Braces and smiling

So I'm on day 5 with braces! Lots of things to get adjusted to....

Such as smiling. My goodness, how do you guys smile? I just can't smile....seriously, I think I'll scare someone off if I start smiling, but when other people with braces(such as my sis who has metal braces) smile...they look fine!! I have the damon braces...clear on top, metal on bottom. I also got 4 teeth extracted. My teeth didn't look that bad, but now with braces...you can say they look bad! My two front teeth look longer now, and it looks as if I'm a vampire/rabbit....still can't decide. ANNND also, I have a slight lisp now. I can't smile, I can't talk.....I just have a serious face on at all times now, haha. ALso I had 4 teeth extracted...so from the side, I guess I look like an old lady. And when I do decide to smile, I smile big...because it looks weird if I smile with my lips closed...but after the smile ends, I have to adjust my lips in order to close! That just looks ODD.

Also with the ceramic braces....my ortho said that the brackets are bigger, so they push your lips outward.....it's so true! Do any of you have this problem? teeh outish and lips are pushed outwards....

Anyway, classes start tomorrow. First day for people to see me with braces on. Wish me luck! I'd love to hear everyone's experience when they first got braces on.

photo.jpg

And this is a pic...I know it doesn't look that bad, but it just feels ehhh ughh alkdljgklhfgj.

You look just fine. You will get used to the new you. Give it time and always remember why you are having braces in the first place.

yes!

Yes i also had the same problem with my upper lips mostly! But only on the first week as I can remember. I'm also wearing damon clear on top, Damon Q on the botton. Q's are smaller, and didn't cause me any problems. I have been wearing since 3 months, and don't worry, you will just get used to the fact of wearing braces. Lips problem disappear over time!. Smile !

5. Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FeedMeShoes View Post
    So I'm on day 5 with braces! Lots of things to get adjusted to....

Such as smiling. My goodness, how do you guys smile? I just can't smile....seriously, I think I'll scare someone off if I start smiling, but when other people with braces(such as my sis who has metal braces) smile...they look fine!! I have the damon braces...clear on top, metal on bottom. I also got 4 teeth extracted. My teeth didn't look that bad, but now with braces...you can say they look bad! My two front teeth look longer now, and it looks as if I'm a vampire/rabbit....still can't decide. ANNND also, I have a slight lisp now. I can't smile, I can't talk.....I just have a serious face on at all times now, haha. ALso I had 4 teeth extracted...so from the side, I guess I look like an old lady. And when I do decide to smile, I smile big...because it looks weird if I smile with my lips closed...but after the smile ends, I have to adjust my lips in order to close! That just looks ODD.

Also with the ceramic braces....my ortho said that the brackets are bigger, so they push your lips outward.....it's so true! Do any of you have this problem? teeh outish and lips are pushed outwards....

Anyway, classes start tomorrow. First day for people to see me with braces on. Wish me luck! I'd love to hear everyone's experience when they first got braces on.
    Oh go ahead and smile. I'm 56 years old; I just got braces 3 weeks ago. I smile all the time. I got my wisdoms pulled also. And yes, my lips stick out.
    You'll get used to it in time. My 2nd week was bad in terms of pressure. Now they're starting to hurt a little bit. But I still smile and lisp at work.

Good luck.