Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Markham, Toronto, Richmond Hill, Stouffville
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieuclabruin View Post
    One thing I still don't quite understand is why my ortho gave me 46 aligners for both my top and bottom teeth, even though my lower teeth are WAY worse than my upper teeth.
    It is also possible that you your doctor slowed down the movements in the upper arch to give you the same number of aligners for both arches. This is usually preferable to giving out passive aligners to increase predictability of the movements.

If you go back to threads from several years ago, you will read many complaints from members who had to stay in one aligner for another year because they were done with one arch, but not with the other.
    Dr Jason K Tam
    Markham Orthodontist, Stouffville Orthodontist, Oshawa

Top 1% Super Elite Invisalign, Teen Provider, Invisalign Speaker's Bureau
    2012 Las Vegas Invisalign Case Finalist
    2014 Invisalign Case Publication

Invisalign in Toronto Blog
    **NEW** Before and After Invisalign 2.0 Video
    Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

MCO Orthodontics Facebook

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MCOMarkhamOrthodontist View Post
    If you go back to threads from several years ago, you will read many complaints from members who had to stay in one aligner for another year because they were done with one arch, but not with the other.
    I don't use Acceledent, but I vouch for the annoyance at having an uneven number of trays! I had to wear my last bottom tray for MONTHS because I finished at Tray 19 but went to 32 (out of the original 37) in my initial round. And I changed every two weeks. It was the older material and got very dirty and yucky even though I tried cleaning them. With my first refinement, there is a difference (22 top versus 30 bottom), but I change every week so it won't be as bad :)
    Initial Round October 29, 2012
    Tray 32/37 Upper (8 Attachments, 1 Additional Attachment Trays 20-26)
    Tray 19/19 Lower (7 Attachments)
    Change Biweekly

Refinement Round February 26, 2014
    Tray 22/22 Upper (5 New Attachments)
    Tray 30/30 Lower (no new attachments)
    Change Weekly

COMPLETED September 29, 2014
    Attachments removed. Retainers received October 8 and October 14!

My Blog: http://invisaligned.weebly.com/

It is also possible that you your doctor slowed down the movements in the upper arch to give you the same number of aligners for both arches. This is usually preferable to giving out passive aligners to increase predictability of the movements.

Ah, this makes alot of sense!
    Dr. Tam, I have one more quick question for you. I am now on day 6 of acceledent and so far it seems to be going according to plan. My question is this though: How do I know it's working? Tomorrow I start tray 4 and will switch to a one-tray-a-week schedule. Will I notice some sort of difference now that I will switch out my trays weekly vs bi-weekly like I did my first 3 trays? Or will everything pretty much feel the same but just move at a faster timeline?
    Thanks again for your responses and help! :)

Ah, this makes alot of sense!
    Dr. Tam, I have one more quick question for you. I am now on day 6 of acceledent and so far it seems to be going according to plan. My question is this though: How do I know it's working? Tomorrow I start tray 4 and will switch to a one-tray-a-week schedule. Will I notice some sort of difference now that I will switch out my trays weekly vs bi-weekly like I did my first 3 trays? Or will everything pretty much feel the same but just move at a faster timeline?
    Thanks again for your responses and help! :)
    It is tough to know whether your AcceleDent is working. The best way is to make sure the trays are tracking as desired. This should be confirmed when you visit your orthodontist. You may be able to feel less tightness with the aligners and check the general fit of the aligners.

The most telling way would be to go back to not using the AcceleDent and figure out if you feel any different (but I wouldn't advise that!).

Good luck!
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

Unhappy

It is tough to know whether your AcceleDent is working. The best way is to make sure the trays are tracking as desired. This should be confirmed when you visit your orthodontist. You may be able to feel less tightness with the aligners and check the general fit of the aligners.

The most telling way would be to go back to not using the AcceleDent and figure out if you feel any different (but I wouldn't advise that!).

Good luck!
    Ok Great! Thanks for the advice.
    Anyway, just so you guys know what I am dealing with, here is a pic of my teeth at my initial consultation. As you can see, I have some pretty severe lower crowding, and some additional crowding on my uppers. I also have a big gap in my lower teeth (from a previous tooth extraction). 46 upper trays and 46 lower trays with 11 attachments.

