Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Markham, Toronto, Richmond Hill, Stouffville

Acceledent information thread

Hi everyone. I thought it would be great to have an entire thread with information about AcceleDent. This has been something I have been looking at for a couple of years now as I have friends in Australia who have really found some benefits of its use. It was recently approved for use in Canada and I received two units to beta test with a couple of my patients. I have had a lot of demand for it and am going to start offering it to my patients, with a full disclosure about how the product works, the evidence, etc. We will start using it for our Invisalign patients who are looking to decrease their treatment time and then consider it for traditional braces also.

We had the rep from OrthoAccel visit our office this morning to give us a one-hour lecture on Acceledent and I've written a blog entry to introduce it to the forum. I plan to update with the scientific articles, more product information, and some personal experience shortly.

Introduction to AcceleDent in Toronto
    Dr Jason K Tam
    Markham Orthodontist, Stouffville Orthodontist, Oshawa

Top 1% Super Elite Invisalign, Teen Provider, Invisalign Speaker's Bureau
    2012 Las Vegas Invisalign Case Finalist
    2014 Invisalign Case Publication

Invisalign in Toronto Blog
    **NEW** Before and After Invisalign 2.0 Video
    Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

MCO Orthodontics Facebook

Thats brilliant news dr tam! I feel privileged that I actually use it lol. I'm at a stage in treatment where I would actually be in a years time and it's only been six months yet. The treatment time is dramatically decreased. Not only that I feel the vibrations from the device massage my teeth somehow so it doesn't hurt so much when aligner changes come! everynight before bed i get my 20minute massage lol..The only downsize is the price. In the uk I no in the ortho practice I go to they may not do it anymore as the shipping charges are massive and cost price one appliance costs 1000 so it would be too expensive. I got a good deal at 650 as did all the others who got there acceledent before! the only thing which im a bit iffy on is after im done with the acceledent what do i do with it? i can recycle it as acceledent suggest id love to sell it and the user can just buy a new mouth piece? makes sense to me..

just read on your blog that aligners can be changed 4-7 days...4 days!!!!!! thats soooo quickkkk?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruzzzz View Post
    Thats brilliant news dr tam! I feel privileged that I actually use it lol. I'm at a stage in treatment where I would actually be in a years time and it's only been six months yet. The treatment time is dramatically decreased. Not only that I feel the vibrations from the device massage my teeth somehow so it doesn't hurt so much when aligner changes come! everynight before bed i get my 20minute massage lol..The only downsize is the price. In the uk I no in the ortho practice I go to they may not do it anymore as the shipping charges are massive and cost price one appliance costs 1000 so it would be too expensive. I got a good deal at 650 as did all the others who got there acceledent before! the only thing which im a bit iffy on is after im done with the acceledent what do i do with it? i can recycle it as acceledent suggest id love to sell it and the user can just buy a new mouth piece? makes sense to me..
    Since it is a Class 2 medical device, you can't sell it on E-Bay or anything. I guess if you wanted to sell it "black market" that might work. The issue is with getting a new mouthpiece. I have heard of some offices buying the units back from their patients as the battery on these units is supposed to be good for a few years, but again, that is going "black market". I prefer to purchase new ones and our patients can decide if they want it or not.

At this time, I am offering the unit for pretty much the cost of the unit and I have let my patients know that I cannot back up the claims of OrthoAccel as I have not seen it in my own patients. It won't take long to start seeing how it is working due to the volume of patients we see in our office.

You can imagine that it stocking the AcceleDent in inventory is a serious challenge due to the cost, and unfortunately, as with all things, the discount to the orthodontist is greater in bulk. At this time, the biggest volume discount is at 100 units. Do a little bit of quick math and you can see that it isn't easy for the doctor to stock this, especially even before any patient takes the unit!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruzzzz View Post
    just read on your blog that aligners can be changed 4-7 days...4 days!!!!!! thats soooo quickkkk?
    There are certain doctors that had their patients changing trays weekly before Acceledent because the decreased the movements per tray by half. This is where the 4 days comes from. There are a number of doctors that have been trying to push the envelope going on 5 days instead of 7 (for what would otherwise be regular 2 week changes).
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

For the best Toronto Invisalign results, see how to choose an Invisalign doctor, and Invisalign vs Braces
    Markham Braces Blog

gosh I wish I could get this! Will you offer clients a flat fee? How much might it cost? I am going to ask my ortho if he is going to be offering it. Despite the fact that i cannot afford it, my treatment time is soooo long that it would definitely be worth the investment for me. Is it better for less complicated cases though?

What about patients with elastics?

Refinement 1: 1/30
    Round one complete
    64 of 67 U
    20 of 20 L
    4 metal buttons, 19 attachments, 4 elastics, 6 brackets...

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    gosh I wish I could get this! Will you offer clients a flat fee? How much might it cost? I am going to ask my ortho if he is going to be offering it. Despite the fact that i cannot afford it, my treatment time is soooo long that it would definitely be worth the investment for me. Is it better for less complicated cases though?

