Smile How likely is it for a gap to reopen?

I do intend to wear my retainer for as long as I can, but based on what other people have said and done, nobody actually sticks with it forever. So I'm just wondering how likely you think it is for an extraction gap to open up again after a few years of wearing a retainer, and if anyone has had this happen to them (or not, because if your gap didn't open up, that's good to know as well).

Do you think it's worth getting a permanent retainer, to make sure the gap stays shut?

If you wear your retainer consistently, no gaps will open.

So does that mean I literally have to wear the retainer forever to keep the gap shut, or is there a period of time? Five years? Ten?

My braces have been off for many years. Unfortunately, I stopped wearing my retainer a few years after having my braces removed and a gap between my two front teeth slowly developed. I recently met with a dentist at a local (NYC) health fair. She informally looked at my teeth and suggested that I come in to be examined further. I may be a candidate for the Spring Hawley Retainer to close he gap, as opposed to wearing (costly) braces again. She told me that the retainer is removable and much less expensive than traditional braces. Once I complete the examination, I will post about my experience.

5. Quote Originally Posted by LCRose View Post
    So I'm just wondering how likely you think it is for an extraction gap to open up again after a few years of wearing a retainer, and if anyone has had this happen to them (or not, because if your gap didn't open up, that's good to know as well).
    Yes, this is exactly what is happening to me now. Haven't been wearing removable retainer since I had braces off, only have a permanent lingual wire affixed to the back of my lower front teeth. Now 9 years later, a couple of minor gaps have opened up among my anterior teeth. This is considered as a orthodontic relapse and I now need to get them fixed again, which will take around a year.

So DO wear your retainers faithfully every night as recommended by your ortho. As long as you want your smile to stay pretty and don't want gaps to open up, I strongly advise you to wear your retainers forever, which is a small price to pay to avoid going through treatment again.