Hmm it won't let me edit my previous post to add the pics....so here we are!
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Here's a question for the "resident orthodontist" (Dr. Markham) that I suspect hasn't been asked here before. I'm 4 months into my 16 month Invisalign plan and was introduced to Acceledent yesterday by my ortho. My first impression was "Whoa, this is fantastic; sign me up!" Then she hit me with the additional $835 cost and, after I picked myself up off the floor, I had a few thoughts which I decided to keep to myself at the time. First off, why was this option not bought up during the initial consultation and quotation? This feels strangely like a kind of bait and switch ploy which really doesn't sit well with me. And second, it's wonderful that Acceledent offers me the opportunity to cut my treatment time virtually in half, but it also cuts the time spent by my ortho by something close to 50% too! So please tell me why I'm not being offered use of the device for free or a refund on the plan charge which I paid up front? I would appreciate you thoughts on these issues Dr. Markham.
    Last edited by paris1; 06-18-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    I believe you meant Dr. Tam (Markham is the name of his practice). I will say, Acceledent is relatively new and many orthodontists don't even offer it yet or haven't even heard of it yet. My ortho won't offer it yet because he feels there isn't enough peer-reviewed data to support its effectiveness. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence out there, but right now, he doesn't feel comfortable offering it to his patients just yet.

As far as the price, $835 is relatively inexpensive for Acceledent. I've read about some patients paying $1700 or so for it (in addition to the price of Invisalign). It could be that your ortho just recently started offering Acceledent to his/her patients, which is why it came after you started treatment. I think as more & more orthos start using it, it will start becoming bundled with treatment. Definitely not a "bait & switch" situation.
    Invisalign Start Date: 1-17-2013

Initial round of treatment: 24 U&L, 14 attachments
    Refinements 1/28/14: 22 U&L, 16 attachments, 3 metal buttons, 5 elastics

Lower retainer 12/23/14, circumferential elastics
    Upper retainer 1/14/15

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    Here's a question for the "resident orthodontist" (Dr. Markham) that I suspect hasn't been asked here before. I'm 4 months into my 16 month Invisalign plan and was introduced to Acceledent yesterday by my ortho. My first impression was "Whoa, this is fantastic; sign me up!" Then she hit me with the additional $835 cost and, after I picked myself up off the floor, I had a few thoughts which I decided to keep to myself at the time. First off, why was this option not bought up during the initial consultation and quotation? This feels strangely like a kind of bait and switch ploy which really doesn't sit well with me. And second, it's wonderful that Acceledent offers me the opportunity to cut my treatment time virtually in half, but it also cuts the time spent by my ortho by something close to 50% too! So please tell me why I'm not being offered use of the device for free or a refund on the plan charge which I paid up front? I would appreciate you thoughts on these issues Dr. Markham.
    The cost of an AcceleDent unit with a mouthpiece is about $1000USD. We did offer this to some of our patients during the middle of their treatment because it was not available in our country when they first began their treatment. Many of them were ecstatic about being able to use it. Now, virtually all of our Invisalign patients use AcceleDent and it is part of their treatment just like chewies and attachments might be used.

Each office is entitled to their own fee schedule and offices can introduce various technologies at different times. I would not consider this a "bait and switch". Your orthodontist could happily let you continue to use the aligners on a non-accelerated schedule and not offer you AcceleDent at less than cost. My suggestion is that you have a candid and open but non-accusatory discussion with your doctor and see where that goes.

Good luck!
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

10. Hi Dr. Tam, I have few questiosn for you please.
    I live in France, and I started my invisalign treatment 3 weeks ago (I have 49trays for 24months).
    I really want to use Acceledent.
    I want to know if Acceledent works if i wear elastics? I will have elastics to correct my overbite.
    Does acceledent work with Elastics and will it reduce the time?

And are we sure, Acceledent is completly safe for our teeth, roots and bones?

Thank you very much
    Sophie.

Very important note for those thinking about selling their units or thinking of buying one from someone. The units are designed to produce X amount of days of 20 minute use. In other words, beyond that point, the unit will no longer function. Therefore, you could be buying a unit that does not have enough days left for your treatment.

This also applies to sharing a unit. If used by two people daily, it will cut the number of days down twice as quickly and a unit designed to last 18 months worth of daily use will now only work for 9.

We had a couple of patients who were together as couples or in a family and sold them a unit and more than one mouthpiece as a favour with the intention that they could save on the cost of their accelerated treatment... We've since had to let them know that this is not going to work and they will need their own units.
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

12. That's interesting, Dr.Tam! I wonder how many uses they work for? What if you have a particularly long treatment or need way more refinements than expected? It seems rare for treatment to be only what was originally planned.... It often goes longer.