What about patients with elastics?
    All great questions. I have given a lot of thought to this and I am aware of some doctors in other countries who make every patient use this and others that sell it a la carte for those who want it. Doctors are charging anywhere from $600-$2000 USD on top of regular treatment costs for AcceleDent.

I have decided that I will not force this on all patients :) and instead offer it for those interested. It will be a set amount on top of the treatment and would likely divide it over the course of the treatment. Keep in mind that since treatment times are going to decrease, this will also mean that monthly payments going to increase to allow for payment during the treatment period. This is certainly going to be a challenge as many people like to spread their payments over a longer period to allow them to work within their monthly budget. For example, $1000 for the unit divided over 20 months is $50/month on top of regular monthly payments, but if treatment now becomes 14 months, it is about $70/month but a $6500 fee goes from $325 (plus acceledent) to $465 (plus acceledent). I would love to hear what some of you would consider paying for this so that I can get an idea of how it should work for my patients.

If this is to be used for less complicated cases, the cost of the unit is still the same and while taking a 1 year treatment down to 6-9 months may not be as dramatic as taking a 3 year treatment down to 2 years, those extra months and less discomfort will be of significant value to a certain segment of the population.

The research with AcceleDent shows data mainly from the alignment phases. I have heard anecdotal reports of the benefits being greater for specific types of movement with less effect for others, but again, I cannot confidently post that here until I have had more experience with it.

I'm working (right now) on adapting one of their corporate videos and one directed at patients and will share that when it is ready.
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MCOMarkhamOrthodontist View Post
    I would love to hear what some of you would consider paying for this so that I can get an idea of how it should work for my patients.
    I'm in the US and would consider paying up to $850 for it. My treatment plan is 24 trays, so cutting my time in half would be worth it. Not sure if I'd go as high as $1000. Just the thought of the extra zero makes the price look a LOT bigger, even though it's only $150 more than $850. I paid out-of-pocket in full for my treatment since my ortho gave a significant discount for payment in full. I do worry about root resorption issues since I'm in my 40s. Does age make a difference?
    Invisalign Start Date: 1-17-2013

Initial round of treatment: 24 U&L, 14 attachments
    Refinements 1/28/14: 22 U&L, 16 attachments, 3 metal buttons, 5 elastics

Lower retainer 12/23/14, circumferential elastics
    Upper retainer 1/14/15

Blog Entries
    I agree with Kris. If I had this offered to me at the beginning and it would have cut my treatment time in half, (I've only got 12-18 months, apparently) $850 would make me interested. Much above that and I'd pass. I, too, paid in full up front. Now if I was Random and looking at 3 years, I'd definitely be more interested and might even pay more.
    Millenia

20/20 Upper
    18/18 Lower

Refinements
    26/26 Upper
    15/15 Lower

Started Invisalign 10/1/2012
    Finished on 3/10/2014

i paid for my invisalign as 1650 first payment and then 150 each month..my invisalign totals 3950..i then paid 650 for acceledent which i had to pay in one lump sum..i wish i could have included it within my monthly payments..it may be of use to have like a package price for fixed braces with acceledent or invisalign with acceledent..

10. My initial treatment plan calls for 21 trays. I agree with SopranoKris. I'd do 850.

Are there greater concerns for patients in their 40's regarding root resorption? (I'm 43)

How much I was willing to pay would depend on how long my treatment plan was. Like, knocking off 3-6 months from a 1-year treatment time would not be worth that much to me, so I'd only want to pay a couple of hundred dollars more for that. But knocking off a year or 18 months from a 3-year treatment time would totally be worth it. So whether it was $600 or $1000, I'd probably pay it. $2000? Not so much. I paid up front to get the discount, so the monthly figures are not as important to me as the total cost.

BUT, then again, a) I am conservative with stuff like this and want others to have been the guinea pigs first to prove to me that it works, so I might be swayed by lots of research and patient testimonials even if I had a short treatment time, and b) as another person in their 40's, I'd also want information about whether my jaw bones and roots could handle such quick movement.

Over the studies done, there has been no root resorption any greater in any patients using AcceleDent. The reason for this is because the speeding up of the process is from the bone turnover rate, not by creating more force to move the teeth. Most resorption is either genetic or due to excessive force on the teeth.

Thank you for the feedback on what you feel might be an acceptable cost for using AcceleDent. I completely understand the issue of cost with regards to using AcceleDent. Unfortunately, the cost for it is fixed regardless of the duration of treatment. Currently the cost of the units is still too high for most doctors to be able to stock them in inventory. I feel that this is a great technology and will eventually be highly adopted in orthodontics, but the per unit price must come down to help increase the rate of acceptance for docs and patients.

PS I left my USB at work today so will have to wait until later to post some more info...
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

Are we able to get Acceledent if we don't live in USA, Canada or Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by snuffles View Post
    Are we able to get Acceledent if we don't live in USA, Canada or Australia?
    It is available in some European countries. It is all going to depend on whether it is approved in your country and your orthodontist has it available. There have been some doctors in other countries such as Japan who travel to other places to bring the appliance back to their practice.
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

Here is a link to an adapted corporate video from AcceleDent. I'm working on the one that has instructions for patient use.

