Cool From Los Angeles--27 with braces!

Hello! My name is Jessica and I'm 27 years old. So...I just got braces a few days ago. I had wanted braces since I was a teen, but my mom could never afford to take us to the dentist. I started the process of taking better care of my teeth a few years ago, and have been wanting braces but as a single female in Las Vegas (just moved to Los Angeles a month ago), I wasn't really anxious to get them on!

I went to see a peridontist a few weeks ago to talk to him about getting my gums contoured (my biggest complaint is that my gum line/teeth are asymmetrical) and he suggested I see an orthodontist to align my teeth on the bottom because I also need an implant there.

One week later, I was at the orthodontist. The week after that, braces were on. Ceramic on top and metal on the bottom. I look like I have a gangsta grill on the bottom.

The orthodontist told me it would take a year to 18 months--A WHOLE YEAR. I don't want them for a year. I just started dating out here in LA, and I went on a date with a spine surgeon last weekend. Do you really think he's going to want to go out with me now? How am I going to kiss? What am I thinking?? I can't even eat food properly!!!!<<those were all the thoughts that were going through my mind.

Anyway, so what I really hope to accomplish is to have symmetry, with all my teeth the same length. I would also like to straighten out the one crooked molar I have. My orthodontist also recommended pulling the molars outwards to have more teeth visible when I smile, which I would like. And then he'd like to straighten the bottom molars out so that a dental implant can be placed. I don't really care much about that, as I am paying cash for everything and I'm not looking forward to paying for a dental implant.

ANYWAY! I started a photo album, and am excited to check out everyone else's progress, and get to know everyone a little bit better. :-)

2. Welcome to the club! I'm in the same boat with an 18 month estimate. I'm also 30, so I DEFINITELY understand the self-consciousness.

I'm a little nervous about the prospect of dating with braces too, but I've told myself that if a guy would really not be interested in me because I'm doing something to take care of my smile, he's probably not a guy I'd want to date. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your guy works in medicine, so I imagine he'll be pretty understanding.

3. welcome!!! I had braces as a teenager so my first consultation said just a 5-9 mnoth time frame. Yay for that. I have another consultation on Monday forthe 6 month simle program. It's through an orthodontist so I wouldnt' consider it unless it was. Welcome to the boards. :)

4. Hi Stonnefox,

I am new to this board and will be new to braces next week. I am 28 years old and like you, have been wanting braces for a while but was always too afraid to get them because I felt I was too old for them. I'm very self concious about my smile though so I finally just decided to go through with it. Luck you, you only have to wear them for a year, i was told 2 years. Anyway, it's comforting to have people out there who you can relate to and share experiences.

Yeap! 28 here, married and getting braces again for the second time. First time was in high school and I used to have an under bite. Well, I still have the Jay Leno jaw and I am still self conscious about it. My current Ortho is AMAZING! He actually invented the 24k gold brackets- Dr. Duryea. He said my my first Ortho did a good job at "masking" my underbite. Back then, jaw surgery was not an option for me financially. Now that I am an adult and have a job, I decided to pursue the surgery. Got my spacers yesterday and getting braces next Tuesday 3.26.2013. My husband thinks I don't need it and he NEVER even notice it but I just want a great smile and perfect bite. Is that too much to ask? :) Good luck to all of us.

Hi there, congrats on getting your braces :)

I got mine only yesterday and...a few hours afterwards...I started questioning if I'd done the right thing! Mainly because they were extremely uncomfortable; however, things are getting better and I'm a day closer to the smile I've always dreamed of having. Next I must focus on learning to chew gracefully.

I've told myself this is the best investment ever and I'll never regret it.

I agree - you're very lucky that your ortho said you only need to have them on for 1 year. I've been told it could take up to 24 months for my teeth to straighten out. I have a baby, and the thought of my little one being nearly 3 when I get them sounds soooo far away!

Anyway...it's still early days and I'm still self-conscious, being an adult with braces, but it's for a good cause.

I'll have to start taking pics to chronicle my progress :)

P.S. Any tips on successful eating? I'm struggling with eating anything other than soups! I'm starving ;-)

7. Hi! I just got braces last month and I'll 25 in a little over a month. I was extremely self conscious the first couple of weeks but now, they've kind of grown on me, and so far, have not hindered my dating life. I too thought after the first day or so...OMG what did I just do and how will I be able to kiss, lol but trust me, it does get better.

Eating will be a challenge for at least a week. For me, it was about two weeks. I have bite blocks in the back of my teeth that prevent me from biting all the way down. So that combined with soreness from the braces meant that I survived off soup, smoothies and shakes. I eventually got real tired of not being the pig I wanted to be so I started experimenting with thick, soft french fries. After about 2 weeks and a couple of days, I was eating pretty much what I wanted. Well not the no-no's. You get used to the new way you learn to chew!

8. Hi Jessica welcome to aboard,glad to have with this community,

RedLipstick Guest
    Hi Jessica! Congratulations on getting your braces. Good luck!

10. Hi There i live in Miami And i've been wearing braces for 10 days now .. went on a date the other day and it was AMAZING !! my only concern was the food but i got it under control Tips Hair : Make sure your hair look awesome !! and you make up too !! :) it worked for me and he didn't mind my braces at all good luck you will have perfect teeth at the end

RedLipstick Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BRACESWONG View Post
    Hi There i live in Miami And i've been wearing braces for 10 days now .. went on a date the other day and it was AMAZING !! my only concern was the food but i got it under control Tips Hair : Make sure your hair look awesome !! and you make up too !! :) it worked for me and he didn't mind my braces at all good luck you will have perfect teeth at the end
    Congratulations on getting your braces.

Btw, it reads as though your recent date is really into you!