Using Retainer as whitening tray not possible?

Hi,

I haven't been on this forum for ages! I finished with my Invisalign uppers already last year, and only a short while till I get my fixed braces of my lowers :)
    I have some dental work to be done after.. whitening is first! I already use a plastic retainer for the uppers (Essix type), and I will get one for the lowers as well (in addition to a fixed one). So, I heard that some people use these retainers as whitening tray - however my dentist (who is not my ortho) says this is not possible, as the trays aren't the correct size / don't have the correct space for the whitening gel. Is this correct or is he only trying to get me to spend (even!!) more money by having new trays made? Shall I just buy something like nite white and do it myself using the trays?

thanks for your advice!!

Blog Entries
    Your dentist is correct.

We get asked this question regularly by our patients and this is the answer we have to give them. If you want whitening trays, you'll have to get them made, as they have space for the whitening gel to be in, whereas retainers are made to retain the teeth and don't have space.
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

I have a question as well. Is it possible to use whitening gel while my braces are on? I noticed that my teeth color are changeing though I never miss to floss and brush my teeth after every meal.

Blog Entries
    Don't whiten while you have braces as you'll cause your teeth to be more than one shade, as the area under the bonding won't be whitened.

Instead practice great oral hygiene and don't overbrush.

Good luck!
    After 5 years, 11 months and two days of stainless steel brackets ... my teeth now have upper and lower bonded, gold wire, retainers and removable clear retainers!

My dentist and ortho have told me to use my Essix retainer as a whitening tray.