Acceledent Corporate Video

UPDATED: Here is the patient information video.

AcceleDent Patient Information Video
    Last edited by MCOMarkhamOrthodontist; 05-04-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added patient info video
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

Blog Entries
    I will be starting my Invisalign treatment next week with Acceledent. 32 trays U/L and 7 attachments. Excited to see how the Acceledent works as I have been told I will be able to change trays every 5-7 days. I believe I am the first to try the Acceledent from my orth's office. The cost for the Acceledent at my orth is $1000. Another orth office I had a consultation with was charging $1280. To me the extra $1000 is completely worth it to reduce my treatment time by 8 months or so. The additional benefit of likely relieving some of the discomfort with new aligners is a plus too. I am 44 years old and I am not sure I would have gone ahead with any orth treatment if I had to wear braces or aligners for much more than a year. It is a little bit of a risk considering the device is so new, but I have done a lot of research and everything I read suggests that it will work.

17. I paid for my entire treatment up-front, I would have definitely paid another $1000 for Acceledent if it would've cut my treatment time in half.
    Invisalign started June 19, 2012
    U - 25/29
    L - 25/26

18. Thanks dr. tam for telling us about acceledent.

This has been something I have been looking at for a couple of years now as I have friends in Australia who have really found some benefits of its use. It was recently approved for use in Canada and I received two units to beta test with a couple of my patients. I have had a lot of demand for it and am going to start offering it to my patients, with a full disclosure about how the product works, the evidence, etc. We will start using it for our Invisalign patients who are looking to decrease their treatment time and then consider it for traditional braces also.
    Would you mind sharing with us more about acceledent, from the perspectives of your patients and your Australian ortho friends? There isn't much literature online about it except the ones from orthoaccent, which of course claim that acceledent works.

I have let my patients know that I cannot back up the claims of OrthoAccel as I have not seen it in my own patients. It won't take long to start seeing how it is working due to the volume of patients we see in our office.
    You mentioned that you started offering this device to your patients since the end of April. Up to this point, has acceledent worked for all your patients who opted for acceledent, in terms of reducing treatment time while experiencing absolutely no negative effects? Can you give us a ballpark figure of how many of your patients have tried it so far?

Does your clinical experience, during this 5-month period since end of April, align with all the claims that orthoaccel has made, ie: reduction of treatment time, and reduction of discomfort when wearing aligners especially when switching to a new tray? It would be useful to know if this device hadn't been effective for any of your patients, or if acceledent has been "batting 100%" so far for everybody.

At this stage, do you feel comfortable enough about acceledent to back up the claims of orthoaccel?

I would love to hear what some of you would consider paying for this so that I can get an idea of how it should work for my patients.
    To answer your question, it would be a huge benefit for me if I can get out of my braces several months sooner. I would definitely pay up to $1k for acceledent, but only if I can be assured of its long-term safety that no negative / adverse effects would occur despite moving the teeth so fast. I am a conservative person when it comes to health-related matters, so if there is any potential short-term / long-term health risks associated with using acceledent, then I'd rather spend the extra few months in braces. If acceledent works with no issues, then cost would not be an issue for me.

19. Quote Originally Posted by saitojohn View Post
    Thanks dr. tam for telling us about acceledent.

Would you mind sharing with us more about acceledent, from the perspectives of your patients and your Australian ortho friends? There isn't much literature online about it except the ones from orthoaccent, which of course claim that acceledent works.

You mentioned that you started offering this device to your patients since the end of April.
    I can't answer all of the questions you have asked but I can answer a few since I am a patient of Dr. Tam's who has used Acceledent since it became available here. I browse this forum occasionally but I have only just registered so that I could answer this question. I know when I was deciding whether or not to go ahead with it, I was looking for patient experiences and didn't see too many. It is a lot of money to spend when you can't find much in the way patient stories but I decided that it was a chance worth taking and I am really really happy that I did. I had a canine that was severely rotated and didn't want to budge. Although, a year into my treatment, my other teeth were coming along nicely, I honestly didn't believe this one was going to play ball no matter what we did. I ended up getting a midcourse correction and started Acceledent shortly afterward. Despite changing aligners every 5 or 7 days (depending on the movements required...7 was better for the rotation) the tooth moved way more in the first two months with Acceledent than it had up to that point. Everything is moving really well and really quickly. It helps a lot with my motivation to be able to see real changes on a continuous basis, as well. Comfort wise, I have almost no pain or discomfort at all from the teeth moving. I actually have a lot less discomfort than before Acceledent but I also have the SmartTrack material and I think that contributes to the comfort as well. The only thing I find is that some occasional jaw pain (feels like muscle pain in the jaw from clenching) that I have been getting on and off since starting Invisalign picked up a bit after I started using it. I doubt that it has anything to do with the low level pulse or the teeth moving, I think it is just another thing that I bite down on and I already have a clenching problem. You are supposed to just let it sit loosely, but I have an iron jaw and I can't seem to help it:)

I am just one person but I can honestly tell you that I would recommend it, if you get the chance. For me, it is absolutely worth every penny. I wish it had been available from the start of my treatment but I suppose if it had been then I wouldn't know exactly how much difference it really makes. Some people have teeth that move more quickly than others, right? I might have thought I was one of them. It's only because I spent a year with Invisalign before I started using Acceledent that I know how just my teeth moved before and after....and, truthfully, there really is a very big difference.

