Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Follow us on
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube My Space Blogger

How to speed up the braces process?

I'm in college and got braces a few months ago. There's a really really great study abroad opportunity that starts about a month or two before my braces are due to come off (so there's a little over a year until then), and I'm not sure if it will be available again while I still go to college, so I really want to get my braces off early!

I considered making my appointments closer together, but my orthodontist always lets me know after each appointment how long I should wait for the next one, and these times vary depending on his goals, so I prefer to just do what he says.

Is there anything I can do other than changing appointment times to make this go faster? Or do you think I'd be able to get the braces off a little early and just use a retainer for the finishing touches?

I already asked my orthodontist about whether we can speed up the process (my teeth weren't sore at all, which I took as a sign that we weren't making progress). He said they were definitely moving, but I think he decided to be more aggressive about the treatment because at the next appointment my teeth began to ache a little and they seemed to make more progress, but he didn't mention whether or not that would make my sentence shorter...

Ah, sorry for rambling! Anyway, I'd really appreciate any tips or experiences you might share! :)

Blog Entries
    Nothing you can do but work with your ortho more closely to see if you can get your braces off earlier. He may use more elastics, thicker wires, or double up on power chains... there's no telling what they'll do to help your treatment go faster. Good luck!

Definitely speak with your ortho and tell him your situation and why you want them done sooner.

If he has you wear elastics, make sure you wear them as much as he says and don't skimp since that is a major cause of treatment going slower.

Somewhere I read that holding warm/hottish water in your mouth causes the wires to contract more and put more pressure on your teeth: They are activated by the heat in your mouth anyway, but if it is even warmer they will work harder according to this. So you could try that.

I don't know what your ortho would do to speed up the process because it is a process of waiting for the teeth to move the way he/she wants. I do know that if you want great results - DO everything you are told - this will allow your treatment to stay on track. My best to you and I hope you are able to go study abroad - what a wonderful experience!

Another thing you may consider - since you'll be at the end of your treatment, you may want to see if you can find an orthodontist in the area so that in case something should happen, you can go to them - then when you return - you may be ready to have them taken off. Only your ortho can decide - but here are some ideas for you.
    50+ ceramic top and bottom as of 2-16-10
    Top Braces off 8/15/12
    Bottom Braces off 9/11/12

Phoenix, AZ. Los Angeles, CA. Las Vegas, NV. and Houston, TX.
    Blog Entries
    I would say that wearing your elastics (when you get them) as much as your Ortho says, will help speed things up. Also, I personally would change my appointments quite often and make them earlier than I was scheduled to and that seemed to help too. Just moving my appointment up a week here and there added up :).

Wow, I thought I'd only get one or two replies, haha. Thanks very much for all the help. :)

Timing the appointments is a no-go for me, partially because I trust my ortho to give me the best date he can, and partially because, after leaving for college, his office is 4.5 hours away (and I trust him way too much to switch). This creates problems. But we've been lucky enough that my school always has a break right when he wants to make the next appointment, so I don't want to push the date forward when it works so well.

The warm water idea is very interesting. I think I might try that! And I hadn't considered checking for orthodontists in the area. Do you think I could just switch entirely so that the ortho in the area could take them off? Even without the study abroad incentive, I'm pretty eager to get them off.

When I get elastics, I will definitely make sure to wear them right and change them often! And I'll continue trying to do everything the orthodontist says.

Quick update: I did tell my orthodontist about the study abroad yesterday, and he put in thicker wires and a power chain. I actually ended up seeing him again that same day because my gap closed in just a few hours, so we started on the next step instead of waiting a month! That was a leap of progress, certainly, haha.

Where are you going, on your study abroad year? Perhaps there's someone here from that country who can recommend an ortho to take your braces off!

But I think taking braces off is relatively straightforward, so anyone should be able to do it - what is tricky is that the last few months/weeks in braces are all about fine-tuning what you will be left with and getting it as right as it can be, before they come off. My ortho was doing things like putting small kinks in specific wires those last few weeks. They are only small changes but the tweaks make all the difference.

So I think it's not just about an ortho abroad taking the braces off. It is about having someone who can do all that final stuff. Ideally, it would be your ortho really so I think doing it as fast as possible is the way forwards.

Oh, yeah, if I can, I definitely do want them taken off back here. I'm not exactly fond of the idea of traveling with my braces still on, haha.

Right, good idea listing the area! I'll be in Galway, Ireland!

9. Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Somewhere I read that holding warm/hottish water in your mouth causes the wires to contract more and put more pressure on your teeth: They are activated by the heat in your mouth anyway, but if it is even warmer they will work harder according to this. So you could try that.
    Doesn't sound right. Heat would make wires expand while cold water would make them contract.

If you are extremely curious as to what has any chance of shortening the time, going a week sooner would be the best bet depending on how ready your teeth are.

If you would like to know how much your wires would shorten by holding ice cold water in your mouth, you will need to know exactly what the wires are made of and the value of the Young's Modulus for that specific metal. A little research and you can find out by exactly what length the wires will contract at a given temperature.

edit-I am not a certified ortho and cannot comment on how well this method would work or if it would be better to use warm water although common sense tells me having the wires contract may have more of an advantage to your teeth moving over having them expand. Perhaps try both methods, you really have nothing to lose other than a few cents on your water/electricity bill!
    Last edited by PrioritiesComeFirst; 10-31-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks for more advice. :) PrioritiesComeFirst, you make a good point about hot vs. cold water. I'll try to do a little research on it, I guess.

I know no one cares, but I had to share the news, haha. :)

I was talking to my orthodontist last week and apparently, my braces are due to come off a lot sooner than he expected! Now that my bottom teeth are almost straight, my bite is looking a whole lot better, so I should only have braces on for another 6 months (about half the time he initially predicted). I am definitely going to be free to study abroad! :D

Re hot/cold water: It is definitely hot/warm water which causes the wires to tighten. That is why they work when put on your teeth - because your warm mouth temperature activates them.

See question here: Do you know anything about heat activated braces wires? - Yahoo! Answers

And here: American Orthodontics | Wire | Heat Activated

" transitions to its active state at 35˚ C"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LCRose View Post
    I know no one cares, but I had to share the news, haha. :)

I was talking to my orthodontist last week and apparently, my braces are due to come off a lot sooner than he expected! Now that my bottom teeth are almost straight, my bite is looking a whole lot better, so I should only have braces on for another 6 months (about half the time he initially predicted). I am definitely going to be free to study abroad! :D
    Congrats!!!