Overnight-appliances for kids are "old-fashioned"? - sorry for OT

Hello everyone,
    I am sorry to be OT but overnight-appliances do not really fit in the "traditional braces" section either and here I feel much more at home.

On Friday we went to my Invisalign-ortho (happy with him in my case) with my almost 9 yr. old daughter.

There is not enough space in her upper jaw and the two top front-teeth started to overlap and protrude in the course of the last year.

He said that she should have logopedic treatment as her tongue is not in a normal position and tends to push top front teeth out. Great thought, that is already a good starting point.

He said that overnight-appliances were a thing of the past and after she would have more permantent teeth (in at least 6 months) he wants to start traditional fixed braces for about 2 years followed by fixed retainers, upper and lower for about 6 yrs! :-----(

At the school doctor's visit I got the message that she already should have started orthodontic treatment. A few of her classmates have overnight-appliances.

I would not like to wast any more time and would also love to spare my daughter fixed wire braces/Invisalign teen - when older (at least for such a long time!)

Are overnight-appliances really a thing of the past? - that is (almost) useless at least in her case? Are they still done in the Americas (over here in Europe many kids have them). Wouldn't they work for my daughter?

Dr Tam????

Thank you in advance for your replies!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Currently on 50/68 U and L - 8 U and 4 L attachments; No planned IPR! No planned change of attachments! Currently again two elastics.

Im not an expert in this area at all. But I know that from what ive heard and from personal experience having an overnight appliance is not likely to fix things in the long run. She is likely to need braces anyway especially with the tongue problem. My guess is that having an overnight appliance now may just shorten the length of time in braces but not stop her from needing them all together. (that was more the case with myself). I would go to another ortho and get a second opinion. However here in Australia they are old fashioned. I would definitely get a second opinion on getting braces at age 11 because the mouth is still moving a lot till around.. i think it was 15ish. And you wouldnt want a relapse!
    Year and a half treatment time
    39/39 U- 10 attachments
    22/22 L- 7 attachments

Refinements
    7/15 U- 10 attachments
    7/11 L- 9 attachments

19 attachments all up now. Not fun!

hmm, I wouldn't stress out too much, remember the more you stress or make it seem like a negative experience, the more she will perceive it to be one as well. My two nephews both went through braces at young ages, in my personal opinion this has been a huge benefit for them. They get to go through their highschool years with confidence and a great smile and consider their old teeth a thing of the past.

My oldest nephew began his when he was eleven. He only had them for a year, and then he got a fixed retainer. As far as I understand fixed retainers are for life, but I don't think they are so bad personally. People who have them report that they forget they are even there and get used to them really fast. This nephew used to get teased a lot at school pre-braces, and now he absolutely loves his smile and is proud of it, so I think it was great for him.

My other nephew began his braces around the same age, 11 I believe, however he is still in them three years later. I think the plan for him is to have a permanent retainer as well, he doesn't seem bothered by that.

By fixed retainer, do you mean the permanent retainer that they bond to the back of the teeth? I don't think its that traumatic if so.

My son had a tooth knocked out by a classmate last year, and it really annoyed me. The dentist had said it was really important if that tooth got loose not to wiggle it because his tooth beside it needed that tooth in place or it would come in crooked... two days later someone threw ice at his face and knocked out that tooth, ugh, so the tooth beside came in at an angle and the big tooth under that one has yet to come in and his teeth around it all shifted and well... it looks like he will probably need braces. He got scared about it, but I just told him its no big deal if he needs them. Best thing we can do as parents is minimize their fears, changing their own perspective on it will make it a less traumatic experience for them.

Refinement 1: 1/30
    Round one complete
    64 of 67 U
    20 of 20 L
    4 metal buttons, 19 attachments, 4 elastics, 6 brackets...