If you have any other questions that I can help with, just let me know. Hopefully Dr. Tam will see your post and will be able to answer your other questions. Good luck!
    Last edited by lilone; 09-19-2013 at 09:30 PM.

20. Lilone: thank you so much for sharing your experiences with acceledent.

Quote Originally Posted by lilone View Post
    The only thing I find is that some occasional jaw pain (feels like muscle pain in the jaw from clenching) that I have been getting on and off since starting Invisalign picked up a bit after I started using it. I doubt that it has anything to do with the low level pulse or the teeth moving, I think it is just another thing that I bite down on and I already have a clenching problem. You are supposed to just let it sit loosely, but I have an iron jaw and I can't seem to help it:)
    Do you mean, you started experiencing this occasional jaw pain only after you started using Acceledent? Was this jaw pain present before you started using it?

I am just one person but I can honestly tell you that I would recommend it, if you get the chance. For me, it is absolutely worth every penny. I wish it had been available from the start of my treatment but I suppose if it had been then I wouldn't know exactly how much difference it really makes. Some people have teeth that move more quickly than others, right? I might have thought I was one of them. It's only because I spent a year with Invisalign before I started using Acceledent that I know how just my teeth moved before and after....and, truthfully, there really is a very big difference.
    It means a lot to me to hear a patient's testimonial. I was on the fence about Acceledent, not so much about the cost as my concern about the risks of moving teeth so quickly compared to conventional speed. Your post may very well convince me to sign up for Acceledent! :) It is amazing to hear that you have experienced no negative effects at all despite your teeth moving so fast.

Despite changing aligners every 5 or 7 days (depending on the movements required...7 was better for the rotation) the tooth moved way more in the first two months with Acceledent than it had up to that point.
    Before Acceledent, were you changing aligners every 2 weeks? And after you started Acceledent, the maximum time you stayed with a particular aligner was only 7 days?

Now that you've added Acceledent to your treatment, how much is your estimated treatment time reduced by?

21. Quote Originally Posted by saitojohn View Post
    Lilone: thank you so much for sharing your experiences with acceledent.

Do you mean, you started experiencing this occasional jaw pain only after you started using Acceledent? Was this jaw pain present before you started using it?

It means a lot to me to hear a patient's testimonial. I was on the fence about Acceledent, not so much about the cost as my concern about the risks of moving teeth so quickly compared to conventional speed. Your post may very well convince me to sign up for Acceledent! :) It is amazing to hear that you have experienced no negative effects at all despite your teeth moving so fast.

Before Acceledent, were you changing aligners every 2 weeks? And after you started Acceledent, the maximum time you stayed with a particular aligner was only 7 days?

Now that you've added Acceledent to your treatment, how much is your estimated treatment time reduced by?
    Hi again,

1. The jaw pain is not new. I would get it on rare occasions before any of this and I had it looked in to before braces. I'm told it is not TMJ, it is a tight muscle, likely caused by clenching. Invisalign causes me to clench and so it happened more often after starting Invisalign. Then Acceledent came along and it is another thing that I clench too hard on so it happens a bit more again. I don't mean to make it sound like it is anything hugely painful or that it happens every day. It is just a tight muscle on my left side. I only mentioned it because I want to make sure to mention everything. This likely won't happen to you, but if it does then you know that you are not the only one.

2. Yes, I changed every two weeks before Acceledent. Right now I am changing every 5 days and it is working beautifully but when the canine was rotating I changed every 7 days because it is a trickier movement.

3. I don't know exactly how much my time will be reduced by off-hand because I started so far into my treatment and because I don't know how much time I would have spent in refinements compared to what I will spend now. I know I have taken more than half the remaining time off of my sentence, though, because I was at 14 days and now change at 5 (and 7 for a while there).

I have decided that I will not force this on all patients :) and instead offer it for those interested. It will be a set amount on top of the treatment and would likely divide it over the course of the treatment. Keep in mind that since treatment times are going to decrease, this will also mean that monthly payments going to increase to allow for payment during the treatment period. This is certainly going to be a challenge as many people like to spread their payments over a longer period to allow them to work within their monthly budget. For example, $1000 for the unit divided over 20 months is $50/month on top of regular monthly payments, but if treatment now becomes 14 months, it is about $70/month but a $6500 fee goes from $325 (plus acceledent) to $465 (plus acceledent). I would love to hear what some of you would consider paying for this so that I can get an idea of how it should work for my patients.
    Dr. Tam- I was thinking about this and how I would prefer to see it presented if my provider was offering it at an option. I know you said you want to make it an option and not force all of your patients to buy it. I think you should present it as a price point from the start, so when you give the pricing information, it would be built into the price already instead of an additional cost. Instead of adding it as an additional charge, you're showing them two different "models" like when you're car shopping.

