Bite blockers, or turbos, or molar build up or whatever... giving me a problem!

I can't freak out too much yet - as I am 44 and only on the 2nd day of my treatment. However, ny ortho applied these blue pointy molar build-ups on my lower molars and chewing is FAIL. The good news is I have no real soreness and have not yet needed wax. The bad news for me is I can not chew anything effectively. I do have a significant overbite and I read a lot of threads to reseach this, but it is still unclear to me as to how long (typically) I must endure the molar build-up. Any idea?

Damon Clears

Blog Entries
    I have had molar buildups for a little over 10 months!! I will tell you that the only thing to do is to try and chew regularly. I think things started to get more normal after 2-3 months. I stuck to a lot of pastas, tuna, and other soft foods for a while. The more you chew, the more the molar buildup will grind down and fit into your mouth. My molar buildup right now is so low that I can eat anything. It may suck now, but it will get better as your teeth align and you chew more. No worries!

Yikes! I read on my orhto's website 6-8 mos is typical.

Damon Clears

Blog Entries
    I hope to get mine off in Oct.. my front teeth tilt inwards, so hoping by next month it'll be ok so they don't hit the bottom brackets. It'll be 6 months I think...

Blog Entries
    My adjustment is next Tuesday so MAYBE that will be the day they decide I don't need it anymore! But my bite is not totally fixed yet, so most likely I will continue to wear these for the next couple months.

Wow, it seems like every ortho is a "used car salesman" and lowballs the time frame for treatment. I hope that is not really the case.

Damon Clears

I ate a half of grilled chicken last night and it went slow, but I managed to chew it up (sort of). Sucess!!! I felt like I had walked on the moon!!! There is hope for me yet!

The cleanup was not as bad as I thought it would be. Flossing is still very difficult, but darn it all, I wil figure out a way to do it better.

I refuse to let the bite blockers hold me back, well, except for tough things like steak maybe... one day at a time, LOL.

Damon Clears

Blog Entries
    You can still eat steak :) Just a bit more slowly.. my bite is no where to being fixed yet.. still have that deep bite. But, as long as my top teeth don't hit the brackets, I can get them off...and that's what I'm counting on this wire doing!!! :)

Good luck! I look forward to dumping the molar buildup, but at least I am discovering tricks to still eat what I like (that will not destroy my brackets or archwires)!

Damon Clears

I am really much happier after just a few days! I ate pizza and wings last night. I had to pill the meat off the wings in small pieces and cut up the pizza, but it worked out fine. Slow and steady :) . The cleanup was really disgusting though! I had big chunks of stuff in my bathroom sink - almost thought I should be using the kitchen sink and disposer, LOL!!!

It IS getting easier. YAY!!!

Damon Clears

Some say it's about 6 months.
    I just got mine 2 days ago and already got pretty used to them, they are annoying though.
    I never liked to eat and don't eat much even if I can with no problems so now I'll propably eat less, my ortho even told me "you'll loose some weight" when I asked how am I supposed to eat with that in my mouth.
    But. If I didn't have them I'd be breaking off some brackets all the time and my lower prackets are attached to the arch wire with metal ties (yeah that's how crooked my teeth are)
    I'd put a picture up but have no clue how to do it on the phone =/

As your bite shifts.. they'll make them smaller. You'll also grind them down through normal usage.

When I first got my bite blockers 2 years ago. I could slide my tongue between my top and bottom teeth, from the huge gap they created.

I still have my bite blockers 2 years later, but they're much smaller. I can eat peanuts, chips, lettuce, just about anything I want to. But it took a long time to get here. I didn't have any chips for the first 4-5 months I had braces.

You might end up having them the whole time you have braces. I got mine at 25. Was supposed to be a 2 year treatment, and it'll likely be 3 years now.