advice on suitability for this treatment

Hi All,

When I was a kid many moons ago, I had traditional braces but, stupidly, failed to wear a retainer and so have lost some of the straightness as the result. I don't think it's a big deal, but I'd be much more confident with something more closely approaching an ideal smile. My dentist (not ortho) suggested I shouldn't worry about it too much, but can go for Invisialign if I'm bothered about it, or veneers for my front teeth (which seems too extreme a measure). There is a gap between my first tooth on the right (just off the front 2), as it's at a slight slant. See pictures attached. I heard about lingual braces for the first time today, when I saw a very good deal by a reputable clinic for treatment. I understand it's suitable for mild-to-moderate conditions. I was wondering if you could enlighten me as to:

1-how severe is my problem on the mild-to-severe spectrum?

2. whether my teeth seem suitable for the treatment (I appreciate that the ortho will give a real assessment of this, but I'd appreciate a preliminary non-medical indication from your experience)?

3. I understand there is a lisp issue--is this an issue with some, or most? How long before it's gone? I'm a trial lawyer (don't hate me, I'm nice really), so being able to get my point across is pretty essential. I might be able to tolerate sounding like someone's punched me in the mouth for a week but probably not much longer.

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Hi,

I can comment on your point 3 - I got my upper lingual braces a month ago and have had very little trouble at all, they're great!

On the lisping issue, I noticed it myself for about a week, however, everyone around me kept telling me that it was no where near as bad as I thought it was. Almost overnight my tongue seemed to adapt and I hardly notice it at all now, and even then its really only when I'm tired. My true test was going to see my parents 2 weeks after having them fitted - they didn't even notice, which I'm taking as a good sign!

As for points 1 and 2, I think you'd really need a dentist/ortho to comment on that so I wont try.

Good luck if your going to go for it, I don't regret it all.

Quote Originally Posted by alex86 View Post
    Hi All,

When I was a kid many moons ago, I had traditional braces but, stupidly, failed to wear a retainer and so have lost some of the straightness as the result. I don't think it's a big deal, but I'd be much more confident with something more closely approaching an ideal smile. My dentist (not ortho) suggested I shouldn't worry about it too much, but can go for Invisialign if I'm bothered about it, or veneers for my front teeth (which seems too extreme a measure). There is a gap between my first tooth on the right (just off the front 2), as it's at a slight slant. See pictures attached. I heard about lingual braces for the first time today, when I saw a very good deal by a reputable clinic for treatment. I understand it's suitable for mild-to-moderate conditions. I was wondering if you could enlighten me as to:

1-how severe is my problem on the mild-to-severe spectrum?

2. whether my teeth seem suitable for the treatment (I appreciate that the ortho will give a real assessment of this, but I'd appreciate a preliminary non-medical indication from your experience)?

3. I understand there is a lisp issue--is this an issue with some, or most? How long before it's gone? I'm a trial lawyer (don't hate me, I'm nice really), so being able to get my point across is pretty essential. I might be able to tolerate sounding like someone's punched me in the mouth for a week but probably not much longer.

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Before i get to the treatment options i would like to see occlusion. Close your teeth in a normal bite and take two pictures, one for the left side and one for the right side. Has the bite changed? Based on what your dentist said, i would assume your bite is class 1 which is normal bite.
    If that lateral is your only concern then what you can do is
    1- regular metalic braces depending on where you live price varies from 3K to 5K. (not worth it in my opinion)
    2- Invisaligh less invasive, better hygiene and more aesthetic
    3- Removable retainer can reposition back your teeth to the original shape. Do not forget that before fixed orthodontic braces it was the only treatment available. So it does work but it takes time. You have to wear them everyday for a longer period of time. Cost $250 $350. You might need to see an orthodontist because the retainer will require adjustments over time as your teeth will shift slowly. Ask an orthodontist for Essix retainers. Its pretty much the same idea as invisalign only produced in a laboratory. Unfortunately sometimes you pay for the name of the product and invisalign dominates the market for now.
    If i was you i would go with the third option.

Good luck and update us
    We cannot despair of humanity, since we ourselves are human beings.
    "Albert Einstein"

My blog Teeth Whitening and Teeth Whitening Toronto Blog