So now, instead of an additional charge you have $325/month for 20 months or $465/month for 10 months.

Just a thought, I personally think that presenting it that way would make me more willing to think about the benefits than trying to stomach an "extra charge."
    Finished Invisalign Treatment 12/12/13!
    Bonded Retainer on Top, Vivera Retainers on top and bottom, full time for 6 months
    Refinement: 9/10U, 5/5L, 4 attachments on 3 teeth - started 9/10/2013
    Initial Treatment: 30 Upper, 29 Lower, 9 attachments on 8 teeth - 6/22/2012 - 8/22/2013

Read My Blog: Invisalign ~ Braces Gone Wireless

23. Quote Originally Posted by lilone View Post
    Hi again,
    I sent you a PM. If you don't mind, when you have time, would you please take a look? Thanks so much for being so kind to share your experiences with us.

Blog Entries
    I have been using Acceledent since tray 3 and changing trays weekly. I have the new Smart Track material since I started in May of this year. Unfortunately, around trays 13/14 my lateral incisors started getting off track. I wore tray 14 for 2 weeks and will wear trays 15-18 for 10 days before my next orth visit. If the lateral incisors still are not tracking I will need a mid-course correction. It is really hard to say if I would have had the same outcome without the Acceledent and changing trays every 2 weeks. My orth did say that the lateral incisors can be difficult to move so I would like to believe it is the teeth and not the Acceledent. As far as reduced pain, my experience has been very much like lilone's. I really have no pain or soreness after changing trays. This has been the case since about trays 4 or 5. I also experience a little bit of jaw discomfort from time to time, but I think the Acceledent mouthpiece is a little too big for my mouth (I have a very small mouth) and I feel stretching my mouth so much while using the Acceledent is the source of the jaw discomfort.
    Started Invisalign 5/21/2013. Using Acceledent and changing trays every 7-12 days

Finished 04/16/2014.

Round 2:
    20 of 20 U/L

Round 1: (Stopped at 18 for mid-course correction)
    18 of 35 U/L

25. Quote Originally Posted by CityGirl View Post
    Unfortunately, around trays 13/14 my lateral incisors started getting off track. I wore tray 14 for 2 weeks and will wear trays 15-18 for 10 days before my next orth visit. If the lateral incisors still are not tracking I will need a mid-course correction. It is really hard to say if I would have had the same outcome without the Acceledent and changing trays every 2 weeks. My orth did say that the lateral incisors can be difficult to move so I would like to believe it is the teeth and not the Acceledent.
    This is interesting since Acceledent is supposed to help teeth move more readily. Do you mean that, if you had worn trays for the full 2 weeks (without Acceledent) then the lateral incisors might have been on track (of course we can't be sure as you haven't tried not using Acceledent)? I wonder if wearing each tray for only 7 days could have been the cause for the lateral incisors' stubbornness. Hope your lateral incisors start moving fast after wearing the trays longer along with using Acceledent.

Quote Originally Posted by CityGirl View Post
    As far as reduced pain, my experience has been very much like lilone's. I really have no pain or soreness after changing trays. This has been the case since about trays 4 or 5.
    So from trays 1 to 3, how much pain/soreness were you experiencing without the use of Acceledent? Were you changing trays every 2 weeks from trays 1 to 3?

I also experience a little bit of jaw discomfort from time to time, but I think the Acceledent mouthpiece is a little too big for my mouth (I have a very small mouth) and I feel stretching my mouth so much while using the Acceledent is the source of the jaw discomfort.
    Sounds like this jaw discomfort should be transient. As soon as you're done with the treatment and Acceledent, your jaw will probably go back to normal because you don't need to stretch your mouth anymore to fit Acceledent.
    Last edited by saitojohn; 09-20-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sailtojohn - I didn't start Acceledent until tray 3 (there was a delay in getting it from the manufacturer). I changed trays 1-2 every 2 weeks. I still had some pain/soreness for a couple of trays after I started using the Acceledent. However, the pain from trays 1-5 was not that bad (I didn't need to take any ibuprofen, Tylenol, etc) and usually only lasted a day or 2 after switching trays. The jaw discomfort is also minimal and comes and goes. Nothing I am concerned about.

I do feel the situation with my lateral incisors would be the same without the Acceledent as all my other teeth seem to be tracking fine. Also, I had my teeth scanned and am using the Smart Track material both of which are supposed to lessen the need for corrections/refinements. As I said, my orth told me that they are difficult teeth to move and she actually told me they may not move at all no matter what is done. I have a feeling if I need a mid-course correction I will likely need attachments put on them, which I currently don't have. Keeping my fingers crossed that my lateral incisors get with the program and I can stay on schedule.
    Started Invisalign 5/21/2013. Using Acceledent and changing trays every 7-12 days

Finished 04/16/2014.

