Very Nervous Old(er) Lady!

Hi! I am getting braces in two days and I'm really nervous. I'm 55 years old. When I was a teenager, my teeth were pretty good...a bit of an overjet/overbite, but nothing that anyone really noticed, including me. Regrettably, teeth shift with age, and over the years things have gotten worse. My overjet is now 8mm, and I have a very deep overbite (100%). So, it's time for me to deal with the issue. I'm really worried about the pain and the discomfort, and I just have a feeling that the day after they go in, I'm going to think "OMG, what on earth have I done?"!

I will be getting ceramics at the front, top and bottom, and traditional braces on my back teeth. At first, I will only have braces on the top...bottoms will follow later. I need to wear them for 30 months (perhaps it takes so long because of my age). Any advice or words of wisdom?

Blog Entries
    Hi, it takes about 2 weeks to get used to wearing braces. At first it feels so weird to have metal in your mouth and you think you'll never get used to it, but you do :)
    I have found eating fine (something I did worry about), just chew with your back teeth. I don't get any pain - besides when I get a new wire, but the pain is only for a few hours or a day-two days max.
    I always put off having a brace, getting older was my excuse - Always thinking I'm too old for braces, I have left it too long, etc, but when I was told that my teeth will just move even more with age I decided I'll just have to go for it. I am 25 and I was surprised to find out that lots of people my age have a brace as well as many people who are older. It's good to be an adult with braces, because we encourage others to do the same. After those month of having a brace, it's going to be great to just have straight teeth/ corrected bite for the rest of life :) Good luck and don't worry.

Smile Hey Susan! My name is Judy.

We can be two nervous old ladies together!!! I am 52 and got my braces put on 3/19/13. I have a over bite and crooked, crowded bottom teeth. I have clear ceramics on the top front and bottom, metal in the back. My mouth is a bit sore, but dealing with it. My ortho sent me home with a backpack full of "stuff", including wax - which is a HUGE help. I invested in a waterpik, which for me is hysterical to use because I have no coordination. I need a rain poncho and flood insurance!! But, my bathroom counter gets cleaned everyday now!

The first couple of days was ----ohhhh, what have I done. But, I have got really good cheerleaders for support, friends and a daughter who have had braces.

Good luck and hopefully we can keep in touch during our journey!!

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    Hi! I am getting braces in two days and I'm really nervous. I'm 55 years old. When I was a teenager, my teeth were pretty good...a bit of an overjet/overbite, but nothing that anyone really noticed, including me. Regrettably, teeth shift with age, and over the years things have gotten worse. My overjet is now 8mm, and I have a very deep overbite (100%). So, it's time for me to deal with the issue. I'm really worried about the pain and the discomfort, and I just have a feeling that the day after they go in, I'm going to think "OMG, what on earth have I done?"!

I will be getting ceramics at the front, top and bottom, and traditional braces on my back teeth. At first, I will only have braces on the top...bottoms will follow later. I need to wear them for 30 months (perhaps it takes so long because of my age). Any advice or words of wisdom?

Thanks to both of you for your support!

Sunnyside: I can attest to the fact that teeth shift with age. I find it incredible how different my teeth are today, relative to when I was younger. So, good for you deciding to do it now before they shift any further. And you're right, from a social standpoint, it is easier when you're older. We don't have to worry about potentially being teased (or we no longer care). So, my main concern is the pain and discomfort. I'm pleased to hear it's only temporary.

Judy: Two nervous old Nellies...yeah!! That works for me. I laughed at your description of the waterpik. I actually bought one of those a while back and it was hilarious the first few times, but I'm now used to it. Glad to hear it will come in handy. You've now had your braces for 6 days, so hopefully you're starting to get accustomed to them. My daughter (now 31) had braces when she was a teenager and she keeps telling me I have nothing to worry about. However, she's currently doing her PhD in the U.K., whereas I'm in Canada, so she's a long-distance cheerleader. In the meantime, I've stocked up on soup and yoghurt, which I suspect is all I'll be eating for the first few days. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow, but I am looking forward to the day I get the braces off and have nice teeth again. Good luck and keep in touch!

So, I got my braces today and I'm feeling fine! The procedure itselft was painless. The braces feel a little funny, but not nearly as bad as I had expected. I thought I would feel like I had a bag of marbles in my mouth, but they just feel a little different...not even uncomfortable or annoying. In fact, when I'm working or concentrating on something, I forget I even have them. And I have had absolutely no pain so far. I've had them on now for about 10 hours. It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop, because I'm not supposed to feel this good. I should note that I only have braces on my upper teeth at this point. The bottom braces won't be put on for a few months because of my very deep bite. Perhaps that's why I feel ok. Or perhaps tomorrow will be a different story. In any event, I'm sooo happy that my nightmares haven't materialized (at least not yet!).

