HELP!! It's been 3 days since I get braces on, inner cheek keeps bleeding!

Hi everyone! I just got my damon quantum braces on 3 days ago. The pain is not that much; however, I have this ulcer on my left inner cheek. I'm not sure if it's only caused by the rubbing, because my right inner cheek doesn't hurt and it only has a small ulcer. When my dentist cut the wire of my last bracket on left side, I think it accidentally hit my inner cheek. The skin of the inner cheek is stuck in the braces that I have to pull out my cheek or inflating my cheeks so that it comes off. I thought the wire is too long but when I came to see the nurse on the next day, she said that the length of the wire is fine and that the bracket might be the thing that rubbed the skin, and that's because I still need time to adapt with the braces. My friend gave me Orthosil dental wax and it's such an instant relief. However, when it comes to brushing my teeth, I have to remove the wax and that only makes the skin's stuck again in the braces and bleeding again that I have to pull out my cheek or inflating my cheeks so that it comes off. For now, I can't do anything without dental wax.

I'd like to know if this is just because it's only been 3 days and I have to adapt with the braces or is it because there's something wrong with the braces? Or is it because of the minor cut on the first day (because the right inner cheek is totally fine, it's fine without wax). I'm worried that even if I get use to the braces in weeks but then whenever I remove the wax, it will be stuck again and cause bleeding so that it will never fully heal if it's stuck over and over again.

I really need help. Thank you so much, I appreciate it :)

Last edited by KristelLouisa; 09-19-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    All of us had to deal with this issue. I suggest using wax 24/7 and rinsing your mouth with warm salt water to help with the sores. Yeah I know this sucks, but it will definitely get better!!

Hello, thanks for your answer :)

So I guess it's not because of the poking wire that might need to be cut? Because I'm not sure whether it should be cut or not. The other thing I'd like to know is, would it be okay to use the wax 24/7? Do I have to replace it with the new one or I can just leave it until the sore is fully healed? Because everytime I remove it, it gets stuck again and causes bleeding.

Thanks for the tips, it really is helpful. I'll definitely do what you said!

Blog Entries
    Does your wire go past your bracket a lot? Or just a little bit? It might just be the brackets rubbing against the inside of your mouth. I dealt with a lot of sores the first couple months. I think after a while your mouth gets used to your brackets being there. I would replace your wax after you eat/drink. Though I usually forgot it was in my mouth when I ate and I ended up swallowing the wax! lol Totally safe by the way :-)

I'm not quite sure, I can feel the pretty sharp wire at the end of the braces but I'm not sure if it's suppose to be like that or not. Perhaps about 2mm past the bracket, not really sure though. I do think so, I think it keeps getting better :) Oh, glad to hear that! Wax is really helping :D

Thanks so much for your help, it really means a lot to me.

Blog Entries
    You are SO welcome! I'm glad the wax is helping! Give it a few more weeks and you'll forget you have braces on!

7. Hi KristelLouisa

I too have just had my Damon braces fitted. Today is my fourth day! I've not experienced any problems with the wires rubbing against my cheeks although my orthodontist did supply me with a box of wax and warned I might experience some discomfort from the braces rubbing against my mouth. I have just had a closer check of my wires again and it looks like the end is actually twisted into a round coil so no sharp pokey bits are digging my cheek. Hope this helps. x

Thanks for the support @lightskinnnn38! :D

Hello milkytea, thank for the answer! Oh that sounds good! I'll ask my dentist about this. Thanks again for your answer, it really is helpful! :)

Lots of wax
    50+ ceramic top and bottom as of 2-16-10
    Top Braces off 8/15/12
    Bottom Braces off 9/11/12

Sure! Thanks for the advice :)

Hello, just a quick update from me.

It's been 2 weeks since I got my braces on; the cut was healed and the ulcers were geting better, so I decided to stop using wax that I thought I wouldn't be needing it anymore. However, when I started my days without wax, the ulcers began to appear again because of the rubbing and today, my inner cheeks were bleeding again because the skin is stuck in the wire at some times, then here comes the cut.

Does it mean that there's something wrong with the wire or my mouth just needs more time to get used to the braces and be in normal condition? Do I have to use wax until I get my braces off?

Look forward for answers, thanks so much.

Blog Entries
    No you won't have to use the wax until you get your braces off. The first few months you will be using it A LOT. I would say the first 6 months I was using wax on and off. Now that I'm almost 2 years in braces, I don't think I've used wax the past year.

I totally get it now. After applying gingival gel, the sores are getting better :)
    Thanks so much for the advice, it really is helpful.

Blog Entries
    No problem! I hope you feel better soon :)

Better than wax

the wax can help pretty well.. the only problem is that it can sorta "melt" if the temperature inside your mouth heats up.
    I use Gishy Goo now which is relatively cheap, stays in place and doesn't melt or wear off..

Link

Last edited by Anay10; 10-04-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks so much for the tips! I will definitely check it out!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

I'm going to get my lower arch brace on in a couple hours! I'm just curious, will the pain hurt the same as when I got the upper arch brace on? What about the sore and ulcers?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't got my lowers on yet but I would expect that they will rub just as bad as the uppers, especially if some brackets have the hooks for bands to go on later. I didn't use the wax, instead chose to brave it with just bonjella (teething/ulcer gel) and after just two day, the pain went away and the ulcers are healing well.
    Good luck today! Tomorrow you might be sore though so have your gel on hand.
    Heather. Wife, mother and Braces at 30.