1. Damon Clears or metal

Hello all,

I'm 28 yrs old and getting my braces put on next week. I had 3 consultations with 3 different orthos, only 2 offered Damon. Both orthos that offer Damon said that I would be getting the clear on top and the regular Damon (metal) on the bottom. As an adult, you can imagine why I would want them to be as less noticeable as possible.

I was happy with this until I was looking at myself in the mirror yesterday and noticed how much you can see my lower teeth when I talk. I was afraid the regular Damons would be too noticeable. I called the ortho and asked if they do clears on the bottom as well and they said yes. I asked for a price difference, the receptionist came back and said she spoke with the dr and that it would be no extra charge. I thought, great!

Then I started wondering, well if they offer clears on the bottom too, and there's no additional cost, why wouldn't they offer that to me initially? Why did both tell me that they would put clear on top and regular on the bottom, right off the bat? Is is better to have it done this way? What are the Pros and Cons to having clear on both top and bottom as opposed to clear on top and regular on bottom?

Thanks so much for your input!!

2. Hi

All the best! Have you got them yet?

I got mine 3 weeks ago, top 6 teeth are ceramic and the rest metal. The ceramic stick out more tbh, they're slightly bigger than the metal ones. Having said that, they're less 'noticeable' when comparing them. I think if you were to get ceramic on top and bottom you'd probably need to pay more.

Andd let the journey begin :)

As an adult... just go with metal. People are going to notice them anyway.

I have metal Damon braces and they work very well. after almost 9 months in them, my teeth are almost perfectly straight and my bite nearly perfect. The metal braces are stronger and more durable than the ceramic. also, when you get ceramic braces removed, it is much more unpleasant than the metal because ceramic brackets shatter and break. they are also prone to stain, so be careful if you are a coffee, tea, or soda drinker. but I understand why you would want clear.