I remember when I was nervous wearing braces! But it is alright. I have gotten used to wearing them for the first day. I guess just adapting to wearing braces comes easily to me. Though, I know that you will look awesome. It like that saying, "Better late then never."

Good afternoon! I'm new here and thought I would introduce myself in this post (I hope you don't mind) to offer support to Susan. I am 48 years old and have had my (metal) braces for.. oh, a little over 7 months now. I only have them on the bottom as I have too many other dental "devices" on the top (a partial and a bridge), but my orthodontist is having a lot of fun with my "interesting case". :) Susan, how are you feeling? Still great I hope? You have some really wonderful exciting days ahead of you! It's amazing the progress you can notice in a short period of time, I'm so excited for you! Be sure to smile big, and smile often!! YAY FOR YOU!!

Thanks, fallfire27: I'm sure at the end of all this, my teeth will look awesome. Whether or not I will look awesome is a different story, given my age! I suspect my awesome days are long gone...but thanks for the support!

speediebean: It's absolutely ok that you introduce yourself on this thread. Glad to know there are others out there who are in or around 50 and in the same boat as me! I'm still feeling pretty good today. I don't feel any pain. I only feel a bit of tightness. It's sort of like how my back feels when I garden for the first time in the spring...a little stiff. So, I can't complain. You and I make a good pair...you with braces only on the bottom and me with them on the top! I am looking forward to seeing the progress over time. It sounds like you're happy with the progress you're making to date, which is great!

Thank you kindly for your grace, Dear Lady. I'm so glad to hear that you're still feeling no pain, that is a great omen. I remember when I first had mine put on, the only real discomfort I had was the insides of my cheeks and lower lip saying to me "Well my goodness, what have you done to me!?" Heehee That didn't last long, I let them know in no uncertain terms that they would just have to grin and bear it. There is much grinning going on now... with fun colourful bands, too! Did you get some fun colourful bands put on? There is such a nice selection to choose from these days, why not have some fun with it? (We may not be as young as we once were, but that doesn't mean we have to be boring now does it?)

I had new bands put on yesterday and my orthodontist told me that I am making such great progress that I'm probably about 3 months or so ahead of schedule, yippee!!!

Might I suggest, if you please, invest in proxy brushes? Either those or what is known as end tuft brushes. Ask your orthodontist about either one of those products. I got end tuft brushes which I use every time I brush (four-five times a day) and I just love them! They reach in behind the wires gently and scrub all the hard-to-reach places really well. They may also be known as "orthodontic brushes" in your area. Please do ask about either one of those things, they could be immensely helpful.

Happy to be in the same boat as you.. now take a rest while I row for a while. :)

Thanks for the tip, speediebean! I already have a proxy brush (I call it my mini toilet bowl cleaner, since that's what it looks like!), but I went out and bought an end tuft brush today...the one that has just a few brushes on the end. I used it earlier and it's great.

Great news that you're 3 months ahead of schedule. I hope someday I'll get news like that. My expected time is 30 months, which seems soooo long. Still, so far, so good. I had a bit of pain last night just before bed...felt like someone had punched me in the mouth. But I went to sleep and when I got up this morning, I was fine, and no pain to speak of yet today. I also don't have any sores in my mouth...perhaps they are on the horizon or perhaps I have tough old cheeks. :)

"Mini toilet bowl cleaner", Hahahaha, you literally made me LOL! I will mention that one to Hubby, I'm sure he'll get a good chuckle out of it. Yes, that's the end tuft brush, just the few bristles at the end. They are perfect for fitting into the teeny little places that a regular brush can't fit into, like behind the braces' wires. I'm sure you'll be just fine. Yeah, there are good days and bad, but the very bright days are ahead!

I'm only 30, and let me tell you, I was on a verge of an anxiety attack the entire time I was getting them on, and my poor legs were shaking periodically, so by the time I left, my legs were jelly! lol

Good luck to you!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

It's all smooth sailing from here on in! Wheeee!!!

Blog Entries
    I am 56 and have had my damon brace for 9 months. I now have bands which are worn 24/7. They are a bit of a nuisance as food lodges more easily. Nothing has really been too awful except the feeling of being a bit too old for all this malarkey. However a 13 year said snap to me the other as she had just had her brace fitted and that it was cool that I had a brace as well. Made my day !
    It is good to know that others are taking the plunge a bit later in life.

RedLipstick Guest
    Hi Susan! Congratulations on getting your braces. How are you doing so far? Good luck!