Round 2:
    20 of 20 U/L

18 of 35 U/L

27. Just an observation, but isn't the smarttrack material designed to move teeth more slowly ? I know when I had the old material it was much stiffer and moved the teeth in a few days , with the smarttrack it seems to still be moving up to about 9 days or so.

Maybe accelident doesn't work as good with smarttrack?

It sounds like Acceledent is a high tech form of using the chewy. I use that chewy daily, both because it makes the aligners feel like they're seated better and because it feels good to chew on it. I've noticed that by day 7 or 8 my trays fit looser and are easy to pop on and off. The second week of the tray feels more passive to me. I wish there was more information available about the physiology of how this works (I'm guessing stimulated blood flow has a part in this) but the Acceledent website only says:

How is the orthodontic treatment accelerated? Your orthodontics work on their own by moving your teeth in specific directions. AcceleDent Aura uses SoftPulse Technology™ to generate small vibrations, or micropulses, enhancing the movements directed by your orthodontics, allowing for faster tooth movement.

If I had more information on how it worked I would likely pay $1000 max, given that I'm on a two year+ treatment plan. My gut feeling is it probably does work and isn't risky since it's just "vibrations" and no type of radiation is associated.

Blog Entries
    From my understanding, the vibrations from using the Acceledent speeds up the bone remodeling which allow the teeth to move faster. I think using the chewies helps the aligners seat properly but also increases the blood flow, which may make the teeth move a little faster. However, there is no way you could emulate the Acceldent's vibrations with a chewy.

I use the chewies in addition to my Acceledent, although I was only using them minimally until my lateral incisors got off track. All my other trays seemed to fit so perfectly I didn't really think I needed to use the chewies and basically only used them when I first put in a new set of trays.

Interesting point Mandreyka. Maybe it doesn't work as well with the new material since it is a more gradual, constant pressure.

Finished 04/16/2014.

Round 2:
    20 of 20 U/L

18 of 35 U/L

Sorry I've been away for a while. I was in Palm Beach, Florida at the Four Seasons speaking for Align at the Invisalign Ortho Forum. Happy to see this thread has picked up again.

Thank you for the feedback regarding your preferences for financing of AcceleDent. It has been very helpful. Our office has developed two price points and payment plans with or without AcceleDent the same way Christina Marie suggested. The unit costs us about $1000 but we have taken into account a reduction in treatment time that will save us appointments.

So far, we have about 15 patients in AcceleDent and they are on 5-10 day cycles depending on the types of movements. They all comment that the tray changes are very comfortable and there is little to no discomfort on tray changes. Many of our patients have told us that this alone is a reason they are happy to pay a premium for their treatment. It does some of what a chewie does, but the frequency is the key.

One thing to keep in mind is that AcceleDent will not mean your treatment will always go faster since the original plan has to be done properly (ie the ClinCheck). If the upper laterals are not tracking because they do not have attachments, the AcceleDent will not help it track better.

Hope that helps! (and great to see you on this forum lilone!... for those who are interested, she has a long series of entries on another website under braces stories).
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

31. feel free to inbox me for a link:)
    Last edited by lilone; 01-18-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Opening this thread back up because we have had some problems with a shipment of AcceleDent units. The ones that are working are helping our patients move their teeth more quickly and more comfortably.

We had several patients returning the units to us saying they would not hold a charge. We went and tried to charge up a bunch of other ones and found that they too did not hold charges. I spoke with one of the largest volume AcceleDent users in the world and he has found this issue also.

Support is sending us a new shipment to replace all of our units telling us that there is a software issue? Not sure what it is but we did have some disappointed patients because their units were not working properly, delaying their treatment time.

Still, for the ones that have working units, they are really enjoying it!
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

33. Quote Originally Posted by MCOMarkhamOrthodontist View Post
    We had several patients returning the units to us saying they would not hold a charge. We went and tried to charge up a bunch of other ones and found that they too did not hold charges. I spoke with one of the largest volume AcceleDent users in the world and he has found this issue also.
    Dr. Tam, my new model AcceleDent also has trouble holding a charge; although so far it is ok if I just keep it plugged in whenever I am not using it. It can last two uses, if needed, between charging. My old unit could last up to two weeks, so it is a pretty significant difference. With your other patients, did the problem get progressively worse over time?

Not too sure to be honest whether it loses charge over time or abruptly. Give our office a call and let them know the issues you have been having. We'll get you a new one and swap it out when it is ready.
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

Blog Entries
    My unit has never held a charge for more than 3 uses. I believe the instruction booklet says you should be able to use it 3-5 times between charges (I have the Acceledent Aura). A few days ago I received an email from Acceledent with a link to upgrade the software.

http://upgrade.orthoaccel.com/

Finished 04/16/2014.

