Is my orthodontist correct? (pics included)

I went to the ortho today for the first time to talk to him about my underbite. I have a missing my right lateral incisor and says that that is the cause of the underbite. He said that the missing tooth causes an narrow upper arch. He says that he will fix the underbite (crossbite) by creating a space where the incisor should be, which he says will expand the upper arch and fix the bite. He said it didn't require surgery but I'm a little weary of that. Because I believe that if he was correct, then my lower lip wouldn't protrude when I smile. Who's right? And could this possible be fixed with creating a space plus elastics added on? Could the elastics "pull back" my lower jaw and "push forward" my upper jaw?

Thanks.

Photo Album - Imgur

of course you should get opinions from different orthodontists, but I think braces would be able to fix the underbite. I've seen worse bites that came out perfect (even without surgery). elastics are very powerful.
    It makes sense that a missing tooth would make the arch smaller, but I didnt know it could cause an underbite like that. if you do choose to expand your arch, would you be getting an implant for the lateral? when I first looked at the pictures I actually didnt even notice it was missing until I looked closely, but I dont know how it appears in real life.
    anyway, the only thing I can stress is get as many professional opinions as you can!

of course you should get opinions from different orthodontists, but I think braces would be able to fix the underbite. I've seen worse bites that came out perfect (even without surgery). elastics are very powerful.
    It makes sense that a missing tooth would make the arch smaller, but I didnt know it could cause an underbite like that. if you do choose to expand your arch, would you be getting an implant for the lateral? when I first looked at the pictures I actually didnt even notice it was missing until I looked closely, but I dont know how it appears in real life.
    anyway, the only thing I can stress is get as many professional opinions as you can!

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. It looks really uneven in real life....you can definitely tell that I have more teeth on one side of my mouth. The lateral implant should fix this issue, it'll just take a long time to fix. I'm pumped to get these braces on even if I am college haha