1. Braces coming off - not sure if I'm happy with them :/

I was just told that I'm getting my braces off in about two weeks (yay!), but there are a couple of things I'm not sure about.
    1. My mid-line is quite misaligned still, but my ortho said that he can't do anything about it because of the odd sizes of my teeth - is this definitely true in some cases?
    2. I feel like there's a bit too much of a gap between my two front teeth - it's very small and I'm probably just exaggerating, but it bugs me. I stupidly didn't mention it to him today, do you think I should say something? When I mentioned that I felt like there were some gaps in the bottom teeth he just said rather defensively "they're closed".

I'm really excited to get them off, but nervous that I'm not going to be 100% happy with the results.

2012-11-19 14.54.23.jpg

Phoenix, AZ. Los Angeles, CA. Las Vegas, NV. and Houston, TX.
    Blog Entries
    Well I agree with you and I disagree with you.

1) Your midline. It is most definitely off by several millimeters. I have never heard an orthodontist use tooth shape as an excuse for such an 'off' midline. If you look at your bite, it too appears off which, to me, means that your arch wasn't all the way done on the lowers. Worse case scenario, he/she should have had you in midline elastics to correct this before now. I, personally, was in those cross elastics for nearly a month to move mine over- and it was only off slightly. Hmm. I get mine off in 2 days and although they aren't perfect- my midline and bite have been greatly improved.

This photo was taken 6 months ago when my midline and bite were still off. The next photo was taken just now. I had to move over every upper tooth every 2 weeks to align it, along with wearing my cross-anterior elastic configuration the last 4 weeks. I wrote it all in detail here with photos if you're interested. http://www.bracesreview.com/forums/b...month-14-2668/

mid.jpgPicture 20.jpg

You can see how much better my upper and lower teeth fit together now, as opposed to how they were a few months ago. Also, you can see how aligned my uppers and lowers are. I'm wondering if you just might need another few months? I really can't tell but I wish I was an ortho sometimes LOL!

2) Your gap. I don't see a gap in your front Central Incisors. I see space below but that part is really unavoidable unless you have IPR done between them to allow them to touch perfectly. The gum part would be where the gap would be, and yours is closed.

Perhaps someone else can add or correct me on this, Just my 02 cents.
    Last edited by BlondeAddiction; 11-19-2012 at 03:26 AM.

3. Hmm, now I'm starting to worry about my midline....(yours looks perfect by the way!) All he said was that my bite was perfect and that that's just how it is sometimes, and that no one is even going to notice it. Is an aligned midline something purely cosmetic or does it affect function? I guess if there's no actual functional problem from having an 'off' midline then I'm fine with it, I just don't wan't to go to my dentist and find out that I'm now biting wrong because of it.
    I agree about my two front teeth, I think it's just that I don't really like the general shape of my teeth - oh well, what can I do? At least they're straight now!

The first person I went to about getting braces told me that I'd need to have teeth pulled out on the bottom, so I'm also just glad I've been able to avoid that :D

Blog Entries
    I can see what your talking about with your upper central incisors, but I don't think that's a gap but more based on your tooth shape. When you floss between those teeth is it tight?

My midline looked EXACTLY like yours before I had braces. My ortho lined my midline up with Class II elastics. When I first had my pre-braces consultation with my ortho, he said he wouldn't be able to give me a perfect midline without extracting teeth. But as months went on he was able to do it and I'm so happy with the results! Check out my blog post about it here: Wired Journey: Week 76 - Adjustment #10

Maybe tooth size and shape DOES have an effect on your midline, but that's a pretty far off midline to try not to fix. I would try to talk to him about it again or maybe get a 2nd opinion. Good luck!

5. When I floss between the upper central incisors it's definitely not tight, quite loose actually - straight afterwards you can see a very small gap all the way up to the gum but I think saliva kind of 'fills it in' so it's usually less noticeable. In the past few days though, that hasn't actually been the thing that's bothered me most! Now it seems like the gap between my lower central incisors has become much wider, and I'm really unhappy with it. Could this have anything to do with the fact that I was told to only wear my elastics at night now? (I wear bears from my lower second molars to my upper canines).
    Also when I use a little pick to get food out, I can kind of make the gap bigger and smaller by pushing the central incisor from either side...if that makes any sense.

I think I'm definitely going to make another appointment to talk about these things, because I know I'll regret it if I don't say anything. I'm meant to be getting them off in exactly two weeks :/
    Here's a current photo of the gap: 2012-11-22 14.59.01.jpg
    Thank you both for your help! I'll post an update on what he says...

6. Quick update: Had my deband appointment today and before they started I told them that I was not happy with the gap on the bottom. My ortho wasn't there, but a different one had a look and agreed that I shouldn't get them off yet, but he said it was difficult to know how to fix it because of the shapes of my central incisors. Pretty much I now have to wait till December 17th to have an appointment with my actual ortho so he can decide what to do.....
    Even though I'll now have them on for an extra month or two, I think it's worth it because I know I would have been really unhappy otherwise :)

7. sorry double post, no idea how to delete this :P
    Last edited by ellie14; 12-06-2012 at 05:50 AM.