1. Did anyone have braces for 6 months only?

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had or known someone to have had braces for just 6 months?

Here is a semi-clear pic of my case (sorry for the mouth close-up if you weren't expecting it!):

I've been told that I should only have my brace for 6 months, but (even though you can't listen too much to other people) it seems that people have had different experiences in a couple of different ways.

Even though my case is more of a 'simple' one, as I have brackets just on my front bottom 7 teeth in order to fix overcrowding, just in 2 weeks, I've seen a lot of movement but in the wrong direction. (Last tooth on the side with the last bracket on has moved inwards a lot - I guess the only way to 'pull it back out' to be aligned with the rest, is to put a bracket on the tooth next to it so that the wire can put pressure on it to pull it back out?)

Whilst I can understand that teeth can move the wrong way and then be adjusted to move the right way, this is my issue.... The orthodontist has said that I need the brace for only 6 months, but I see him only once a month. My question is, is that really possible only go back once a month for another 5 times for adjustments, and in this time, complete the procedure? Bearing in mind, at the most also, my last visit back or one before the last visit will have to be to remove them and make a mold for my retainer... It all seems like such a short time!

I work with a lot of people in their 20's and I asked all of them about their experiences with braces, albeit, they had top and bottom braces and in some cases, had other things to 'fix', they were all surprised to hear that not only am I only going once a month to the orthodontist (they went every 2-3 weeks) and were surpised to hear that it's only meant to take 5-6 months.

My concern also is due to the orthodontist saying that he's only working in this dentist office for the next 6 months! It's just a bit of a shady situation that they don't instill 100% trust in me! They said that he'd complete the treatment however long it takes, so I guess I just have to go with it and hope for the best!

Was just wondering about the 6 month thing really, so if anyone has had/knows someone that had a case like mine?

Thanks everyone!

Traditional metal brace on bottom teeth to fix overcrowding

Blog Entries
    I can't imagine a 6 month braces time span. My mouth isn't bad at all, few crooked teeth and overbite, but I'm in braces for 18-24 months. Maybe he knows what he's doing, but if possible, I might look into getting a second opinion. That just seems to short to me.

Oh no. I've had my braces for 16 months now, I can't believe it. O.o
    And I still have them for a month or 4, sadly, since my treatment got slowed by a few stubborn teeth.

4. Thanks for the replies.

Well, the ortho made it seem like this will be a quick and easy procedure. Brackets just on front bottom 8 teeth and 6 months - I've never known anyone that did the same thing as me (only lots of people that had a brace on top and bottom teeth for 1.5-2.5 years) - So I haven't got much to go on.

I actually went for a second opinion already as I was concerned about a few things, and the second orthodontist who had 30 years experience seemed to think that everything should be OK - He didn't however comment on the 6 month time frame. I guess I'll go with it and see what happens. If the 6 month issue is a problem with the orthodontist I have now (he said he'll not be working in this dentist's office in 6 months time but that he'll finish the treatment with me in any case - But I am not sure where he's planning on doing this!) I can always switch to the second orthodontist to finish off my treatment.

Hope all will go fine... :)

I have heard of the fast 6 month braces but for cosmetic purposes only. Therefore I suppose if all your doing is trying to straighten then perhaps 6 months is enough. My daughter is had hers on for 3 months and already they are quite straight but she has other minor issues so her total time is 15-19 months. Also time in between adjustments now is 8-10 weeks. Hope all goes well and good luck.

Blog Entries
    LMontro it sounds like you're being treated using the '6 month' braces system, which has been outlined by annabella above.

This is were the ortho will correct the front teeth for cosmetic appearance and the bite (the usual reason for orthodontics) is not the focus. This means a much shorter time in treatment, although a lifetime of retainer wear is still required.

Click here for the official website of Dr Rick. He was the ortho behind this type of treatment.

Good luck with your treatment!
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

7. Thanks again for the replies - This forum is great as everyone is so nice and helpful!

I looked at this 6 month brace system but don't quite get it - Are they different braces or regular ones that are just used in a different way and/or just for cosmetic purposes so just take less time?

It makes sense I guess, that my procedure will (hopefully) take just the 6 months - I've heard a lot about people's teeth moving a lot in just 3 months and in some cases already being straight at this stage, so this makes me feel a lot better.

Just hope there are no big bumps along the way as I see one tooth at the front has twisted around a bit and one on the side with the last bracket on has moved inwards a lot, so will need to be adjusted to come back out.

Feeling better about things though - Thanks again for everyone's advice. :bye:

Blog Entries
    They can be any type of brackets. The treatment is different to the norm, in that it's about making the front teeth, those you show when you smile, look good ... it's about cosmetic appearance and not about a persons bite. If your bite is already good, this is great, or if you're a person who's not concerned about their bite and what a 'quick fix' for your smile, this is a great way to have it done.

Alignment is the fast part of orthodontic treatment, the slow part is correcting a persons bite and during this time you often don't see many improvements. Bite issues are the basics of traditional orthodontics, as this is about making sure the future of your jaw joints are cared for. Dr Rick has found a way to make people happy who already have a good bite, or aren't concerned if their bite isn't the best. Also if during treatment you decide to have your bite corrrected, it's easy to do.