Round 2:
    20 of 20 U/L

18 of 35 U/L

My unit has never held a charge for more than 3 uses. I believe the instruction booklet says you should be able to use it 3-5 times between charges (I have the Acceledent Aura). A few days ago I received an email from Acceledent with a link to upgrade the software.

http://upgrade.orthoaccel.com/
    We were told about the link to upgrade on our own but I preferred to have new units sent to us. Our patients were having trouble getting through one 20 minute session. Would be interested to see if you find any change after the upgrade!
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

I get about 2-4 uses per charge unfortunately. It's not a big hassle to charge it, but it is a bit frustrating when you find a time to use it and it's out of battery.
    1/15 refinements round 2!

37/37+2 refinements done
    61/61+3 U&L done - 24 attachments + 2 metal buttons (all 26 taken off on 61/64!)

Currently using Acceledent
    Started October 15th, 2013

Blog Entries
    I didn't want to start another Acceledent thread so I'll piggy back on this one.

My ortho recently informed me that he would be able to get me an Acceledent device, but he disclosed that he has no experience with them and has been unable to find long term studies about them.

If I start the treatment soon, I can potentially shave off 10 months of Invisalign. Obviously this is very attractive, but more importantly to me, he also mentioned that he heard from some peers that using the device might help teeth track better and reduce the chances of needing a mid-course correction. Is there any truth to this?

I have scoured the internet and have not seen any reports of teeth being more compliant using Acceledent, only that they move faster. Also, I have only been able to find one single case study for using Acceledent with aligners. The lack of case studies and of information other than blurbs from Acceledent's brochures is troubling, especially with that price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by smootie View Post
    I didn't want to start another Acceledent thread so I'll piggy back on this one.

My ortho recently informed me that he would be able to get me an Acceledent device, but he disclosed that he has no experience with them and has been unable to find long term studies about them.

If I start the treatment soon, I can potentially shave off 10 months of Invisalign. Obviously this is very attractive, but more importantly to me, he also mentioned that he heard from some peers that using the device might help teeth track better and reduce the chances of needing a mid-course correction. Is there any truth to this?

I have scoured the internet and have not seen any reports of teeth being more compliant using Acceledent, only that they move faster. Also, I have only been able to find one single case study for using Acceledent with aligners. The lack of case studies and of information other than blurbs from Acceledent's brochures is troubling, especially with that price tag.
    Absolutely we are finding that aligners are tracking better using AcceleDent. Think of it as a high-power chewie that makes the aligners seat well but then also influences the biology at the required frequency to let the teeth more more quickly. We don't have studies to show this, so I am relying on experience with about 40 AcceleDent patients.
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

Blog Entries
    I have been using Acceledent since my 3rd aligner. I did need a mid-course correction after apprx 6 months because my lateral incisors were not tracking. However, I think I probably should have had attachments on those teeth from the start but I was initially against having attachments on my 4 front teeth. I did have attachments put on my 2 lateral incisors with my mid-course correction. I am now on 11 of 20 aligners (round 2) and it seems like things are moving as they should. I have been changing my aligners apprx every 8 days since my mid-course correction (was changing weekly prior to that). At any rate, I think my teeth are looking really good and I am keeping my fingers crossed for no refinements. It is a lot of money and a bit of a gamble, but 10 months is a lot of time to cut off. In addition, I virtually have no pain or discomfort when I change trays.

Finished 04/16/2014.

Round 2:
    20 of 20 U/L

18 of 35 U/L

BUMP

Hello Everyone!
    I am a brand new invisalign wearer. I literally just had it put in today. While doing some research on hygiene for it, I came across this forum. I then came across this information on acceledent! I am currently scheduled for 46 trays...or about two years! If I could cut that down significantly with acceledent it would really be amazing. The problem is that my ortho does not currently offer acceledent. I called a few of the ortho's in my area that I found on the acceledent website, and I have one who is willing to sell me an acceledent! My question is this: Would it be ok for me to use the acceledent outside of my regular ortho's treatment? Should I tell him about it? I'm not really sure how to approach the situation, but I am definitely certain that I want to start using acceledent as soon as possible. Thanks!

Congrats on getting started with your aligners. My advice would be to ask your orthodontist to see if he can order a unit for you and to work with him on it. If not, ask him if it he would be ok if you purchased a unit from another doctor (ie be completely open). You will need to tell him if you do acquire a unit since you'll need more aligners for a specific interval than you would normally be getting.
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

I'm happy to report that I spoke with the Office Manager today at my ortho's office and she said that the only reason I wasn't offered Acceledent when I began my treatment was because they were finding that most people did not want to pay the extra money required for the device. She advised me that she would be happy to order it for me if it was something that I wanted to do!! I immediately told her yes and we set up an appointment for this coming Monday to start the process of getting me Acceledent. Woohoo! :)

I can definitely see that some people would want the benefit of decreased treatment time and possibly more comfort as some people have stated, I just honestly don't know if I would want to fork out the extra money. I'm already paying the top end for treatment and adding an extra 1000 would be really over the top. However I do have the benefit of my treatment time already being reduced. I was told my multiple orthodontists that treatment with fixed braces would be 3-4 years, however with Invisalign its down to 15-20 months including refinements.

