1. Last month before my braces come off!

Hey everyone!

I'm reaching the final month and my braces should be coming off...I just wanted to know what's next?

I know i'll be wearing my retainers...will I get them the same day I get my braces off? or is there a waiting period to come back to pick up those retainers...

Also, after the removal of my dental appliances...do I immediately go to my dentist right after for my cleaning? do they suggest that I wait several days?

What procedures follow after the removal of my dental appliances??

My ortho hasn't really spoken to me about it yet...but I just want to know so I can plan my dentist visits and such accordingly...:)

Thank You in advance for anyone who responds!

Blog Entries
    Congrats to you! I'm hoping to have naked teeth within the next few weeks ... maybe I'll beat you!!!

I think most of your questions depend on your ortho's practise and what you prefer.

Where I work the bonded retainers are put before the before the braces are removed. Then when the brackets are removed a mould is taken of the teeth and the removable retainers are made using this mould. We then get the patient back a week later for their removable retainers.

Most of our patients don't need to go to their dentist immediately, unless they've not been giving their dental hygiene the time it deserves. I know my oral hygiene has been great and I've been seeing my dentist twice a year, but I'll be wanting to see him within the month following getting my braces off ... just because I feel it will give him a better chance to really check my teeth out.

Also some people find that their gums become a little irritated when they get their braces removed and I suspect this would be a bit uncomfortable to visit the dentist with.

I think waiting a few days would be a good idea, but talk to your ortho, so that you know what he recommends.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'what procedures follow after the removal of my dental appliances?' Where I work, the brackets are removed then the excess glue is ground away and then the moulds for retainers are taken. One week later the patient returns for their retainers. One month later they have retainer check one, then three months, then six months and then yearly for as long as they want checks.

Here's to us both having a great end to this month! :thumb:
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

Blog Entries
    I am so happy for the two of you!!!! Cant' wait until it's my turn.

Congratulations. Like sunny said, it will depend on ehygiene for how quickly you go for a cleaning. I'd schedule one asap, as long as it fits into your insurance plan. Get everything nice and shiny... maybe a whitening treatment if you can afford it too.

5. @ Sunny! Thank you for ur reply! u always give some good advice/opinions! I'm really happy to hear that your getting ur braces off as well! congrats!!

to everyone else who responded...thank u as well!

just to make things a bit clearer, what I meant by "what are the procedures following..." was like...on the day that I go to get my braces off...once that part is complete...should i go to the dentist right after for the cleaning, whitening, etc? maybe not RIGHT after but is there a recommended time frame to get that done being that the teeth tend to be sensitive and all.

I know it takes approximately a week before my retainers come in right? so in the mean time...without having any appliance on my teeth to hold my teeth in place..will they shift? since teeth tend to shift back to their original positions....I really DON'T want that to happen...

6. Quote Originally Posted by stevenson View Post
    After a lot of difficulty finding the opening to the pocket, I bought a sharp pointed dental pick and now use this to locate the hole each time before applying the irrigator. The procedure works well and using the irrigator appears to be having a positive effect on the pocket.
    what?

Blog Entries
    Ignore the spammer stCx86! lol

Your retainers are made using your moulds the day your retainers are removed. Your teeth may move a small amount, but the retainers will quickly get everything back in place. Some ortho's are able to have retainers on the same day, or within 24 hours, or a week or two ... you'll need to talk to your ortho about that.

I don't know about how long after you should see your dentist, but maybe a couple of weeks, so that if your gums/teeth are sore from having your braces removed and adjusting to retainers, this won't affect your dentist treatment.

I'm having my final x-ray on 28 June ... so here's hoping!
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegasann View Post
    I am so happy for the two of you!!!! Cant' wait until it's my turn.
    +1

Congrats!!