1. Does wearing invisalign make your teeth yellow?

The teeth that I have attachments are more yellow than rest of my teeth. Is this common?

My teeth seem to be going more yellow, but I've seen quite a few posts where people's teeth are getting whiter because of all the brushing they're now doing! Maybe it has something to do with the attachments, I don't know. I did used to use Crest Whitestrips whenever my teeth started looking a bit dingy, and now I haven't really don't that at all - I've used one strip in 6 months as I can't figure out the timing and they have to fit around the attachments which is a pain. I figure that's why my teeth are not looking sparkly these days!

Maybe your ortho used a slightly yellower color of attachment? I believe the color is variable so they can try to match the color of your teeth - maybe he/she accidentally went a bit darker and now that's making the rest of your tooth look the same color?
    • Started Invisalign July 11, 2012
    • Round 1: 18 attachments (8U + 10L). Stopped at U 20/26 + L 20/23.
    • Round 2 (refinement #1): 16 attachments on 12 teeth (9U + 7L). Stopped at 13/15.
    • Completed treatment 11/5/13. Vivera retainers for upper, bonded lingual wire for lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by soosoo22 View Post
    My teeth seem to be going more yellow, but I've seen quite a few posts where people's teeth are getting whiter because of all the brushing they're now doing! Maybe it has something to do with the attachments, I don't know. I did used to use Crest Whitestrips whenever my teeth started looking a bit dingy, and now I haven't really don't that at all - I've used one strip in 6 months as I can't figure out the timing and they have to fit around the attachments which is a pain. I figure that's why my teeth are not looking sparkly these days!

Maybe your ortho used a slightly yellower color of attachment? I believe the color is variable so they can try to match the color of your teeth - maybe he/she accidentally went a bit darker and now that's making the rest of your tooth look the same color?
    Its possible that they used a darker color for your attatchments, but if its your teeth that are yellow just bleach them!

Here is the one I use, its way cheaper than getting it from your dentist and you can put it right in your trays.
    DAYWHITE ACP | 9.5% Tooth whitening Gels 8pk at Smilox.com
    Last edited by mandreyka; 01-06-2013 at 11:07 AM.

4. I'm convinced that after quite some time, the attachment materiel stains. Maybe not though. How long have you had your attachments?

I am adamant on keeping my teeth white (well before Invisalign treatment too), however after about seven months I noticed that the teeth which had attachments were somewhat yellow-tinted. A year into my treatment, I had all my attachments removed (half assed I must say) and now I can't seem to get those teeth bright white again. It's pretty frustrating. I'll be getting more attachments for my refinement on Tuesday and this will be a question for my doctor.

5. I've had my attachments for 1 month and they're definitely more yellow.

I drink coffee every day but I always brush them just after :(

Blog Entries
    I've read that some mouthwashes coat your enamel with a protective substance of some sort. When I first started invisalign, I noticed my teeth were getting whiter, and then over time, they seemed to go a bit yellow again. Since switching mouthwash, I believe they are going whiter again.

If course all of this is based on casual observation, in funky and variable bathroom lighting, so I could be imagining it all too...
    My progress blog: http://www.bracesreview.com/forums/blogs/w1ngz/
    Initial round Oct 2 2012-June 25 2013, 19 sets.
    Refinements Jul 16 2013, number 7 of 10L 13U

If you see spam, take a moment to flag it so it can be removed, by clicking the triangle -!- below a post.

Quote Originally Posted by lans View Post
    The teeth that I have attachments are more yellow than rest of my teeth. Is this common?
    I had this issue with one of my front teeth that has the "G4" attachments (aka two on one tooth like this). When I went for my cleaning my dentist told me that I wasn't getting my brush in between the two, so it was causing biofilm (aka plaque) to build up. She gave me a tufted brush to get in between the attachments, and told me that to be careful -if I let that plaque build up again it's possible it will permanently discolor that tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by lmar2 View Post
    I had this issue with one of my front teeth that has the "G4" attachments (aka two on one tooth like this). When I went for my cleaning my dentist told me that I wasn't getting my brush in between the two, so it was causing biofilm (aka plaque) to build up. She gave me a tufted brush to get in between the attachments, and told me that to be careful -if I let that plaque build up again it's possible it will permanently discolor that tooth.
    Good to know... I have two teeth with two attachments on them. I will have to make sure I'm brushing those teeth extremely well!
    Finished Invisalign Treatment 12/12/13!
    Bonded Retainer on Top, Vivera Retainers on top and bottom, full time for 6 months
    Refinement: 9/10U, 5/5L, 4 attachments on 3 teeth - started 9/10/2013
    Initial Treatment: 30 Upper, 29 Lower, 9 attachments on 8 teeth - 6/22/2012 - 8/22/2013