Blog Entries
    My nephew, almost 9, has an overnight appliance, some kind of reverse headgear, with elastics to pull his upper jaw forward, since he is developing a severe underbite. He also has a permanent upper appliance and a removable lower one that interact together, to guide his bite into the correct position. Him and I shared a few bonding moments as we both went off together to share orthodontist stories and take apart and reassemble our mouths at mealtimes during the holidays lol
    My progress blog: http://www.bracesreview.com/forums/blogs/w1ngz/
    Initial round Oct 2 2012-June 25 2013, 19 sets.
    Refinements Jul 16 2013, number 7 of 10L 13U

If you see spam, take a moment to flag it so it can be removed, by clicking the triangle -!- below a post.

Blog Entries
    My son had a hyrax installed to expand his palate. When I was a kid, I had the same thing, but it was removable. Needless to say, I was not very compliant with it because I'd take it out and forget to put it back in. With the fixed hyrax, he can't take it out at all and he only had to wear it for 5 months. I had to wear mine for a year before they put braces on my teeth.

Wearing fixed retainers for 6 years before braces sounds like an awful long time. Can you get a second opinion?
    Invisalign Start Date: 1-17-2013

Initial round of treatment: 24 U&L, 14 attachments
    Refinements 1/28/14: 22 U&L, 16 attachments, 3 metal buttons, 5 elastics

Lower retainer 12/23/14, circumferential elastics
    Upper retainer 1/14/15

Blog Entries
    Are you saying the schools are telling people they have to get their children braces? I don't know anything about headgear but I would never let someone pressure me into something like that.
    Millenia

20/20 Upper
    18/18 Lower

Refinements
    26/26 Upper
    15/15 Lower

Started Invisalign 10/1/2012
    Finished on 3/10/2014

wow..school doctors telling a child they should get their teeth sorted? i no for sure that wouldnt happen in the uk-simply because kiddies minds are delicate and its not the docs place to say. the school docs and nurses here just assess a childs growth, development and general health and wellbeing..most people at 9 have crowded teeth etc..why dont you wait until they all come out fully then get a range of opinions from different orthos...6 years seem ages!!! and majority of braces cases take about 2/3 years?

Hi Ruzz, I have just seen your replies. I agree. I also see these school doctors' messages as a huge interference that is not appropriate. On the other hand I see the point of all these programs. My son (in kindergarten) was taken to a dentist (I had agreed) and got a "report" about his teethes' health. Some parents do not care (are not in a position to care) for their kids' teeth and then I think that it has positive effects. For my daughter I had got the report that stated that she should get orthodontic treatment. One could say that it's none of the school's business but in my case it had the positive effect that I was reminded to hurry up.

BTW, the overnight appliance has worked wonders so far (it was useful as my daughter is still growing - she just turned 10) - she'll probably need a retainer to preserve this widening of her upper jaw and let's see, when she'll get another overnight appliance? or retainer? or fixed braces? - and when.

Currently on 50/68 U and L - 8 U and 4 L attachments; No planned IPR! No planned change of attachments! Currently again two elastics.

Interesting debate RE should schools recommend braces. I see both sides... however, I kind of wish my own school had recommended that to my parents! My parents didn't see teeth as a priority, hence I end up an adult in her 30s who had hidden her smile all her life, and is now having to endure the world of having braces as an adult... how i wish wish wish I had done this as a child or teen!

Some parents can't afford to pay for their childrens teeth, I get that, but some parents I think DO need that reminder, because it is a wonderful gift to a child to straighten their teeth.

Refinement 1: 1/30
    Round one complete
    64 of 67 U
    20 of 20 L
    4 metal buttons, 19 attachments, 4 elastics, 6 brackets...

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Interesting debate RE should schools recommend braces. I see both sides... however, I kind of wish my own school had recommended that to my parents! My parents didn't see teeth as a priority, hence I end up an adult in her 30s who had hidden her smile all her life, and is now having to endure the world of having braces as an adult... how i wish wish wish I had done this as a child or teen!

Some parents can't afford to pay for their childrens teeth, I get that, but some parents I think DO need that reminder, because it is a wonderful gift to a child to straighten their teeth.
    I totally agree with your sentiments Random, I wish my school told my parents too... but anyway here I am nearing 30 paying for my own treatment...