In the photo your upper teeth look great, so maybe your treatment is just to align your lowers. Good luck! :thumb:
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    They can be any type of brackets. The treatment is different to the norm, in that it's about making the front teeth, those you show when you smile, look good ... it's about cosmetic appearance and not about a persons bite. If your bite is already good, this is great, or if you're a person who's not concerned about their bite and what a 'quick fix' for your smile, this is a great way to have it done.

Alignment is the fast part of orthodontic treatment, the slow part is correcting a persons bite and during this time you often don't see many improvements. Bite issues are the basics of traditional orthodontics, as this is about making sure the future of your jaw joints are cared for. Dr Rick has found a way to make people happy who already have a good bite, or aren't concerned if their bite isn't the best. Also if during treatment you decide to have your bite corrrected, it's easy to do.

In the photo your upper teeth look great, so maybe your treatment is just to align your lowers. Good luck! :thumb:
    Thanks ;)

Yes, it's just for my bottom teeth - As I have overcrowding, so the idea is to pull the teeth forward and outwards so that they are straight. As I have a slight overbite, the orthodontist said that I have enough room for my bottom teeth to come forward and that they wouldn't need to do something else such as removing a tooth and pulling the teeth 'around' rather than forwards or shaving them down etc.

My slight concern was that he put the brackets on very quickly without having x-rays or molds - I hope that he can see just from looking that I have enough room for the teeth to come forward at the bottom, so that once my braces are off, I will be back to being able to close my mouth again!

I guess I have to have faith in him that all will go good and hope that he has a 'good eye' (!) in order to know it won't be a problem.

You learn a new thing every day! Thanks for explaining this 6 month system - He hadn't explained this to me and/or as to why it only takes 6 months and that it can for sure be done within this time frame....

Everyone has been very helpful :D THX.

10. I think one of my ex co-workers had that type of treatment. When I last spoke to her she said it would only take 4-6 months. And what do you know, 4 months later it was off. I think she just wanted to straighten her front teeth. When she had 'em off, her teeth were straight but her smile was a bit off...I think it was due to the fact that she had an overbite. Judging from your picture, I think it will work out for the best though. Good luck~

11. Quote Originally Posted by 18monther View Post
    I think one of my ex co-workers had that type of treatment. When I last spoke to her she said it would only take 4-6 months. And what do you know, 4 months later it was off. I think she just wanted to straighten her front teeth. When she had 'em off, her teeth were straight but her smile was a bit off...I think it was due to the fact that she had an overbite. Judging from your picture, I think it will work out for the best though. Good luck~
    Thanks ;);)

I hope my smile will be OK after! I guess it's def going to look a bit different to start off with. They are quite overcrowded on the bottom (worse than it looks in the picture). But hey, gotta think of the best!

Great to hear of other people that had the same treatment as me.

Thanks for the good lucks. :)

I think i'm going to use the "6 months system" too.
    My problem is different from LMontro's as i have gaps between teeth.Although my ortho insists that my treatment will be comleted in 6 months with sapphire brackets.

Is this possible or not?I'm not sure cause i'ts really a short period...
    Last edited by lendo; 05-17-2010 at 06:01 PM.

13. Quote Originally Posted by lendo View Post
    I think i'm going to use the "6 months system" too.
    My problem is different from LMontro's as i have gaps between teeth.Although my ortho insists that my threatment will be comleted in 6 months with sapphire brackets.

Is this possible or not?I'm not sure cause i'ts really a short period...
    By the sounds of things, we should be all good :thumb:

Maybe it's even better just to pull your teeth together rather than pulling them out from overlapping over each other etc - I say this because I see how my ortho has put the brackets on in a way so they'll do this, however, some teeth are moving in the right direction, and some in the wrong way. I'm pretty sure that if you're just talking about gaps between your teeth, then it's a pretty easy process.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LMontro View Post
    By the sounds of things, we should be all good :thumb:

Maybe it's even better just to pull your teeth together rather than pulling them out from overlapping over each other etc - I say this because I see how my ortho has put the brackets on in a way so they'll do this, however, some teeth are moving in the right direction, and some in the wrong way. I'm pretty sure that if you're just talking about gaps between your teeth, then it's a pretty easy process.

Good luck!
    Thank you LMontro.Good luck for both of us.:thumb:

Can anyone tell me if i will have to use a retainer(or something) at the end of my treatment?
    Last edited by lendo; 05-17-2010 at 06:01 PM.

15. Quote Originally Posted by lendo View Post
    Thank you LMontro.Good luck for both of us.:thumb:

Can anyone tell me if i will have to use a retainer(or something) at the end of my threatment?

I was also wondering the same thing about the retainer. My guess is yes. Pretty sure that all brace wearers have to wear a retainer after... Correct?

Blog Entries
    Lendo hopefully if your ortho believes your alignment can be corrected within six months it will be. There are factors that can change what the ortho predicts, but experience with past patients does give them some idea. In general, teeth move 1 mm a month ... so that helps them when they work out time lines.

Good luck! :thumb:

Retainers for all... forever! I would not be doing this a second time if I had worn my retainers...

That being said, different orthos prescribe different timelines of retainer wear. I will wear mine 8-12 hours nightly for one year when I am finished with Invisalign, and then decrease wear to every other night for another year, and so on. However, I will always wear them AT LEAST three nights weekly for life.