Read My Blog: Invisalign ~ Braces Gone Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by lmar2 View Post
    Good to know... I have two teeth with two attachments on them. I will have to make sure I'm brushing those teeth extremely well!
    Finished Invisalign Treatment 12/12/13!
    Bonded Retainer on Top, Vivera Retainers on top and bottom, full time for 6 months
    Refinement: 9/10U, 5/5L, 4 attachments on 3 teeth - started 9/10/2013
    Initial Treatment: 30 Upper, 29 Lower, 9 attachments on 8 teeth - 6/22/2012 - 8/22/2013

Read My Blog: Invisalign ~ Braces Gone Wireless

On my two upper canines that have attachments there is glue all over their front. I just hope that my teeth are protected well by the glue. In my case I have not noticed that these teeth are particularly difficult to clean in between and around attachments. And I think that the glue has turned darker and that generally my teeth are darker as they sit in the same saliva under the trays.
    Today I saw my naked teeth in bright daylight in the rear mirror of my car for the first time since starting invisalign. They looked awful!!!!!!!!!! Is it because I am so used seeing them with trays only or because they need more frequent polishing with invisalign?

Currently on 50/68 U and L - 8 U and 4 L attachments; No planned IPR! No planned change of attachments! Currently again two elastics.

11. Here is a little twist on this question. Does wearing invisaling make your teeth WEAKER? I have this weird feeling that the ends of my teeth are becoming thinner and possibly brittle? Could that be?

12. Wearing traditional braces will definitely make teeth yellow since it becomes difficult to brush teeth properly. One can go for invisible braces.

13. Quote Originally Posted by paulmerc View Post
    Here is a little twist on this question. Does wearing invisaling make your teeth WEAKER? I have this weird feeling that the ends of my teeth are becoming thinner and possibly brittle? Could that be?
    I feel the same thing, I dont think the tooth is weaker just that the ends get rough and chalky feeling.

I think this is because our teeth never grind against each outher like the did before having trays in

Quote Originally Posted by paulmerc View Post
    Here is a little twist on this question. Does wearing invisaling make your teeth WEAKER? I have this weird feeling that the ends of my teeth are becoming thinner and possibly brittle? Could that be?
    Yes - as they do not bathe in new saliva all the time. One primary cause of tooth erosion (enamel loss) is lack of saliva. That is exactly the status we produce with Invisalign around our teeth.

Another cause that promotes enamel loss is too much brushing and too soon after meals (especially acid stuff) - that is another thing one does more regularly with invisalign treatment going on.

I try to act against it as much as possible (still learning what works best): 1) waiting between meal and cleaning, 2) rinsing with plenty of water, 3) only cleaning teeth twice a day (I also eat only two meals a day), 4) using sensodyne toothpaste with lower abrasion factor, 5) using anti-erosion mouthwash, 6) minimizing contact tooth contact with acid stuff, 7) brushing and flossing as softly as possible

But I am paranoid anyways because I had very little enamel initially and had very very sensitive teeth at the beginning of my invisalign treatment. At the same time I am so meticulous with my cleaning > hard to reconcile.

Good luck with your teeth!

Currently on 50/68 U and L - 8 U and 4 L attachments; No planned IPR! No planned change of attachments! Currently again two elastics.

My teeth are most definitely whiter since Invisalign even with 15 attachments -- I think the brushing and flossing has made my teeth look so much better.

My ortho sells over-night whitener gel to be used with Invisaligns -- it's $40 for a six month supply -- you might see if your ortho has this. I bought some a while back, but haven't used it because I keep forgetting . . . I will make a note to myself to try it and report back.

16. I had 17 attachments during regular treatment (and less than that during each of the 3 refinement series) and I have NOT noticed any change in the colour of my teeth. All are as white a were before treatment.

Using Whitestrips during treatment with attachments is not recommended - as the areas around the attachments may whiten, but underneath will not - so when the attachements come off there may be a colour difference - 'yellow' spots.

my teeth are definitely more yellow even though I have been taking better care of my teeth. Not sure of the cause. It is a bit annoying but I know once this is all done i can get it all fixed up.
    Year and a half treatment time
    39/39 U- 10 attachments
    22/22 L- 7 attachments

Refinements
    7/15 U- 10 attachments
    7/11 L- 9 attachments

19 attachments all up now. Not fun!

Blog Entries
    Try changing up your toothpaste and mouthwash. I seemed to be going very slightly yellow too, but since changing brands things are improving again.

I did a little research on it and it seems that some products will leave a 'coating' on your teeth to protect them, but it depends on saliva to work properly. Without it, the coating can yellow over time.
    My progress blog: http://www.bracesreview.com/forums/blogs/w1ngz/
    Initial round Oct 2 2012-June 25 2013, 19 sets.
    Refinements Jul 16 2013, number 7 of 10L 13U

If you see spam, take a moment to flag it so it can be removed, by clicking the triangle -!- below a post.