Feeling great with Linguals

Hi everyone,

I finally got an account and wanted to contribute my two cents. I was deliberating for a long time to get braces before I finally took the plunge 5 weeks ago and got lingual braces on the top and regular Damon braces on the bottom. After reading all the comments I was expecting the worst - it turns out it just isn't that bad.

So this is my message to all who are reading this forum and deciding if they should get braces or not:
    - I wouldn't call any part of my treatment so far "pain" - I would say mild discomfort at most.
    - There has been nothing I couldn't eat - I did choose not to eat some very hard things to avoid breaking a bracket
    - I never used any wax - just didn't feel the need. Nothing poked, cut, irritated at all
    - It took me about 7 days to get used to talking with the linguals - now I hear a slight lisp after speaking constantly for 10-15 minutes (e.g. presentations). But really - who cares?

Another thought to all potential braces wearers: When would you seek help online? If everything's going great or if you're having trouble? While this forum is a really great resource, it's certainly not a representative picture of how life in braces is.

Hope this helps - cheers

Quote Originally Posted by k3182 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I finally got an account and wanted to contribute my two cents. I was deliberating for a long time to get braces before I finally took the plunge 5 weeks ago and got lingual braces on the top and regular Damon braces on the bottom. After reading all the comments I was expecting the worst - it turns out it just isn't that bad.

So this is my message to all who are reading this forum and deciding if they should get braces or not:
    - I wouldn't call any part of my treatment so far "pain" - I would say mild discomfort at most.
    - There has been nothing I couldn't eat - I did choose not to eat some very hard things to avoid breaking a bracket
    - I never used any wax - just didn't feel the need. Nothing poked, cut, irritated at all
    - It took me about 7 days to get used to talking with the linguals - now I hear a slight lisp after speaking constantly for 10-15 minutes (e.g. presentations). But really - who cares?

Another thought to all potential braces wearers: When would you seek help online? If everything's going great or if you're having trouble? While this forum is a really great resource, it's certainly not a representative picture of how life in braces is.

Hope this helps - cheers
    :thumb:

It was pretty much like that for me too.

Hi all,
    Just wanted to write about my experience too. I have had my bottom linguals for 2 months now and my top for a month. I went into it really naively as I had traditional braces when I was younger, and thought it would be similar, so didn't really do any research. I came across this forum after I had got my bottom braces on, and when I read everything people were saying about the top braces affecting your speech, I felt like I'd made a terrible decision and wanted to back out! I'm really self conscious, and people noticing I sound different really wasn't an option for me. If I had read these forums in the first place, I really don't think I would have had the treatment. But now I have the braces, I definitely have no regrets and just want to let people know that it's not always a bad experience.

When I first had my top braces, I did sound different, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'd booked a week off work as I was so worried, and by the time I went back I sounded pretty normal, I think no one could notice except me. After two / three weeks I felt like my speech was totally fine, there is the odd word or time when I'm drunk / tired that I slur a bit, but it's really not obvious. I think everyone adapts to it differently and you won't know until you do it. I do think it helped that I had my bottom braces first, as it gave my tongue time to toughen up, so I didn't have the problem of my tongue being too sore to talk properly when I got my uppers. Also I found singing really does help, as does keeping hydrated etc.

In terms of pain, the bottom brace did cut the back of my tongue loads and at one point on about the second day I could barely eat as it was so painful to swallow. But I think this was because I didn't use any wax at first, thinking that I needed my mouth to get used to the brace, but really I should have used wax when it started hurting, and gradually reduced using it. Eating and cleaning are a bit of a pain, but to be expected with any brace. Also I had a bracket come off last week, so it's lucky my orthodontist is close to where I work.

But overall I'm really happy I got the braces, my major worry was speaking and now that I know that's ok I can put up with everything else!

That's very encouraging KaraR.

I feel many a times a most delayed or thought over decisions are the best decisions in life. And life you, its been the same for me :)

5. Lingual incognito braces are available in Vietnam now. It is a great progress of vietnam orthodontics. Lingual braces help patients feeling confident and happy at the time of treatment.

Last year my sister used Bio Z? Zirconia Discs which were really Excellent mechanical properties and Perfect fitting of all restorations.

K3182,
    I am glad you posted and noted that some (probably the majority) of people have positive experiences with lingual braces. I also have no complaints about my lingual braces. I got them over a year ago. The first day was hard. By the end of the day, my tongue was pretty sore and my teeth hurt. My teeth were sensitive for the first 3 days so I ate soft foods. I was able to give a speech three days after getting the braces and nobody made any comments about my ability to speak (maybe everyone was just being polite). According to my husband, I had a slight lisp for about 2 weeks until my tongue got used to everything. After that I have had no issues. Of course my teeth can be sore for a few days after an adjustment but that's normal with any kind of braces. I never really had a pokey wire, but for heaven's sake call your ortho if you do and get it fixed instead of whining on a forum! These things can happen with any kind of braces.

With linguals, I had the confidence and ability to do lots of things including video interviews and presenting at international conferences (I'm a researcher). It is nice because I look young to begin with, I didn't want to be mistaken for a teenager with traditional braces.

I had two surgeries when I had lingual braces and they did not bother me at all during the surgery or recovery. I hope people will seriously consider linguals if they have a case that fits with linguals!