where implant will be put in).
    8/8/12 - All elastics resumed, Zebras all around. New wires.

27. For comparison, I'm in Canada in a city of about 400,000 and mine were $6,000 (clear on top, silver on bottom) for 16 months of treatment....

28. Hi

I Got my Damon braces on about 3 weeks ago for $6,400

Top 6 are ceramic and rest are metal. $8,500 sounds crazy! Have a shop around and compare prices. I was fortunate my ortho gave me the price she first quoted me when I went in for a consultation as they went up a little when I went to other places to get a second opinion.