That being said Acceledent certainly seems to be a device people are loving.

What I was wondering is if theres any indication of the effectiveness of using Acceledent vs not using it? Is there any studies so far that have shown benefits other than decreased treatment time?
    http://fixingmysmileinvisalignstyle.blogspot.com.au/

26/26 U
    23/23 L
    9 attachments as of aligner 3
    Changing every 10 days

Refinement 1
    Don't even remember how many

Refinement 2
    11/14 U
    11/11 L

I am a brand new Invisalign+Acceledent patient. My trays won't even come in until 6 weeks from now.
    The interesting part is that I was told to start using Acceledent 3 weeks before I get my first tray.
    The logic of that is to prepare the teeth for the trays. I shall see how that will turn out.

:D

Just had a patient come in today after about 36 trays with AcceleDent. Lower canines were rotated about 60 degrees and I was planning for treatment of about 1.5-2 years with AcceleDent based upon other issues. Photos and scan for refinement are being done in a couple of weeks because there are a few tweaks I want to make, but the patient was happy to complete treatment without further aligners. I wanted to make it perfect so that we could get some good final records and show some amazing work :).
    Dr Jason K Tam

Stouffville Braces Blog

Markham Braces Blog

47. Quote Originally Posted by MCOMarkhamOrthodontist View Post
    Just had a patient come in today after about 36 trays with AcceleDent. Lower canines were rotated about 60 degrees and I was planning for treatment of about 1.5-2 years with AcceleDent based upon other issues. Photos and scan for refinement are being done in a couple of weeks because there are a few tweaks I want to make, but the patient was happy to complete treatment without further aligners. I wanted to make it perfect so that we could get some good final records and show some amazing work :).
    So it works?? ; ) Do you think there is a difference on how old a patient is with accelident? What about bone remodeling? Does it take longer after treatment to get the teeth to "set" in retention?

48. Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    What I was wondering is if theres any indication of the effectiveness of using Acceledent vs not using it? Is there any studies so far that have shown benefits other than decreased treatment time?
    I can back this up with personal experience.

I used Acceledent from the get-go in my Invisalign treatment, which began last fall, and changed aligners every week. I was on a trip a couple months ago when my Acceledent unit broke down. Since I was away I couldn't swap it for a new unit until I returned, so for 2 months I didn't use Acceledent. During that period I wore each aligner for the standard 2 weeks. While I was off Acceledent, the discomfort I felt when putting on new aligners was definitely more noticeable. With Acceledent, the tightness and pain that come from new aligners would last max 2 days; without it, the discomfort easily lasted for 3-4 days or even longer. I perceive this as an indication that Acceledent is helping my teeth track more effectively.

Now that I'm back on Acceledent again, the period of discomfort I felt with the most recent aligner change is back to 2 days.

So from my personal experience, not only does Acceledent shorten treatment time, it also has the additional benefit of reducing the discomfort felt on adjustment day, which is no small matter especially if your treatment lasts for years.
    Last edited by saitojohn; 05-18-2014 at 03:14 AM.

Hi again everyone. Just a little update from me. I got my acceledent today and used it for the very first time. I am half way through aligner 3 (week 1 of 2) of 46 total aligners, so I will use the acceledent for 1 week with this current tray, and then switch to a one-tray-a-week schedule starting with tray #4 next week. I did notice a little bit of jaw discomfort while using the acceledent, but hopefully that will improve as my mouth gets more used to it. After 5 weeks with invisalign now, I can definitely tell my teeth have moved. My severely crowded lower teeth are starting to stand up straighter and there is definitely some spacing in between them now as I am finding that I can floss alot easier. One thing I still don't quite understand is why my ortho gave me 46 aligners for both my top and bottom teeth, even though my lower teeth are WAY worse than my upper teeth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieuclabruin View Post
    One thing I still don't quite understand is why my ortho gave me 46 aligners for both my top and bottom teeth, even though my lower teeth are WAY worse than my upper teeth.
    You more than likely will have passive aligners on your top teeth while your lower teeth are still moving. Think about it this way: you don't want to have to end on tray 22 on your top teeth and keep wearing that tray while you move through trays 23 - 46 on the lowers, right?

I had passive aligners in my initial round of treatment. While my teeth weren't close to being done on top, there was a lot of overcrowding to correct on the bottom. Now that I'm in refinements, there are only small tweaks on both upper & lower to do.
    Invisalign Start Date: 1-17-2013

Initial round of treatment: 24 U&L, 14 attachments
    Refinements 1/28/14: 22 U&L, 16 attachments, 3 metal buttons, 5 elastics

Lower retainer 12/23/14, circumferential elastics
    Upper retainer 1/14/15