Hello Dr. Tam,
    I am now on try 18/46. I am using acceledent and have been switching my trays every week. My teeth are starting to look amazing, however there has been a new disconcerting development. In the past 2-3 weeks I have developed a popping/clicking sensation in my jaw. It happens every time I open my mouth to chew food and is a very uncomfortable/unsettling sensation. Could this possibly be caused by the acceledent and/or invisalign? I had been using my acceledent/ invisalign without any issues for the past 4 months before this occurrence. Any ideas what it could be? Thank you!
    Invisalign w/ Acceledent

U - 44+/46
    L - 44+/46
    11 attachments
    acceledent - switching trays every 7 days.

Hello Dr. Tam,
    I am now on try 18/46. I am using acceledent and have been switching my trays every week. My teeth are starting to look amazing, however there has been a new disconcerting development. In the past 2-3 weeks I have developed a popping/clicking sensation in my jaw. It happens every time I open my mouth to chew food and is a very uncomfortable/unsettling sensation. Could this possibly be caused by the acceledent and/or invisalign? I had been using my acceledent/ invisalign without any issues for the past 4 months before this occurrence. Any ideas what it could be? Thank you!
    Very difficult to say what the cause of this is without all of the pieces to the puzzle. If you are posturing your jaw often, this can lead the jaw out of the joint and cause this type of issue. It is not uncommon in orthodontic treatment to experience this, as your bite is constantly changing. It is also possible that you are straining a lot to keep the AcceleDent in your mouth when you are using it. These are just a couple of thoughts and ideas. I would bring this up with your treating orthodontist who will be able to conduct a proper exam and know what course the treatment is supposed to be taking. Good luck!
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

@eddie
    On my recent tray I had something similar - minor popping feeling on one side of a jaw. So far though it seems to be fleeting and quickly goes away.

If anyone's interested in using Acceledent, I have a unit I'm trying to get rid of after 7 months of use. I finished my treatment and have no use for it! PM me your email if you're interested!

Blog Entries
    I don't think it would be a good idea to re-use someone else's dental appliance.
    Invisalign Start Date: 1-17-2013

Initial round of treatment: 24 U&L, 14 attachments
    Refinements 1/28/14: 22 U&L, 16 attachments, 3 metal buttons, 5 elastics

Lower retainer 12/23/14, circumferential elastics
    Upper retainer 1/14/15

18. Hello,

I know this thread is older, but I was wondering if Dr Jason K Tam or anyone can give information on the stability of the result with acceldent. Since the teeth are moving faster, does this mean they will be less stable or fused into their position in the end? Would one also be required to use a retainer during the day for a longer period of time after treatment if you speed up the process?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bracester View Post
    Hello,

I know this thread is older, but I was wondering if Dr Jason K Tam or anyone can give information on the stability of the result with acceldent. Since the teeth are moving faster, does this mean they will be less stable or fused into their position in the end? Would one also be required to use a retainer during the day for a longer period of time after treatment if you speed up the process?

Thank you.
    Great question and really a controlled study would be required to provide the best answer to your question. From an anecdotal perspective, we have not heard or seen any different between our AcceleDent and non-AcceleDent patients. This may have to do with the way we use the aligners and AcceleDent as we get towards the end of the initial/MCC/refinement aligners.
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

20. Quote Originally Posted by MCOMarkhamOrthodontist View Post
    Great question and really a controlled study would be required to provide the best answer to your question. From an anecdotal perspective, we have not heard or seen any different between our AcceleDent and non-AcceleDent patients. This may have to do with the way we use the aligners and AcceleDent as we get towards the end of the initial/MCC/refinement aligners.
    Thank you for your response. I would like to use AcceleDent but I am worried about something going wrong as a result. I would certainly love to speed up the process though! Is there a special way your office in particular uses the aligners and AcceleDent towards the end, or is this a standard thing that most orthodontists using AcceleDent would apply to their patient's treatment plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bracester View Post
    Thank you for your response. I would like to use AcceleDent but I am worried about something going wrong as a result. I would certainly love to speed up the process though! Is there a special way your office in particular uses the aligners and AcceleDent towards the end, or is this a standard thing that most orthodontists using AcceleDent would apply to their patient's treatment plan?
    Orthodontic treatment using various technologies and appliances will provide different results depending on how they are used and who is using them. This holds true for AcceleDent as well as Invisalign. You are asking some great questions and should definitely make sure your orthodontist is able to make you feel comfortable.

Best of luck!
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog