1. lingual braces and speech

Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to correct my buck teeth for the longest time. The only thing holding me back is how braces will affect my speech needed for work. I'll be working as professional where my speech is really everything (think lawyer/consultant) and I would have to face clients everyday. Ceramic or regular braces are out because I need to look professional and cant look too young, while invisalign can't correct my problem. lingual seems to be my best option (did I miss anything)

Is there anyone who can attest to whether how much lingual braces affect their speech and their career. The good thing is that I have 2 months to get use to the braces before I start work, but I am really worried that my speech will still be problematic once i start work.

any advice is greatly appreciated!

You have two months to get used to the braces before starting work?? I had 12 hours!

I had lingual uppers (ceramic lowers). First two weeks were a challenge for me, mainly because my tongue got chewed up by the braces. Then things settled down. The only thing you will have to work at is pronouncing the "s" sound, but quite honestly, no-one will notice any changest to your speech other than perhaps yourself. I can't see that it will have any impact on your career.

I am also a consultant, btw.

3. It depends on arch size and how much hardware they put in there to close the gaps. For me, my speech was never right, so I switched to frontal braces after 8 months.

4. thanks to both for your replies!

Great to hear real life experiences instead of promotion material I found on orthodontists' websites.

Coconut- I assume that lingual has no adverse impact at all for you? Completely no lisp? that's awesome

Maxhammer- interesting point you made about arch size. Did the ortho tell you that your problem with sppech stems from your arch size? Also, was your additional problem with speech known before you put on the braces? was yours the incognito system which is supposed to be an improvement from previous forms of linguals?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by applecidar View Post

Coconut- I assume that lingual has no adverse impact at all for you? Completely no lisp? that's awesome
    I had a slight lisp, but I suspect it was more noticeable to me than to anyone else. It got worse when I was dehydrated, so I tried to drink lots of water.

6. Quote Originally Posted by applecidar View Post
    thanks to both for your replies!

Great to hear real life experiences instead of promotion material I found on orthodontists' websites.

Maxhammer- interesting point you made about arch size. Did the ortho tell you that your problem with sppech stems from your arch size? Also, was your additional problem with speech known before you put on the braces? was yours the incognito system which is supposed to be an improvement from previous forms of linguals?

Cheers!
    I was speaking pretty well until he put in this metal wire to connect the power chains/close the gaps. My tongue kept hitting it and I'd lisp. Then once the caps closed, the arch became smaller and it just felt too cluttered in there. It is much better now after switching to outer braces.

I never had any speech problem beforehand, and I don't have one now after changing out of linguals. I was in linguals for 8 months. You could maybe do some of your treatment in them, and then change out later on. My ortho did the change for free since it was less work for him.

I have had my linguals on the upper teeth for one week and my speech is awful. I have overcrowding up top which I understand makes the speech problems more difficult. Can anyone tell me if this improves or if I will be speaking like this for the long haul? I am really getting depressed!

Quote Originally Posted by applecidar View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to correct my buck teeth for the longest time. The only thing holding me back is how braces will affect my speech needed for work. I'll be working as professional where my speech is really everything (think lawyer/consultant) and I would have to face clients everyday. Ceramic or regular braces are out because I need to look professional and cant look too young, while invisalign can't correct my problem. lingual seems to be my best option (did I miss anything)

Is there anyone who can attest to whether how much lingual braces affect their speech and their career. The good thing is that I have 2 months to get use to the braces before I start work, but I am really worried that my speech will still be problematic once i start work.

any advice is greatly appreciated!

My lisp cleared up after about a week. I work in a job where I talk to lots of people and it doesn't bother me anymore. Nobody knows I have them on. I actually have done a few video interviews without any problems. Just pick a week where you don't have to do so much talking so you can get used to them.

9. hai..i am in my 5th day and today i've start working..speech is terrible..someone notice my speech and she thought i was eating with full mouth! later i told her i have an ulcer problem..mine is lingual on top and bottom..I feel i want to cry for not having correct speech..it is hard to speak..for the pain with tongue and all i can still adapt..please tell me to keep on hope coz i feel i want to take these out and have a normal one instead..

10. Quote Originally Posted by yunasumm View Post
    hai..i am in my 5th day and today i've start working..speech is terrible..someone notice my speech and she thought i was eating with full mouth! later i told her i have an ulcer problem..mine is lingual on top and bottom..I feel i want to cry for not having correct speech..it is hard to speak..for the pain with tongue and all i can still adapt..please tell me to keep on hope coz i feel i want to take these out and have a normal one instead..
    Your speech will get better over time, trust me. If you want to speed up how quickly your speech gets back, just keep practicing by talking a lot. Talk a lot, sing a lot, or anything along that line. I wrote up how I practiced in the thread I made a while back. You can find it here:

http://www.bracesreview.com/forums/l...th-update.html

I think it took me almost two weeks after having them first put on for my speech to get better, but that's because I was practicing a lot since I had to visit my friends' graduation soon after I had them on. Two years later, no one knows I have braces or notices anything off about the way I talk. The only time someone finds out I have braces is when they offer me peanuts, almonds, bubble gum, and any other super obvious stuff you know you're not supposed to eat with these on.

All in all, once you get used to them, you won't even realize they are there until an appointment is coming up.

11. Hi everyone,
    I have been wanting to correct my buck teeth for the longest time. The only thing holding me back is how braces will affect my ...
    property management denver

Butternut Ridge Apartments are luxurious and comfortable apartments located in North Olmsted Ohio Come home to a home you deserve Call 877 726 4307

Hi,
    There is always a period of adjustment when braces are installed, no matter what kind they are. Often, the orthodontist and his or her dental hygiene team will discuss this adjustment period in great detail with a patient.

Hi,
    Lingual braces are a great option for those who want straight teeth and a beautiful smile without ... Also your speech may initially be affected with lingual braces.

Hi,
    I am a actress and I want to have straight teeth but I don't want visible braces and I can't have invisalign but I also heard lingual braces hurt your speech and me doing the acting I have to have a clear speech does it affect it.