Orthodontist said NO Whiting Toothpaste

Is this normal? My teeth are getting awful yellow....

I started out with invisalign, and now have invisaling plus braces on 6 teeth, but when i started invisalign mine said no whitening toothpaste as well. I didn't think to ask why, but have since pretty much always been using whitening toothpaste. Maybe the logic is because they worry you will have different colours under your brackets? I am a coffee drinker, so I feel my teeth will be much whiter under the brackets if I don't use the whitening toothpaste.

Refinement 1: 1/30
    Round one complete
    64 of 67 U
    20 of 20 L
    4 metal buttons, 19 attachments, 4 elastics, 6 brackets...

RedLipstick Guest
    Interesting. I use a fluoride-free toothpaste.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLipstick View Post
    Interesting. I use a fluoride-free toothpaste.
    Wow, fluoride-free? Does that mean you also do NOT use the fluoride the otho provided to be used before bedtime?

RedLipstick Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet= View Post
    Does that mean you also do NOT use the fluoride the otho provided to be used before bedtime?
    Which fluoride are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLipstick= View Post
    Which fluoride are you referring to?
    The fluoride gel to be used before bedtime.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I started out with invisalign, and now have invisaling plus braces on 6 teeth, but when i started invisalign mine said no whitening toothpaste as well. I didn't think to ask why, but have since pretty much always been using whitening toothpaste. Maybe the logic is because they worry you will have different colours under your brackets? I am a coffee drinker, so I feel my teeth will be much whiter under the brackets if I don't use the whitening toothpaste.
    My ortho told me the same thing, do not use whitening toothpaste or mouthwash. He said because once you take off the brackets, it'll leave a nasty stain. I'm not a coffee drinker, however. They give me a special braces mouthwash made by Colgate. It's supposed to help with that too I belive. You can purchase it from Wal-mart. My ortho will be doing a whitening treatment at the end of my braces treatment. So you may want to just run that by your ortho to see if they do a whitening treatment or if there is something special you can use.

RedLipstick Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet= View Post
    The fluoride gel to be used before bedtime.
    I wasn't given any kind of fluoride.

RedLipstick Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinagrl View Post
    They give me a special braces mouthwash made by Colgate.
    I was given Colgate Peroxyl Mouth Sore Rinse.

My ortho also mentioned that I must not use whitening toothpaste as it will cause staining once the braces are off...

Expected Time: 18 months

I didn't use whitening products on my teeth the entire time, except for I think two days before my engagement photos I was allowed to use a whitening mouthwash. Everything I used had fluoride in it. I had no spots on my teeth when I got them off today. Like you, my teeth were looking pretty horribly stained (I drink a lot of cranberry juice and iced/hot teas, and occasionally a dark colored soda), but I'm glad I didn't have the spots to worry about and they look pretty bright now that the braces are off.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]